Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mysterious, blue-skinned Chiss too recognizable to work covertly as Agents?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Mysterious, blue-skinned Chiss too recognizable to work covertly as Agents?

Vyvyn
08.08.2012 , 03:35 PM | #1
I'm having a blast as a human Consular Shadow but want a taste of the Dark Side. I'm considering a Chiss Imperial Agent, since the consensus is that the story is fantastic.

The blue skin and mysterious backstory of the Chiss seem to fit the 007 vibe of the agent's character. However, doesn't an agent need to be fairly nondescript to assume different identities, operate without drawing attention, work from the shadows, etc.? People would tend to remember "the blue guy," right?

Captain_Zone
08.08.2012 , 03:38 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Vyvyn View Post
I'm having a blast as a human Consular Shadow but want a taste of the Dark Side. I'm considering a Chiss Imperial Agent, since the consensus is that the story is fantastic.

The blue skin and mysterious backstory of the Chiss seem to fit the 007 vibe of the agent's character. However, doesn't an agent need to be fairly nondescript to assume different identities, operate without drawing attention, work from the shadows, etc.? People would tend to remember "the blue guy," right?
While the Chiss weren't, and still aren't widely known to the Galaxy at large, they've been spotted in quite a few professions from Jedi Knights to bartenders. Just because a character is Chiss doesn't mean he or she is in the Empire's pocket.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

kirorx
08.09.2012 , 04:35 PM | #3
That is why mine is a twi'lek. Nobody would ever suspect him.

BenjaminminU
08.09.2012 , 04:46 PM | #4
Thats why my agent is human, and my Chiss character will be the female powertech
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

bobmcbo
08.09.2012 , 08:27 PM | #5
That's exactly why. People would see them and think "the empire isn't stupid enough to send a race that obvious to spy... right?"
OMG! Imperial ships can get a .00008% power increase! Nerf the empire!

Mutive
08.11.2012 , 07:31 AM | #6
I always found the idea of using chiss as agents to be rather lulzy as well. It feels like the Republic ought to catch on. (Then again, the SIS don't seem to be all that bright no matter which side you play on. I still love, how as a trooper, it felt like half the SIS were in the organization just so that the authorities would overlook their weapons trading and spice dealing. Oh, Republic, you're so amusingly chaotic!) But, you know, suspension of disbelief. And if it bothers you that much, there are a lot of other species you can play. (Human and twi'lek seem especially good to me, as they're found on both sides.)

PaerisKiran
08.11.2012 , 02:24 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Vyvyn View Post

Not really... since you get thousand times more distinct wookies, trandoshans, Ithorians...

Amount of nearhuman races in the galaxy is so big... and well Ascendancy is not exactly widely known in this era. (and those few Chiss in outer rim always went beyond notice, as majority of populace was always restricted to Ascendancy...)

You know when Grand Admiral Thrawn roled over New Republic noone really knew his race.

And well only after Thrawn made them famous... and Luke stumbled on the Empire of the Hand galaxy started to truly started to be wary of Chiss.
When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy od all is war, which provided for every man, by victory or death.

Kaisernick
08.11.2012 , 04:48 PM | #8
ah but were the Pantorans around back then cause if you look herethere very human like but blue.

so given the amount of species in star wars how many blue guys are out there?

Temeluchus
08.11.2012 , 08:14 PM | #9
While the Ascendancy is allied with the Empire, there are numerous Chiss colonies,enclaves and groups out there that are independent of the Ascendancy(most are in Hutt space);so one shouldn't assume that a random Chiss is an Imperial.

The Chiss have one of the smaller populations of known aliens in the universe but they still number in the trillions, pretty hard to say that each and every one of the species are Imperial or even covertly Pro-Imperial.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

ebado
08.12.2012 , 12:54 AM | #10
The Empire invaded ~40 years before the events of this game. There's a reasonable expectation that defections and simple diaspora, at least on a small scale, led to Chiss who were not assumed to be connected to the Empire.

Given that a Chiss biologically matured faster than humans (adulthood started about age 13 for Chiss, sexual maturity likely a little before then), it's possible a Chiss character in this game could be a third or fourth generation defector in the Republic. Probably not likely that there are a ton of them, but it can be reasonably assumed there are some.

It's also reasonable to think that the Chiss would not stand out. There are thousands upon thousands of species in the galaxy. A blue skinned, red eyed being with human features probably doesn't turn that many heads.
kolto and corrosives
window legacy - the bastion