Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Devs/Mods please let us know if the secret space project is still in development

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Devs/Mods please let us know if the secret space project is still in development
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MisterBlackJack
08.13.2012 , 01:03 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
There is nothing to put on hold, space is working as intended.

Never have I read they were creating an enitre revamp to space. (only in player posts)

Illium is a bust, Open world pvp is non existent, still cant sit in chairs, there are no chat bubbles, no hide companion helmet options, We just got a LFG button, no paid character tranfers yet, heck it took months to implement the free transfers.

It is silly to think they have resources on some "super secret space project", if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck its a duck. We already have space, sorry if you dont like it but its what we have.

Space did not save SWG, it wont save SWTOR, F2P store will bring enough money in that revamping space would be a waste of resources.
Yes they did say they are revamping or more specifically Daniel Erickson said the Space combat they are working on is "REVOLUTIONARY" and they said it's completely different to the current space combat system.

Source: (Interview with Daniel Erickson at E32012) http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...aniel-erickson

[Quote]
In the future content trailer we saw the addition of a new space combat mission named “Space Station Assault.” Was this the secret space development you were talking about?

DE: No.

Something different?

DE: Yeah. It’s a very exciting space mission; it really feels different from the other ones. The flavor of the feel is very different when you’re trying to race through the middle of a space station and all that stuff. But it is at the core an evolution above the space game as it is.

What we’re talking about in the future is revolutionary. We’re talking about a completely different pixel space.
THE FORCE FIGHTS WITH ME.....IN THE C.E. V.I.P LOUNGE

bahdasz
08.13.2012 , 01:53 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint
That should be on BioWare's memo letterhead tbh.

Unless they're trying to buy SWG's space engine, including crafting, from SOE it's still going to suck. As I predicted over a year ago, space content in this game is rail shooting arcade game crap. Someone called it "Starfox 2" the other day, and that pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Pollish a terd all you want, at the end of the day it's still just a shiny terd.

PS- BW should ask SOE to sell SWG:JTL to them, Sony'd probably sell after seeing how their company's been doing lately.

Diktat
08.13.2012 , 03:25 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by bahdasz View Post
That should be on BioWare's memo letterhead tbh.

Unless they're trying to buy SWG's space engine, including crafting, from SOE it's still going to suck. As I predicted over a year ago, space content in this game is rail shooting arcade game crap. Someone called it "Starfox 2" the other day, and that pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Pollish a terd all you want, at the end of the day it's still just a shiny terd.

PS- BW should ask SOE to sell SWG:JTL to them, Sony'd probably sell after seeing how their company's been doing lately.
That's not possible. JTL was developed for another engine that has nothing to do with Hero enghine, JTL code is completely useless. Besides, the only thing that can work is build the space up from scratch, but that means heavily tweak the engine to handle a JTL-like space expansion.. I don't think that will happen beacuse it means put tons of money again in the game and at this point EA is trying to cut loses. They won't invest more than what is abosolutely necessary to keep the game running and set up the F2P store.

So the only possible path to make space more starswarsy is keep the same space instances/missions but without rails with some limited PVP if they see it feasible.
SWGEmu "... you're my only hope"

Goretzu
08.13.2012 , 05:28 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Diktat View Post
That's not possible. JTL was developed for another engine that has nothing to do with Hero enghine, JTL code is completely useless. Besides, the only thing that can work is build the space up from scratch, but that means heavily tweak the engine to handle a JTL-like space expansion.. I don't think that will happen beacuse it means put tons of money again in the game and at this point EA is trying to cut loses. They won't invest more than what is abosolutely necessary to keep the game running and set up the F2P store.

So the only possible path to make space more starswarsy is keep the same space instances/missions but without rails with some limited PVP if they see it feasible.

People have said SWG and JTL used seperate engines, I dunno how true that is.

However the newest versions of the Hero Engine do support "space"....... and frankly upgrading the whole game to that might solve a lot of other problems too.

If all they do is mildly take space off the rails then it's never going to be what most people want.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Katsuragisama
08.13.2012 , 06:08 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Saltydogg View Post
LOL what project this ****** game is done. No more content for anyone just like Warhammer
^This. Right now we keep getting empty promises backed by, "We will pass up your interest!" They know we're interested. I would assume they work in the same building, how hard is it to get some information? Could you imagine how much excitement they could possibly generate if they just took 5 screenshots and posted it on the front page? But we dont even get that.

To me that says they might have scrapped it, and keep repeating that it is currently in the works, or promises of Soon™. This is just to keep you wondering in hopes to keep you subbed based off of empty promises. People already lost interest, and more continue to lose interest and unsub each day. As far as I'm concerned, this game is probably already done in.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time... We're not gouging, but we're charging.

vandana_
08.13.2012 , 06:39 AM | #76
I'm sorry to disappoint, but we don't have any new information or updates regarding Space right now. We've definitely heard your requests for news or info, though, and will keep passing up your interest!
well, lets hope it makes its way to swtor eventually.
if raiders of rohan was possible maybe space is possible as well.
on a separate engine obviously.
V'ox

kevlarto
08.13.2012 , 06:53 AM | #77
I'm sorry to disappoint, but we don't have any new information or updates regarding Space right now. We've definitely heard your requests for news or info, though, and will keep passing up your interest!
Just a yes or no, answer is all I am looking for, no updates no details, with your answer, one can assume it has been shelved atm while the transfer to f2p takes place or scrapped all together. No new information is needed with a yes or no answer..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Diktat
08.13.2012 , 07:29 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post

However the newest versions of the Hero Engine do support "space"....... and frankly upgrading the whole game to that might solve a lot of other problems too.

If all they do is mildly take space off the rails then it's never going to be what most people want.
JTL client was the same as SWG client, so no, JTL was not developed for anothre engine.

But lest's say it could be another engine. The problem is not a question of graphics, is how the client negotiates data traffic with server side of the engine, so basically ground and space engines must be the same because they've got to understand and be undertood by the server side.

Use the later versions of Hero engine is no possible. BW adtimited that they have changed so much the version of their engine to the point is no longer compatible with any subsequent version.
SWGEmu "... you're my only hope"

Lazirus-
08.13.2012 , 08:04 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNv-cZk72k

Not true, unfortunately. Which sucks... JTL would be so nice.
"It is said correctly that law exists not for the just but for the unjust, for the just carry the law in their hearts, and do not need to call it from afar."
Master Fitze Felix | Jedi Shadow | The Harbinger

AllisonBerryman
08.13.2012 , 03:30 PM | #80 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I got some info from Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) about this for you! He says that the "super secret space project" is certainly not dead and is in development. Unfortunately, we're not ready to say much more than that about it. We do, though, have more space content coming in the near future, and will continue work on the "super secret space project!"