Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW's first big mistake - the Era.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
BW's first big mistake - the Era.

AidenCast
08.12.2012 , 02:34 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by SNCommand View Post
SWG was in the original trilogy era and that certainly did not play out better

Personally I think this era was the best choice, things are recognizable, but still removed far enough to have freedom artistically and storywise
I'd have to agree. SWG suffered from two major era problems to me. One, it was stuck in the time period between Episodes 4 and 5 and so as people have said left the scope from any story development pretty minimal and when they did it tended to be at odds with canon. Two, the Jedi/Sith problem although in the expanded universe there were apparently a few other force users floating around in this period, realistically there are only 3 lightsiders and 2 darksiders around according to the films. SOE never really got round this problem and the fact that people want to play force-users. Period immersion was broken quite a lot by having 20 or 30 people running around in social hubs with sabers.
Cancelled 1/8/12
RIP TOR - Another casualty of F2P

kevlarto
08.12.2012 , 02:38 PM | #32

Personally I think this era was the best choice, things are recognizable, but still removed far enough to have freedom artistically and storywise
I agree, the original trilogy did not give them much wiggle room, but heck later on they pretty much threw cannon out the window any way..

This era gives the teams some writing room..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Skorz
08.12.2012 , 02:54 PM | #33
SWG was in the original trilogy era and that certainly did not play out
Yeah hundreds of player Jedi running around when in reality there were only few force users around in that era

dosadnik
08.12.2012 , 02:54 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by RazielHex View Post
Are you kidding? He was in every single cinematic leading up to the game's release.

He kills Satele Shan's Master, Kao Den Darach. He kills Darth Vindican, his own Master. He leads the assault on the Jedi Temple and destroys it. He kills Master Ven Zallow, the leader of the Temple. He's there in the assault of Alderaan. He nearly kills Satele Shan AND Jace Malcolm by himself!

He orchestrates everything the Empire does. Every single flashpoint is a single stroke of his master plan. He has the players go to Hammer Station in order to obtain the Advocent technology. He has the players go attack Clan Varad in order to gain an allegiance of a competing Mandalorian Clan. He has players track down and kill Darth Revan so he can control the Foundry. He has the players perform in the Colicoid War games to have access to their weaponry. He has the players assault the Red Reaper and kill his Master's master, Darth Ikoral, to ensure that the Pureblood Hegemony will not return to the Empire.

Then when all of this is complete, he performs a coup d'etat, using every single element of all the previous flashpoints as his own tools to become the New Emperor so he could make the Sith Empire more like the Republic.
Can you please put Spoiler tags around that? I don't think people would appreciate the flashpoints being spoiled for them. Thank you!
The online encyclopedia for TOR, that anyone can edit!

Caito Level 55 Jedi Knight The Red Eclipse

dosadnik
08.12.2012 , 03:03 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
I'm just saying that for the casual gamer and casual Star Wars fan, the more closely it sticks to the original trilogy, the better.
That is so untrue IMO OP. A "casual" Star Wars Fan wouldn't care any of those stuff. He wouldn't even distinguish The Original Trilogy from the Prequel one. He wouldn't care that this is set 3000 years before the Battle of Yavin. He probably wouldn't even know when that was. What he would care about is that it is called "Star Wars"; It's a game and it has Lightsabers, the Force and cool looking Bad Guys. What you are describing would more likely fit to a Die Hard Fan of the Original Trilogy that thinks everything other than the Original Trilogy is blasphemy. Do you get what I'm saying? I hope that made sense lol
The online encyclopedia for TOR, that anyone can edit!

Caito Level 55 Jedi Knight The Red Eclipse

Morrolan
08.12.2012 , 03:06 PM | #36
I prefer the TOR era to the movie era.
[harbinger]
Alieraxx - Sentinel / Morroian - Shadow
Miranda-Zero - Operative / Whiskey-jackxx - Powertech

Minguss
08.12.2012 , 03:10 PM | #37

I will bet anything I own SWG will be around longer than TOR. (as i wait for the server cap to to lift on basilisk). Tor wont last half as long as galaxies did in retail and it will never get the dedication the EMU has. In fact i would not be surprised if LA re-opened galaxies becauseI think it would net them more subscription$$ than this does.
Bulletproof - Mingus - Pof5 -
Refugee from Flurry - Minguss/John-Moses/Bulletproof

Artrii
08.12.2012 , 03:14 PM | #38
The rule of two is the perfect explanation as to why this era was a good choice. The rule of two was implemented by Darth Bane after the Battle of Ruusan when he tricked all the other sith lords into destroying themselves with the thought bomb. The rule of two states that there should never be more than two sith at any one time. One to hold the power, and one to crave it. So, how would players get to be sith in an era when there are only allowed to be two sith? This is one of the reasons why they picked this era to make the game take place in... that and also because this is supposed to be KoTOR 3, 4, and 5 all rolled into one if I remember correctly from one of the videos they posted back before the game ever even hit the beta testing stage. If you never played Knights of the Old Republic (1 and 2), I would suggest you try them out. You'll understand more of the storyline for this game if you do.
Homwrecker Jehavey'ir
Master Vytuia Zu'a

The Harbinger

Minguss
08.12.2012 , 03:14 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by AidenCast View Post
I'd have to agree. SWG suffered from two major era problems to me. One, it was stuck in the time period between Episodes 4 and 5 and so as people have said left the scope from any story development pretty minimal and when they did it tended to be at odds with canon. Two, the Jedi/Sith problem although in the expanded universe there were apparently a few other force users floating around in this period, realistically there are only 3 lightsiders and 2 darksiders around according to the films. SOE never really got round this problem and the fact that people want to play force-users. Period immersion was broken quite a lot by having 20 or 30 people running around in social hubs with sabers.
When it was made a starting profesion and Visabillity was thrown out it was ruined. I think I saw 1-2 sabers the first couple years I played and normally you would only see them in PVP. Most Jedi did not want visabillity and those that didn't care had a BH after them all the time and that was the price of too many jedi.
Bulletproof - Mingus - Pof5 -
Refugee from Flurry - Minguss/John-Moses/Bulletproof

Izorii
08.12.2012 , 03:15 PM | #40
I kinda agree with the OP. If the game was stronger I would not care but the game has a number of issues which could have been ignored had I felt the game was more star wars episodes IV - VI and less episode 1.