Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forum Policy Update

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AllisonBerryman
08.08.2012 , 10:15 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
As a result of the recent changes (discussed in Joveth’s note), we’ll be enforcing our forum guidelines and Rules of Conduct more strictly than before. If you are being rude, disrespectful, and insulting towards others and are not civil and constructive in your posts, you will find your posting privileges removed more quickly than in the past.

Note that this doesn’t mean we’re going to shut down legitimate criticisms and feedback, but it does mean we will be making an effort to remove members of the community who prove that they do not want to contribute in a constructive way. We encourage you to provide feedback regarding the game (even about things you don’t like!), but we ask that it is detailed, specific, and constructive. Also, while disagreements are fine, insults and rude posts will not be tolerated. We expect community members to respect each other and differing viewpoints.

You may find that threads that are not constructive are removed or closed without warning. Here are some things we consider unconstructive:
  • Long lists of gripes with few specific details and little useful feedback
  • Threads that bash the game or BioWare
  • Threads about quitting the game
  • Callouts towards specific developers
  • "Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary

We strongly recommend brushing up on the Rules of Conduct, as violations are generally more serious now.

We do need your help, though! If you see someone you think is breaking the rules, please use the "Report Post" feature! The best advice we can give is to report and move on – responding in kind to someone who is breaking the rules only makes flame wars and other disruptive behavior go on longer. If you just can’t agree with someone and feel like they may provoke you into breaking the rules, please use your ignore list. Remember: there are people out there who just want to make you mad and get a rise out of you. Don’t give them what they want!

We appreciate your help and are looking forward to creating a friendly, welcoming community!

Yogol
08.08.2012 , 10:34 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Here are some things we consider unconstructive:
  • Long lists of gripes with few specific details and little useful feedback
Really? It's no longer allowed to post a list with things I do not like, unless someone over there judges it as ''specific enough'' or ''useful''?

That is indeed new, never seen this in any of the games I played before.

Thank you for the warning!
Yogol. Rebel without a cause. Often without a clue too.
Founder of The Fruitfly Guild, the one-day-beta-guild for one-day-beta-characters.

Lord_Karsk
08.08.2012 , 10:42 AM | #3
Think this is nice, dont have to see the same old accounts do nothing but hate and bash the game
because they enjoy hating on others. Just dont be to trigger happy with removing posts in the pvp forum
that have valid points even thou the user is raging(like most pvp players do now and then)

Kaywinnit
08.08.2012 , 10:54 AM | #4
So Joveth says the Community team will be more active with the Community... And the first taste of that interaction we get, is a "we're going to swing the banhammer faster" post?

Not really sure thats the best way to start off. Perhaps answering some questions from people about upcoming content or changes would have been a better first step?

I love you guys, and the game.. But this is really an example of "one step forward, two steps back".

Edit: posting from phone leads to bad spelling
Mal: Well look at this, appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big Damn Heroes, Sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Twickers
08.08.2012 , 10:58 AM | #5
I don't think they're doing anything wrong with closing down threads that are entirely pointless (the three million I'm quitting, game sucks, look at this new thing about how much money they're losing, and general F U Bioware and BW fanboys threads).

I honestly get sick of seeing the same damn threads always showing up that restate the same crap that's been spewed out a million times before. I will admit that it would be nice to see a few more posts about new upcoming content but I have this feeling that will be coming in a few weeks so I feel that this is a step in the right direction.

Ska-Di
08.08.2012 , 11:02 AM | #6
Finally

AllisonBerryman
08.08.2012 , 11:12 AM | #7 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Yogol View Post
Really? It's no longer allowed to post a list with things I do not like, unless someone over there judges it as ''specific enough'' or ''useful''?
The intent here is not in any way to silence complaints or criticisms, but to ask that players that have them take the time to be specific, provide details, and be constructive. It's not "long list" that's the problem, it's long lists that don't take the time to be constructive. So, in short, if you take the time to provide thoughtful feedback, you don't have anything to worry about - that's the kind of thing we value.

Quote:
So Joveth says the Community team will be more active with the Community... And the first taste of that interaction we get, is a "we're going to swing the banhammer faster" post?
One of the most common criticisms we see is that the forums are ugly and that trolling and negativity drive away players who DO want to contribute constructively. We want the forums to be a friendly place to discuss the game, and we want to protect players that want to use them that way. That doesn't mean we want to eliminate negative feedback, but we do want to cut down on the insults, hostility, and other behaviors that sometimes make the forums inhospitable. We want to encourage people to provide us with useful feedback that we can take to the developers. We also want to remove people who are just here to insult others and bash the game for entertainment.

Xiij
08.08.2012 , 11:19 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
One of the most common criticisms we see is that the forums are ugly and that trolling and negativity drive away players who DO want to contribute constructively. We want the forums to be a friendly place to discuss the game, and we want to protect players that want to use them that way. That doesn't mean we want to eliminate negative feedback, but we do want to cut down on the insults, hostility, and other behaviors that sometimes make the forums inhospitable. We want to encourage people to provide us with useful feedback that we can take to the developers. We also want to remove people who are just here to insult others and bash the game for entertainment.
Thank you. Often I won't post because most threads just become too bothersome to sort out the real posts from the trolls. Hope you guys are able to keep the forums clean.

*EDIT* My signature says it all.
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
[W]e really shouldn't feed trolls. They are like stray cats. Once you feed them once they come back. When you continue to feed them, they grow in numbers.

Tentou
08.08.2012 , 11:22 AM | #9
This is excellent. I always wondered why all those negative posts were tolerated on the forums to such extremes, they do absolutely nothing for the community or the game. As a regular forum goer, I am really looking forward to this change.
Shock - Casual

Aelrail
08.08.2012 , 11:30 AM | #10
Bravo!
The forums have become a cesspool and this change will help to weed out the trolls and make the forums a better place, right now is depressing to visit the forum and see all the baseless complaints and rants that plague the place specially the General Forum.
Bounty Hunter Rakshak - Shield Tech - 55
Sith Warrior Jorxen - Carnage - 55
Imperial SoulTakers Guild - Jedi Covenant server (US East)
CE Owner