Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordTrikke
08.08.2012 , 10:18 PM | #1011
Hey! I have a great Idea. Lets make everything free to play. I know, we can start with what ever company YOU work for. Let us all know how that worked out will you!!!!
LordTrikke

CygnusMX
08.08.2012 , 11:32 PM | #1012
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTrikke View Post
Hey! I have a great Idea. Lets make everything free to play. I know, we can start with what ever company YOU work for. Let us all know how that worked out will you!!!!
start by asking the creators of guildwars 1,they seemed to have remained intact 8 years later to create guildwars 2
buy core game, play for free.
Just an example that it has been done.
Same with alot of co-op or multiuplayer games.
Buy game play online or if multiplayer shooter,buy game shoot people online for free.
Why should mmos be different than other genres.
Might end up with more players and more core game sales.
There was no coffee, and to survive you had to sift through the hair on your girlfriend's back for lice as a source of nutrition ...If she waxed her back you'de die

Rallock
08.09.2012 , 12:22 AM | #1013
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryshard View Post
Enter the Pecking Order...

1) Your unfortunately less well off than the other players, so you play normal content but miss out on what other people can afford.

2) You've got a bit of dosh to throw around every now and then... Maybe buy this, maybe buy that and enjoy a few perks.

3) You've got a job, a steady monthly income and you can afford the whole game, so you get to see what other players don't.

EVERYONE PERSON PLAYING THE SAME GAME SHOULD HAVE THE SAME EXPERIENCE!

Uh... so everyone should be able to play this game for free?... get everything for free?...and have access to all content for free?... so, who's paying for the upkeep of the game at this point? the servers? the employees? the incentive to keep coming out with new material?

Sorry, I don't get it-

Rallock
08.09.2012 , 12:41 AM | #1014
Quote: Originally Posted by bobbyieboy View Post
this is a bad idea. Bioware do yourself a favor. Buy out ea and run this your way.
yes!!!! Buy them out for the love of god!!!!

shegoy
08.09.2012 , 12:42 AM | #1015
I warned of this the moment there was a hint of F2P and i was shot down by a protest that it was only free trial haha
i was right after all.

Initially what seems now to be a definite separation between subscribers getting all and F2P player being limited etc, however like many games before, as the F2P experiment gains popularity that line will quickly get thinner due to major expansion into micro transactions and loss of subs to F2P and BW resorting to easing off restrictions.

Not to mention there will come a time where even subscribers are going to have to pay more than their sub in order to have everything and be competitive with each other.

Those who defend BW due to being self proclaimed SW fans, that's what BW have put all their chips on that you will blindly follow them into the abyss with this project all in the name of George Lucas and the SW's Universe. Eventually even you people will realize turning something into a turd with SW's branding on it aint going to cut the buck, but if not well that's your choice no one can make it for you.
The Watchers In The Dark ( Empire, The Red Eclipse)
EvilPaddy: Sorcerer Healer
Viagrus: Operative Healer
Arsonist: Powertech DPS

Rallock
08.09.2012 , 12:52 AM | #1016
DEVS....? could you please give us some feedback here? I really am trying to remain optimistic about this... but your lack of input after all of these posts really is a bit unsettling... hello?

dshoop
08.09.2012 , 12:58 AM | #1017
i think they should seperate the servers, allow those of us who want to play subscription get to choose between a f2p server and a subscription server while f2p players are obviously on f2p servers, that way subscribers don't have to put up with the idiots that join f2p games and ruin it for the rest of us.

JennyLimbo
08.09.2012 , 12:59 AM | #1018
Quote: Originally Posted by Rallock View Post
Uh... so everyone should be able to play this game for free?... get everything for free?...and have access to all content for free?... so, who's paying for the upkeep of the game at this point? the servers? the employees? the incentive to keep coming out with new material?

Sorry, I don't get it-
might wanna check this http://www.swtor.com/free/features

HuaRya
08.09.2012 , 08:48 AM | #1019
Why not level 49 or 45. Why let a person that doesn't pay for the game complete the story for free. That truly seems like a huge oversight on the management's part.

Why let them have a class 3 speeder? Why not limit them to class 1 or 2?

How about not letting them wear Artifact grade gear

These perceptive comments came from:

1. A person who bought the game new
2. Renewed their subscription around level 40 for first character
3. One who currently is finding 'Very Heavy' PVE servers to not be as fun as when they were 'Light' to 'Heavy'

Thank you

Lunablade
08.09.2012 , 09:31 AM | #1020
Main reason why I dont think that F2P model is better than P2P is :

With enough subs, a P2P structure is a more stable and consistent way of getting revenue. How much money you can make with F2P varies wildly. F2P games probably don't plan too far down the line since they never know when their money will bottom-out and the company goes under.
Devs of P2P games can plan for patches and content far in advance since even if subs drop, they won't drop at such a pace that they wouldn't have at least a few quarters to fix whatever is wrong.