Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is PVP really that bad?


Missandei's Avatar


Missandei
08.04.2012 , 12:48 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by kjkdollarbanny View Post
only 4 warzones.
i played like 1500 wzs from release. so its boring.
balance is ok.
Lol.. The football (or how some infidels call it - «soccer»), have only one field.. But somehow it is still the most popular sport game in the world.. strange, isnt it?
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

HaLeX's Avatar


HaLeX
08.04.2012 , 12:54 AM | #42
The pvp is not that bad it is very fun but... It doesnt take long to come to the realization that you need BM augmented at a min to compete. Also if you want to win every game we all know the formula. Get 8 ppl who have a great deal of hours invested in pvp, set them up in vent, and give them FOTM classes, and they will win every game until another similar team comes along in which case it will be a tossup. They can fix that problem by limiting burst on 2 classes, but for some reason they just don't see what the players are seeing. For the experienced pvper who is putting up great numbers and getting consistent mvp votes whats next? There is nothing, you just keep going. There needs to be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

kweassa's Avatar


kweassa
08.04.2012 , 01:25 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by HaLeX View Post
It doesnt take long to come to the realization that you need BM augmented at a min to compete.
1. Most every MMOG out there requires spec/stat investment to be comeptitive. If you think SWTOR's bad, you should see the difference between a fresh lv85 and a fully farmed lv85 in WoW. Compared to the gruelling process of farming all the PvE gear, and then farming for PvP gear, and then participating in raids for weeks to get a specific high-end PvE piece you want, and then taking part in Gladitorial arenas to get the specific high-end PvP piece.... SWTOR gear farming is relatively pleasant, straightforward, and short.

Quote:
Also if you want to win every game we all know the formula. Get 8 ppl who have a great deal of hours invested in pvp, set them up in vent, and give them FOTM classes, and they will win every game until another similar team comes along in which case it will be a tossup.
2. You make it sound as if there's something wrong.

Are you saying that:

(1) A PuG full of Inexperienced and unlearned newbies should be able to defeat people with superior experience?
(2) People who didn't work as hard or long enough, should be able to defeat people who took all the time and effort to customize their gear to optimum performance?

(1) is L2P, (2) is prior investment. People who learned to play better, and invested their time and effort to prepare themselves for combat, should be easily defeating those who cannot play as well, nor have as adequate preparations, and rightfully so.


Quote:
They can fix that problem by limiting burst on 2 classes, but for some reason they just don't see what the players are seeing.
The reason's simple. Performance difference from team composition is something that should be fixed/overcome through the efforts of the players, and not something the developers should intervene with.


Quote:
For the experienced pvper who is putting up great numbers and getting consistent mvp votes whats next? There is nothing, you just keep going. There needs to be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
For any real, experienced PvPer, the fight itself is the pot of gold.
They live in Valahalla. Those who ask for rewards everytime, do not.
"90% of PvP complaints come from people that are thoroughly unqualified to comment about anything in the first place. Stop assuming that you are a good player, then an answer will come; why you die so often, why you are CCd so often, and why you complain about healers so often - You're simply a bad player. Harsh truth."

Carnaje's Avatar


Carnaje
08.04.2012 , 01:45 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by kweassa View Post
The reason's simple. Performance difference from team composition is something that should be fixed/overcome through the efforts of the players, and not something the developers should intervene with.
I do not understand this point. So you should learn to fix/overcome how to defeat a team of PT and Marauders when your team has OP and Merc dps? Thats just dumb and the whole point of FOTM. The fix is to get those people to roll a healer or not bring them with. Yes, this is something the devs should fix and not the players.

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
08.04.2012 , 01:53 AM | #45
The proof that PvP is really that bad is in the firing of the devs, the quick merging of servers and free to play in less than a year.

If PvP were good (not even great) it would have sustained this game a little bit. Other games lean on PvP and are very successful.

So Yes there is a problem with PvP obviously. People would (and have) flocked to MMOs that offer great PvP experiences....this game went from the biggest launch in MMO history to the fastest decline in MMO history.

kweassa's Avatar


kweassa
08.04.2012 , 01:55 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Carnaje View Post
I do not understand this point. So you should learn to fix/overcome how to defeat a team of PT and Marauders when your team has OP and Merc dps? Thats just dumb and the whole point of FOTM. The fix is to get those people to roll a healer or not bring them with. Yes, this is something the devs should fix and not the players.
The fix can be done to individual classes to tone down the amount of people selecting it. However limiting team entries??

