Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What did I do wrong?

King_Louis_II
08.02.2012 , 09:55 PM | #1
Ok, admittedly I am new to this MMO thing. SWTOR is my first and I decided I wanted to be useful, so I went Scoundrel. I like to PVP, but don't do FPs very much (long Story about my first day playing and douchebags).

Anyway, I've been lvl50 Scoundrel for a couple weeks, started Directive 7 with a rl friend, one of his friends, and a random DPS. I was the lone healer and everything was going great until the last Boss. Nobody was even close to dying. Then that F-ing super computer. It seemed like everyone was taking massive damage far faster than I could keep up. The DPSs seemed to be pulling way too much aggro and were on deaths door more than once.

I was keeping it in line though, I thought. I found a place where the crane thing didn't target and was keeping everyone alive. Then that freaking green laser kept targeting me. I threw up my defensive shield, surrender, then dodge, while trying to find cover (it can shoot through walls, btw). No matter where I ran, I was boned. Meanwhile, a DPS died (he'd been pulling a lot of aggro and was the first to go every time) and the tank took massive damage. I was also nearly dead before trying to heal myself and the tank.
See where this is going? W-I-P-E (This happened 3 times) My group was no help (friend included) about telling me what I did wrong, but they blamed me of course. "I don't know what to tell you" is all I got from them.

So, based on this, I ask you smart people. I want to do more group stuff, and I find healing a lot of fun.

jrmhpeters
08.02.2012 , 11:58 PM | #2
I havn't healed D7 in a long time... 6 or 7 months ago i think. I remember it being a pretty tough fight to heal through with mostly melee dps. The laser always targets the healer i thought... If i recall correctly, final phase is a DPS race and not really on you.

Imma have to run it again now that i have all the quality of life changes for the healing tree. Will see how it goes.

Pandemoniac
08.03.2012 , 10:19 AM | #3
This problem probably comes down to either your gear being bad or the gear of the people you are with being bad. I healed D7 and was able to get through first try with my group. We had a DPS that wasn't so great too, and I just let him die frankly. The tank and I finished the boss ourselves (story mode) and sometimes that's just what you have to do. Some of these bosses are too much to keep the whole group healed but you can focus on just keeping the tank and yourself alive and get through... it may just take longer. Use heals that will build over time, like Emergency Medpac. If you have the Sawbones tree filled out the packs will also give you lots of "Upper Hand" hits that will allow you to heal for w/o using energy. Use the EMs, keep kolto cloud up, find ways to stack heals on people and you should be fine... unless its a gear problem. Post some info about your gear and I might be able to advise better.

Bartes
08.03.2012 , 11:45 AM | #4
or maybe the boss just got enraged?
Aes Sidhe

Bartas - lvl 50/70+ Gunslinger - Sharpshooter specced and lovin it!

DSafana
08.03.2012 , 12:28 PM | #5
If the boss didn't enrage, you should be able to heal thru the laser thingie attacking you. At that stage everyone else should be taking little to no damage. Just stand next to them with yourself targetted and heal yourself , and everytime aoe heal is up use it to top off the rest of the group. If there was more damage then that going on, then somebody in the group forgot to kill the turrets at the core locations. All turrets should be dead before they attack the computer.

TheronFett
08.03.2012 , 12:31 PM | #6
Can't really comment on this from a healer's perspective (the one spec I refuse to play). I've only ever run D7 a couple times, and even with a geared/experienced group, it's pretty rough. D7 is a bit long and overtweaked in my opinion. They need to dial it back a little bit.

Tatile
08.03.2012 , 12:59 PM | #7
I'm an Operative healer, but the principles are very much the same.

You used your defensive cooldowns at the right time, but also you also needed to heal yourself. Stick the HoT on, use your Kolto Infusion equivalent then go after that damn stupid DPS that's dying. You should also have the equivalent of Surgical Probe - it's an instant heal that works off of a stacking proc skill - drop that on yourself or the DPS, whichever is lower.

You should be dodging out of Line of Sight (LoS) of the turrets (the big ones) if they have you targeted. This is pretty simple, your DPS and tank should be doing that anyway. If you've got a melee DPS, I'd say stick with the tank and DPS, dropping the AoE heal when it's needed.

Mentor is very much a balancing act. On a lot of fights in this game it's not so much about keeping people at full as much as making sure they're not dead. If that means having the DPS at 50%, so be it. They might not thank you later, but sod them. Dead DPS do no DPS.

Anyone targeted by the giant death laser will need a lot of healing (it's a death laser after all). If the tank and/or DPS are getting themselves killed via anything but the giant death laser, you will have a problem. Mentor's fight takes place in a big room, so it's easy to lose range on people.

I've always maintained that, as a healer, I'm only as good as my group. If I get a bunch of Derpy Hooves people who try to halp, then there's going to be some death. If I get DPS who know what they're doing, how to use defensive cooldowns, stuns and interrupts, then life's great. Hell, you could survive a bad tank if you've got good DPS (and I don't mean big numbers = good).

Xiij
08.03.2012 , 01:13 PM | #8
It's been a while since I've done D7, but best I recall, everything on the last boss is taunt-able (laser, claw, etc.). So if that stuff was attacking you, maybe you should pass that bit of info to the tank. As far as a dps dying while you were healing yourself? That's fine, if you heal the dps and end up dying it's definitely a wipe, where as the other way around you could try and battle res him or you might be able to finish the boss without him or you might wipe. A few more options when you don't die.

D7 is definitely a ****storm, as far as number of mechanics going on simultaneously and what not. Sounds like you may want to start with something a bit easier as far as mechanics go just to get you "in the pve mood." Other than that the only thing I can suggest is play with a tank that knows what they're doing as well as dps that knows how to use their aggro drops.

From what you described I don't think you did anything wrong. As mentioned in a couple of the other posts, you may have hit the enrage timer (I assume you know already but just in case: the enrage timer starts when the boss fight is started and once a predetermined time is reached the boss's damage is buffed to signal you have taken too long).
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
[W]e really shouldn't feed trolls. They are like stray cats. Once you feed them once they come back. When you continue to feed them, they grow in numbers.

Pandemoniac
08.05.2012 , 05:44 PM | #9
I still think you should check the gear. D7 is a later FP and too many people try to come into it with green or blue gear. Maybe that's just my bad luck, but it drives me crazy.

Brool
08.06.2012 , 09:27 AM | #10
All the FP's well HM versions are pretty watered down since the last update. However, while d7 is still on of the easier ones, there is a lot of stuff flying around for a healer to pay attention to. As you get more familiar with the final fight, I think you will find it much much easier.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.