Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forum Policy Update

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AllisonBerryman
08.08.2012 , 12:32 PM | #21 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
When players encounter a bug or a source of frustration, not all of them are as keen to the forums as you may think, and will often post in frustration and anger. I think your new policy insisting players be "specific, provide details, and be constructive...or face bans" comes off as quite threatening.

Threatening to ban an already upset customer just seems entirely counter productive to me.
To be fair, many of those reasons in my post are under the qualifier "may be removed or closed without warning," and I don't want to give anyone the impression "we are going to ban you if you look at us funny." Our current system is a points-based system - it takes more than one offense (excepting in very extreme cases) to have your posting privileges permanently removed.

One of our goals is to help educate people about the rules, so in the vast, vast majority of cases, we don't jump straight to permanent bans. Some people just don't know the rules, and everyone has a bad day once in a while - we understand that. However, if we have to give you infractions for the same reason multiple times, it starts becoming clear that you're not going to follow the rules.

We're not out to ban anyone who has encountered something that frustrated them, but posts made out of frustration can tend to generate flames and other unconstructive posts, so we may need to close or remove those threads. You're right - banning people who are simply frustrated would be bad, and that's not what we're going to do.

I think my original post may be clearer when expressed as two distinct ideas:

- We want to encourage constructive feedback and may need to close or remove feedback that isn't constructive or incites flame wars or other disruptions.

- We want to remove people from the community who are just here to bash the game, insult others, and break the rules.

Aliman
08.08.2012 , 12:33 PM | #22
Hello there,

well since you are feeling so chatty today, I thought i will give it a shot and try to ask you to change 1 of your forum rules.

What I wanted see change is long threads that are 50+ pages... I understand that it may be easier for you to just follow one thread instead of 10 different threads but sometimes I'm interested in reading feedback on just that one guys opinion not reading 100's of different posts that are swinging from right to left before getting back on track what I was trying to read upon.

So please is it possible to let people create their own threads instead of merging all posts into 1 big thread...
<Dark Brotherhood>
One of the Best Imperial Guilds out there, friendly and active.

Twickers
08.08.2012 , 12:35 PM | #23
For anyone who's afraid of BW just swinging the ban hammer around willy nilly, I don't think they're just going to be banning people who are just upset, it's really pretty obvious when you get a troll posting just to troll and a legitimate complaint, if it means that people will actually have to spend more than two minutes writing out a complaint that's actually legible (IE not full on AOL chat speak and use of paragraphs) then they'll have to spend more than two minutes writing a legitimate complaint.

I really wouldn't be worrying about it.

EDIT: Heh looks like Allison came out and said pretty much what I was thinking about how they would handle it

AllisonBerryman
08.08.2012 , 12:36 PM | #24 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Aliman View Post
So please is it possible to let people create their own threads instead of merging all posts into 1 big thread...
We have definitely been doing less of this recently, and won't be doing it as much going forward. In some cases, if a thread really is exactly the same as another thread and isn't discussing a different aspect or adding something unique, we may redirect it, but you can expect to see less closures for the reason that a similar discussion is already going on.

Elboc
08.08.2012 , 01:06 PM | #25
I for one and glad to hear of this change and hope the Bioware community team sticks with this strategy. It would be nice if these boards were a place to post suggested changes and fixes and also strategy among people who enjoy the game. As it is today I try and avoid everything but the Dev Tracker entirely.
Jt - Level 55 Mercenary - Rank 75 Valor
"Agent" Smth - Level 50 Sniper - Valor Rank 97
***The Untold Legacy*** The Bastion Server -"Founder"

recsa
08.08.2012 , 01:35 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
As a result of the recent changes (discussed in Joveths note), well be enforcing our forum guidelines and Rules of Conduct more strictly than before. If you are being rude, disrespectful, and insulting towards others and are not civil and constructive in your posts, you will find your posting privileges removed more quickly than in the past.
You really think this is the way to go??? you really think swinging the ban hammer and ninja closing threads when community is more worried than ever (and we have a reason for it) is the way to make us feel that our community team is involved?

I dont think so, imho you decided to make this in the worst time in the worst way.

Did i elaborate enough my reply or will my post be deleted?
A long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away, fanbois will realize they hurt games they love in a way no troll could ever dream of.

ChazDoit
08.08.2012 , 01:36 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post

You may find that threads that are not constructive are removed or closed without warning. Here are some things we consider unconstructive:
  • Long lists of gripes with few specific details and little useful feedback
  • Threads that bash the game or BioWare
  • Threads about quitting the game
  • Callouts towards specific developers
  • "Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary
Great News, this was long overdue!

Ansalem
08.08.2012 , 01:37 PM | #28
I'm not sure if I like this change or not. I mean it will be great to get rid of trolls, but there are a lot of frustrated players who vary in age and education levels. Some people aren't very good at expressing themselves or their frustrations into constructive criticism. I'm more worried that someone will misinterpret a post or thread, take it personally, and dish out punishments to players who really don't deserve it and who have stuck with this game through all the hard times. I mean honestly forums and blogs are where your fans and players come to chat about the game and vent frustrations at things that need to be fixed. These dev posts and rule listings are turning me off to using the forums much. Am I the only one that feels this way? It just seems counterproductive to be using threats like this against the remaining players who are still giving suggestions or input even if they are doing it while venting frustrations.

Darka
08.08.2012 , 01:39 PM | #29
Hasnt it always been like that?
I always thought constructive posts were always preferred over " lol i dun liek teh game" style ones which always got closed anyways.
THE DEFENDER PROGRAM - Gaming Community Est 2006
Information
Owner of the Hat'o'Awesome

alifaraaz
08.08.2012 , 01:44 PM | #30
Well you guys used to be on fire with closing unnecessary threads a few weeks back, near transfer time etc. And then it got quiet and the boards got messy :P Nice to see things will be normal again, sifting throuhg 5 threads saying the same thing was not fun ^^
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]