That is simply a bullcrap of a solution.

Who are you to be the one to determine what the ratio of each classes should be in the game? Some kind of class number Nazi or something? I want to be with my friends with my choice of class... or maybe I want to make unique team compositions just for shi*s and giggles. That's entirely our choice as a paying customer, and you think that should be stopped because your bright idea on fixing balance problems is to limit number of certain classes?

What if I say I frickin hate whatever class you play, so your class should simply be abolished from the game? I'd love to see you agree to that. If you want things to be decided arbitrarily upon your own whim, no reason I should not be able to get the same.
"90% of PvP complaints come from people that are thoroughly unqualified to comment about anything in the first place. Stop assuming that you are a good player, then an answer will come; why you die so often, why you are CCd so often, and why you complain about healers so often - You're simply a bad player. Harsh truth."

Carnaje's Avatar


Carnaje
08.04.2012 , 01:58 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by kweassa View Post
The fix can be done to individual classes to tone down the amount of people selecting it. However limiting team entries??

That is simply a bullcrap of a solution.

Who are you to be the one to determine what the ratio of each classes should be in the game? Some kind of class number Nazi or something? I want to be with my friends with my choice of class... or maybe I want to make unique team compositions just for shi*s and giggles. That's entirely our choice as a paying customer, and you think that should be stopped because your bright idea on fixing balance problems is to limit number of certain classes?

What if I say I frickin hate whatever class you play, so your class should simply be abolished from the game? I'd love to see you agree to that. If you want things to be decided arbitrarily upon your own whim, no reason I should not be able to get the same.
I am not, the players are. When is the last time you saw a dps op or merc? Like 1 in 100 or more. Then were they geared and have a lot of experience.

Like i said i do not understand your point. To me you dont even understand what FOTM means.

Vaipyr's Avatar


Vaipyr
08.04.2012 , 02:25 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by kweassa View Post
Some kind of class number Nazi or something?
Rule 4

It is inevitable.

Oh, and @OP:
It's not that bad that it couldn't be saved, but at this point (F2P, rampant sub losses, etc) it's pretty far gone. The terrible FOTM imbalances are pretty insane atm, ranked has all but died off (predictably) and the engine can't handle any kind of "war" between the factions (world pvp). That and there's greener pastures ahead where there is no grind, grind is terrible for pvp, and balance is far far better along with the capability for actual world wars (with better balance having 3 teams instead of 2 where one-sided population imbalances throw it all out of whack). Not to mention the higher skill-cap involved with active blocking, active dodging, no auto-aim-auto-turning bs, etc.

Toetar's Avatar


Toetar
08.04.2012 , 03:07 AM | #49
I am a Rep sawbones I just hit 50 I have the blue pvp set and 3 pcs of bm gear. I have played about 30 games today and won 3. This is not fun. People hit me for 4-5k and my heals are almost worthless. I am lucky to hit a 2.5k heal. my hots don't do much either. Everybody seems to have some sort of stun, interrupt, or knockback. Some even seem to have a bunch of them. There does not seem to be any kind of dim returns. I don't get why we lose just about every single time. I'm talking about big losses. They quickly win. I have seen many times where 6 of us have been killed and are waiting behind the door to get back in game. I have seen 4 ppl try to kill one person and they not die. I have seen one person beat two. Things are not right. It does not seem very fare or fun. I keep playing in hopes that someday I will have enough gear to win a few.

vsalcedo's Avatar


vsalcedo
08.04.2012 , 03:24 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
The proof that PvP is really that bad is in the firing of the devs, the quick merging of servers and free to play in less than a year.

If PvP were good (not even great) it would have sustained this game a little bit. Other games lean on PvP and are very successful.

So Yes there is a problem with PvP obviously. People would (and have) flocked to MMOs that offer great PvP experiences....this game went from the biggest launch in MMO history to the fastest decline in MMO history.
People always flock to new mmos *** are you spouting about. Decline has to do with a new generation of players who want everything at a fast pace and not hard to obtain. Or wait people who are just tired of mmos period and don't do research about the new products. You ether hate SWTOR or you love it same as WoW. I happen to play both and pay for both.