Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW's first big mistake - the Era.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
BW's first big mistake - the Era.

DPCummerbund
08.12.2012 , 01:03 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The game exposes you to planets and lore that are mere sketched outlines in the movies. They expanded lore detail for you and you complain about it.

Conclusion: you want to play an MMO in the movie timeline. That's fine, but you know... they did not hide the fact that the lore was in a different timeline. You purchased it knowing this.
Yes, I knew what this was when I purchased it. And a lot of people undoubtedly saw what it was and decided NOT to purchase it, or purchased it and then quit.

Case in point - the CE is now on sale for like $30 at many stores. I'd consider getting it, and putting the statue on my desk, if it was Darth Vader instead of Darth Malgus. I'd bet a lot of people feel the same.
"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the Dark Side." - Kira Carsen
"You there! I'm drafting you into the Imperial Reclamation Service's... service." - Lieutenant Whist

grombrinda
08.12.2012 , 01:06 PM | #22
Umm...you know the first two words to the title of this game should be enough to attract casual gamers..."Star Wars".
My bud doesn't know any of the extended universe story or lore, but none the less he is enjoying himself greatly.
Hasn't even jumped on his PS3 in almost a week now...that says a lot.
And the CE get's you more than the statue....jeez picky people.
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

Vermas
08.12.2012 , 01:17 PM | #23
Their first mistake was the whole red zone BS, it baffles me how some country's are still locked out from this game.

defenestrated
08.12.2012 , 01:17 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?
Not me, for one. I probably wouldn't have bought the game. This just smacks of all the moments in the prequels that shamelessly referenced the original trilogy for no reason other than misguided fan service. I'm not saying you can't set a game at some point during the movie timelines - many good games have done this - but it shouldn't just be because you need it in order to make the story compelling.

DPCummerbund
08.12.2012 , 01:21 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by grombrinda View Post
Umm...you know the first two words to the title of this game should be enough to attract casual gamers..."Star Wars".
My bud doesn't know any of the extended universe story or lore, but none the less he is enjoying himself greatly.
Hasn't even jumped on his PS3 in almost a week now...that says a lot.
And the CE get's you more than the statue....jeez picky people.

I'm not saying the game isn't enjoyable as it is, or that the story for this era isn't allowed to be better than the original trilogy. I'm just saying that for the casual gamer and casual Star Wars fan, the more closely it sticks to the original trilogy, the better.

And I'm not saying that there aren't any cool Star Wars elements. I think the Jedi & Sith powers are very well done. And my BH feels very much like I would expect a BH to be.

And there definitely are some good "trilogy" companions, like Jawas and Wookies. I think it would have been better to get them before other non-trilogy companions.

For example, I've lost count of the number of bugs & monsters I've slain. Whether it's rakghouls on Taris or Killiks on Alderaan, i've killed a lot of bugs. But I think I've only fought a handful of rancors, and no AT-ATs or AT-STs.
"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the Dark Side." - Kira Carsen
"You there! I'm drafting you into the Imperial Reclamation Service's... service." - Lieutenant Whist

grombrinda
08.12.2012 , 01:42 PM | #26
I'm not saying the game isn't enjoyable as it is, or that the story for this era isn't allowed to be better than the original trilogy. I'm just saying that for the casual gamer and casual Star Wars fan, the more closely it sticks to the original trilogy, the better.

And I'm not saying that there aren't any cool Star Wars elements. I think the Jedi & Sith powers are very well done. And my BH feels very much like I would expect a BH to be.

And there definitely are some good "trilogy" companions, like Jawas and Wookies. I think it would have been better to get them before other non-trilogy companions.

For example, I've lost count of the number of bugs & monsters I've slain. Whether it's rakghouls on Taris or Killiks on Alderaan, i've killed a lot of bugs. But I think I've only fought a handful of rancors, and no AT-ATs or AT-STs.
First 2 post should've answered your question. No at-at or at-st because they don't exist yet per game time line.
And this era is fine for an mmo..Mr. Lucas has a tight reign on what you can and can not do in the timeline he created. Ergo why they did it in the past, as long as it doesn't meddle with what is in the movies or what Lucas has in his "bible" then they are free to do want they can, with permission of course.
As an example, I'm pretty sure that Mr. Lucas said no to any type of jedi wookies , that was after Lowbacca btw.
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

Ashu-ri
08.12.2012 , 02:01 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
If it wasn't in the Old Republic era, even fewer people would play. Why?

Everyone wants lightsabers. And this is one of the only eras where there are numerous Jedi and Sith.

People forget that SWG didn't originally allow you to be a Force user.
^^ This. The Rule of Two with the Sith was not in effect yet - although we can certainly see why it happened - the Empire would never prosper with all the Sith Machinations going on. People want to be Jedi, they want to be Sith.

Redat
08.12.2012 , 02:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SNCommand View Post
SWG was in the original trilogy era and that certainly did not play out better

Personally I think this era was the best choice, things are recognizable, but still removed far enough to have freedom artistically and storywise
QFT! For example, SWG was set at a point in the timeline we all know and there lies the limitations........Devs have to lay out content in accordance with the lore, unless you want to really throw it out of the window (a la SOE and the 1000000's of jedi parading around when according to lore there were a handful) and alieneate the fans of the IP. this era was the best choice with more oppportunities for real original material which fits, without compromising the lore.

ahnog
08.12.2012 , 02:23 PM | #29
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
The simple fact is that Jedis were rare in Vader's time and you can't have a Star Wars game unless anyone can play a Jedi. I think BW/EA/Lucas choose the exact right time.
Ahnog
Hokey religions can't replace a good blaster at your side

Rafaman
08.12.2012 , 02:32 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The game exposes you to planets and lore that are mere sketched outlines in the movies. They expanded lore detail for you and you complain about it.

Conclusion: you want to play an MMO in the movie timeline. That's fine, but you know... they did not hide the fact that the lore was in a different timeline. You purchased it knowing this.
I agree with this^ OP. This isn't Star Wars A New Hope. It wasn't meant to be. They chose KOTOR as the compelling element. And why not. KOTOR is widely acknowledged as one of the best RPGs of all time. It sold millions of copies. And what's more, the KOTOR universe gave BW the ability to create and explore new aspects of a Star Wars story without being bound by the convention of the New Hope timeline.

It works perfectly. Story is the strongest element of the game.