Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Skill vs. Gear


Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
08.11.2012 , 08:04 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Brool View Post
you are right its gear vs gear..

Question. What do you call it when its a WH vs WH geared player?

Is it still gear vs gear?
No. What do you call it when it's recruit vs recruit?

Getting people in WH is more difficult than recruit. WH is meant to give oldies an ability to farm recruit. If it was straight carrot-on-stick, then there would be brackets.

They don't mix in black-hole content inside of tionese content, do they? PvE is about gear, so bioware matched the gear content. PvP is definately about gear, and they didn't match the gear content. This is the problem. I don't care about how long it takes to get WH. I care not about the quantity of days but more so of the quality; It's not fun to get rolled over.

Granted, I'm in full bm w/ one WH now. I'm not 4-hitted as much.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

iamef's Avatar


iamef
08.11.2012 , 09:00 AM | #52
You know, I have been on the forums a lot lately trying to rebuke the QQ about PvP gear... And you know, maybe I have been a little hard on people (I am now about half BM / half WH myself now, with augments on all 14 slots). Last night though I happened to join a PuG (which is about all I do) and notice another Commando that must have been a very fresh 50 in truly all recruit gear. Wow. I have just over 19,000 HP. This guy had 13,500. My base dmg is about 800 to 1100, I think his was 500 to 750. Crit chance, mine is 43% (buffed) his was 27%. I think our expertise dmg reduction / bonus was within about 5% though...

Obviously, this guy was going to have a very hard time standing up to anything, and that is probably a little unfair given the way single queuing works in general, and where after say, 7 or 8pm especially, you have a very good chance of meeting geared premades of 3 or 4 players over and over again. Bioware could definitely do a better job in this regard, and perhaps also the should boost up recruit gear rating so that it is closer to BM (which is an enormous improvement over recruit, whereas WH is only incremental over BM).

Anyway, this guy ended up with only so so stats, but he did get a win as the rest of our group was some combination of geared and skilled and we actually did quite well. So, while I can definitely understand the frustration of fresh 50s, and I think Recruit gear is likely too weak, I stick by other things I've said before which are:

Get a group to queue and be a group player
Run some dailies and get augments and exotech stims (as well as gear for companions)

If you do those things, I can't imagine how you won't have nearly full (and maybe even fully augmented) battlemaster with a week or two of moderate playing. I know that might be too much time, or not inline with the philosophy of the "all should be gear equal in PvP" purists, but it can't be that bad, and you should be picking up wins and kills along the way and not always getting rolled...

-----
--- Er'nesto / Er'nestoo / Nestero / Ėrnesto ---

WOOK -- The Shadowlands

Siorac's Avatar


Siorac
08.11.2012 , 09:25 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by PicthShemet View Post
Skill vs gear? How about auto-aim vs hand/eye coordination? You should have to aim to hit your targets. I feel like skill vs gear is just nitpicking when reflex time and aim aren't involved. PvP would be so sick if your had to aim your cryo grenades and high impact bolts at your targets and a miss would result in a cool down. Sadly, most (all?) mmo communities can't handle skill differentials like those found in CS or Quake. The first MMO that requires FPS skill in addition to knowing how to counter/use abilities will be the perfect competitive gaming platform.
MMORPGs are, by definition, RPGs. Not FPS games. Not hard to understand the difference.

Brool's Avatar


Brool
08.11.2012 , 09:40 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
It's not. But why not make it so every has greens vs greens? Then everyone would always have been on equal footing. Right now not everyone is on equal footing.

Your post is invalid.
So is yours.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.

Brool's Avatar


Brool
08.11.2012 , 09:42 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
No. What do you call it when it's recruit vs recruit?

Getting people in WH is more difficult than recruit. WH is meant to give oldies an ability to farm recruit. If it was straight carrot-on-stick, then there would be brackets.

They don't mix in black-hole content inside of tionese content, do they? PvE is about gear, so bioware matched the gear content. PvP is definately about gear, and they didn't match the gear content. This is the problem. I don't care about how long it takes to get WH. I care not about the quantity of days but more so of the quality; It's not fun to get rolled over.

Granted, I'm in full bm w/ one WH now. I'm not 4-hitted as much.
I've geared out 3 toons, not all in full wh, only 1. However, its not hard to grind to battlemaster. If you dont like this system, GW2 comes out shortly.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.

Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
08.11.2012 , 12:23 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Brool View Post
I've geared out 3 toons, not all in full wh, only 1. However, its not hard to grind to battlemaster. If you dont like this system, GW2 comes out shortly.
It's not the grind thats making people QQ. It's the fact that they're getting crushed.


Okay, a few morons are QQing about the grind, but really, a few posts above me (The long one), you'll see just how bad WH + augments vs recruit is... Almost 60% more base damage, and like 15% more crit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box