Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NSStember
08.06.2012 , 07:48 AM | #921
Quote: Originally Posted by Cessna_X View Post
As a side note, I'm really glad CE owners are finally getting some love, however small. The CE vendor has always been a bit of a let down for me. Deluxe people seem to be getting left out in the cold though...
They announced Deluxe accounts will be getting something special too, they just haven't said what it is yet.

Oldsailor
08.06.2012 , 08:57 AM | #922
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRik View Post
this only works if all the p2p players on your server stay for Free to play and have not quit over it
True, but you have to look at the numbers. They have grouped most of us onto just 12 servers (in the US) so a whole lot of folks are going to have to quit. And let's face it, if you invested this much so far in the game, would you quit totally or go F2P (I mean it cost you nothing, and you can still pop on to see what is happening). And even if you do quit, Bioware won't drop you from the server for a while. (Otherwise folks that later decide to come back would have to switch servers, and that would be a huge headache.)

Ceejayharvey
08.06.2012 , 09:12 AM | #923
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I am not surprised by this- and not because of the whole TOR is "not doing well" idea. I've seen other games go with this hybrid model and actually not only do better financially, but be able to do more about improving the game.

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. I really don't care for the new companion as the HK's were never my favorites in KOTOR.
Hk's Meh...

I didn't start playing swtor because of the same sex relationships, but it was promised so it should be in before the F2P and the uber new companion. I doubt this will ever happen now as F2P opens the doors to kids who wouldn't have bothered on a subscription plan

Sad to say, but until what was promised gets pushed under the carpet because of narrow minded conservatives, in prefrence for F2P means I cancel my subscription, its gets added with the EQ2 sub that was cancelled, for pretty much the same thing..lieing to its player base and treating us a comoditiy

Darknessinme
08.06.2012 , 09:23 AM | #924
Will Subscription players and Free-to-Play members be playing together on the same servers?

Yes, both subscription and Free-to-Play members will play together on the same servers.

Interesting!!

jeardawg
08.06.2012 , 09:41 AM | #925
The idea of this game going free to play does not really concern me as much as what is says about the future of the game. Free to play has generally become the bastion of games that are not longer relevant. Games that are too far in debt to just scrap, so they hang a price tag on everything and anything cool and then milk it for every penny they can while really offering nothing to the players that is truly innovative from that point on.

What I really want to know is:
1. Will you support this game after f2p, really support, new content, new features, new planets, new voice-overs, the (really exciting) space feature we have heard about or just more of the lame rail shooter battles?

2. Is this true F2P or is it B2P (buy to play) like GW was? You mentioned the box price going down, which means you still intend to sell it. ( there is a distinction)

Cheers

Ceejayharvey
08.06.2012 , 09:42 AM | #926
Quote: Originally Posted by OsunTris View Post
Bioware you are new in the MMO business. But let me tell you a few things.

Announcing a FP2 option will be a bullet in your head. First of all EA was not a good choice as a publisher.
You have announced an unfinished game on Christmas, but okay I thought you fixed it after lunch. This never happens. Have enough of this. Yeah i canceled my account 2 months ago.
The game was "unfinished" it has a lack of pvp and balance, and the "legacy" system is waste of resources. Story is cool but sorry how much I can see story when the game has lack of other things.
The game was unfinished you should working on it 6 more months and not just release an unfinshed game. A writer does not publish an unfinished book to say it clearly.

