Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW's first big mistake - the Era.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
BW's first big mistake - the Era.

Wolfninjajedi
08.12.2012 , 12:38 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by mitchsts View Post
uhh... im pretty sure it played out better. it lasted around 8 years and even when they took it down it still had a populated server.

oh yeah, and it was fun. there was stuff to do end game.
Sandbox and Themepark two different things, and no SWG didn't play out any better. What did you really do that connected a person with the SW world? Sure you could be a moisture farmer....you could travel around planets, but in terms of quests and missions what was there really? The only thing remotely that connected someone to the actual battle between the Rebellion and Empire was the Battle of Hoth heroic.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

SNCommand
08.12.2012 , 12:39 PM | #12
uhh... im pretty sure it played out better. it lasted around 8 years and even when they took it down it still had a populated server.

300 000 subscribers at its highest and 10 000 concurrent users two years later isn't anything close to better, and proves that putting it in that time era does not make a game better
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

TheRealCandyMan
08.12.2012 , 12:39 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
So as I'm approaching level 50 with my first toon, I must say I'm disappointed with the level of "Star Warsyness" of this game. I would assume that BW and EA were willing to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at a game is the huge base of people out there who are Star Wars fans. Any by "Star Wars fans", I mean people who watched & liked the original trilogy.

For example, why does this Darth Malgus character show up all over the place? How many more people would play this game if it was Darth Vader?

So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.

Okay, I sort of remember the Twi'lek dancers, so that's kind of cool. But who are the Mirakula, or whatever they're called? And those Chiss, or the Sith?

I'm sure lots of people who are familiar with the "Extended Universe" get all excited for references to Darth Revan, but the average person doesn't. Darth Revan wasn't worth a $100 million MMORPG. Darth Vader would be.
Have you been paying attention to the story at all?

SNCommand
08.12.2012 , 12:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealCandyMan View Post
He did keep calling the Rebel Alliance the Republic in another post so I guess details aren't that important
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

xovofactor
08.12.2012 , 12:47 PM | #15

SWG was the one game OP should've looked at and yes it did play out better no matter how much people say it didn't.

I think that the era is a great fit for bioware as they released the previous two games in the ToR series they aren't going to go and expand on an over used era that has no room for imagination they are going to stick with their bread and butter which is prior to the movies era. It just allows them to expand their Star Wars universe from the first two games.
Scoundrel. < The Original Legacy >
Unity is Strength
Canderous Ordo... For the Republic!

Jenzali
08.12.2012 , 12:48 PM | #16
If it wasn't in the Old Republic era, even fewer people would play. Why?

Everyone wants lightsabers. And this is one of the only eras where there are numerous Jedi and Sith.

People forget that SWG didn't originally allow you to be a Force user.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Vespassian
08.12.2012 , 12:52 PM | #17
Just because "The Era" wasn't the first thing Lucas made into a movie doesn't mean its not worth the money. I actually like Revan's time more.
JOREL
COLE

Andryah
08.12.2012 , 12:53 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
The era is actually fine, this gives BW a huge open spot to put in their own lore and all that. Whereas if they did it in a different era, they would have to be careful in how they would go about making the game and trying not to disrupt any lore....especially if the game was set during the movies era, then your really limiting what is able to happen.
I agree.

The game needs to be in a different timeline then the movies. And it is.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

DPCummerbund
08.12.2012 , 12:53 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by RazielHex View Post
Are you kidding? He was in every single cinematic leading up to the game's release.

He kills Satele Shan's Master...
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealCandyMan View Post

Yes, I've been paying attention to the story in this game. But my point is that none of these things are in the original trilogy. And if the whole point in throwing a bunch of money at an established franchise - and then making it F2P to attract casual gamers - is to appeal to the casual players and casual fans, none of whom know or care who Darth Malgus is.

And pretty much every comment I've seen about Darth Malgus on on-gaming sites is "Who is this guy? He looks like Darth Vader, except without a mask. How lame."
"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the Dark Side." - Kira Carsen
"You there! I'm drafting you into the Imperial Reclamation Service's... service." - Lieutenant Whist

Andryah
08.12.2012 , 12:56 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
So far, the only planets I've really liked are Tatooine and Hoth, and Alderaan. Before playing this game, I had never heard of Taris, or Nar Shadda, or Belsavis, or any of those other planets.
The game exposes you to planets and lore that are mere sketched outlines in the movies. They expanded lore detail for you and you complain about it.

Conclusion: you want to play an MMO in the movie timeline. That's fine, but you know... they did not hide the fact that the lore was in a different timeline. You purchased it knowing this.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.