Moreover one of your biggest mistakes was to think that everything is working fine when you have 2 Mio. subscribers. Sorry to say that but thats fanatic to think thats enough. You have to work hard every day for it. Every day to finish the game that is unfinished in my perspective and add things that are missing. Support is one of the things that are missing too, I mean get to work and not sit down and think money will work for you. Where are the addons, where are the own interface (not your interface, just my). I don't like your interface, I like to change it myself with addons.
Sometimes I thing when you annouced the cool Interface with 1.2 is that your code is so bad, that you aware of showing it to the software community to made it working.
Not including addons is one of the biggest mistakes. See blizzard they are improving the game every day and working hard for it, and what they get? The biggest community. No I am not playing WoW and will never play again, it is just an example. Yeah I compare, why I do it, because everyone do it.
When you release an MMO you have to get everything that the others have (especially WoW), so the game has to have everything that WoW has at the beginning, when you lunch the game, but it hasn't.
Second you lack of information and ignorance to the community is one of the mistakes you have done in the past.
I think you searching for an financial model to keep the game and not for ideas to fix it, thats why you fail, because you ignore the community. Playing on the Mac and waiting still waiting for a native client, but I know this will never happen. Just playing on bootcamp and everything is fine, but will be nicer to get a native client.
So when playing on my PC the game crashes as well, with the newest hardware. I mean what the **** yeah you point it out.

One thing to say at last, they are fail decisions that have been made. And someone is responsible for that, when I would be a senior manager I would fire that person, because the fail decisions made the things complicated to now.
I would fire that person long time ago, because they are lack of information from the beginning and the management decisions that are made are terrible.
EA as a publisher have some knowledge of putting a MMO on the market, see WAR and a few other. I really thought that EA have learned to mange this, but when I see now what happened with SWTOR I can say "nope" they haven't learned. The person that is responsible for that at EA should be fired, but this not happen. The person will keep doing until he or she will be replaced by someone competent, that have his or her eyes open wide.
Thats what you need in that business today.

Just2cents.
Look at the mess EA made of Warhammer. how quick did that go F2P

DarthRik
08.06.2012 , 10:00 AM | #927
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceejayharvey View Post
Look at the mess EA made of Warhammer. how quick did that go F2P
its not free to play its only free unlimited for T1 RVR, its still a pay to play model

Quote:
What are the restrictions on the Free Trial?

Free Trial accounts are restricted to Tier 1 of the Empire versus Chaos pairing. This includes Tier 1 scenarios but does not include access to the Capital Cities or the other racial pairings within the game.
Free Trial users are unable to send mail to other players, use the Auction House and Bank, or trade face-to-face with any player; however, they can receive mail.
Free Trial accounts are limited to designated servers. If you'd like to play with friends on other servers, you will need to purchase a retail copy of the game and transfer your character to their server (or create a new character on their server). All characters Rank 11 and under on purchased accounts have access to unlimited transfers, with a max of one transfer per day. Please note that you can only transfer characters to the same server type as the server you created your characters on (Core, Open RvR, and Roleplay). Please see the full server list here for details about each server, including server type. Alternatively, if you have a friend who is currently playing WAR, you can ask them for a Recruit-a-Friend code that will allow you to create a Recruit-a-Friend trial account which has access to all servers. Please see the Recruit-a-Friend section for more information.
We need RVR in this game, lets make world burn with pvp

CE

Malsmeth
08.06.2012 , 10:47 AM | #928
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
I hope you go bankrupt. I will not buy another Bioware product voluntarily again.
I think the F2P will be good for people who play SWTOR. For example if you are already subscribing to WOW or another MMO it will be a lot cheaper to have F2P then paying for both of them.
"Don't get on my bad side. You'll find yourself dead on the streets of Hutta, with a bullet in your skull.

Bobbyieboy
08.06.2012 , 11:19 AM | #929
This is a bad idea. Bioware do yourself a favor. Buy out EA and run this your way.
CE

SidneyFault
08.06.2012 , 11:48 AM | #930
Lets see what happens when this hits the 100 page max in the thread. I think all your going to see is a new thread start with absolutely no comment from our devs that are doing such a wonderful job of keeping this game alive... of course you know that is nothing but sarcastic. This game is complete salvageable but only if this free to play option is taken off the board and they stop these force server mergers.

I would place a bet here in Vegas that we don't see any kind of comment from our so called dev team this week. This is a bet I would be happy to loose.. but the odds are in my favor. I doubt this game will live to see the end of the year at this rate.
May the 4th be with you!!!!!