Terror From Beyond Speculation

I would like a puzzle where there is a sword in a box, and when you hit the box with your saber......just kidding.

An encounter where teams of stunlocking Operatives would spawn from stealth and kill all the healer classes. Then the boss would laugh and then call in a healer to heal himself while the raid attempts to kill him without healers. If someone ninja rezzes a healer, the stunlocking operatives would reappear and kill the healer and whoever rezzed them.

Basically a winless fight so everyone would stop complaining that "They already did the content and they are bored"

Unfortunately I think you are right, no matter how creative or challenging the content is, everyone will complain about how "easy" and "over done" the content is. At the same time if you make it impossible (literally, like you suggested) then people would complain that the content is too hard and they are just coming up with stupid content to waste our time.

On a more positive note, a dynamic boss would be fun. I don't really know exactly how you would do this, but have the fight be different every time you fight the boss... Maybe have the RNG pick a few stats within a range (HP, damage, armor, etc.) as well as pick a few mechanics at random.

There is a lot of room between "current hard mode EC" and "completely impossible" for the developers to create a meaningful challenge for motivated guilds in Nightmare modes.

Agreed. If it sounded like I meant otherwise then it was unintended. Another question that comes to mind after your statement is, "Would it be acceptable to add another tier 2 operation?". Some people are just looking for a new challenge, it might work out well to have a second tier 2 op for those people. Some people are looking for something more challenging than HM EC, they might be expecting a "tier 3" op at that point, which would reward them with gear better than CP gear. That being said, where does TFB fit? Will it be like KP is to EV, for EC? Or will it be like EC is to EV, for EC?

Unfortunately I think you are right, no matter how creative or challenging the content is, everyone will complain about how "easy" and "over done" the content is. At the same time if you make it impossible (literally, like you suggested) then people would complain that the content is too hard and they are just coming up with stupid content to waste our time.

On a more positive note, a dynamic boss would be fun. I don't really know exactly how you would do this, but have the fight be different every time you fight the boss... Maybe have the RNG pick a few stats within a range (HP, damage, armor, etc.) as well as pick a few mechanics at random.

This is demonstrably nonsense, because there have been a wealth of encounters which have been successful and widely loved for their ingenuity and tuning. To say that anyone who criticizes the tuning and mechanics of existing encounters is impossible to please is just not helpful.

If you're happy with the standard and quantity of available content, good for you; there are plenty of us who see value in speculating about future improvements, and how best they might be achieved.

Edited by Shahryar_

How about: A sith that can force choke 8 people at once, who constantly summons adds with those channeled laser attacks and aoe knockdowns?

Or, a group boss that varies based on the composition of your group? say, a jedi consular for every sith inquisitor in your group, and so on with the rest of the classes?

Agreed, you should NOT be able to just sit there and do the same fight for an hour while you have a tank and a healer left...

EDIT: forgot the not in shouldn't

There's plenty wrong with HARD enrage timers. It's ok every now and then, but to constantly use it means, sometimes, there's no room for error. You lose one dps or you're not pulling enough by a certain point and it's "Just wipe it". Instead, how about some soft enrage mechanics? How about an enrage mechanic similar to Professor Putricide or Lady Vashj? Why does every boss have to have a hard enrage timer? It's just another way in which Operation boss mechanics are lacking.

Or, a group boss that varies based on the composition of your group? say, a jedi consular for every sith inquisitor in your group, and so on with the rest of the classes?

a mirror match like that would be pretty awesome. drop that in the suggestion box :D

There's plenty wrong with HARD enrage timers. It's ok every now and then, but to constantly use it means, sometimes, there's no room for error. You lose one dps or you're not pulling enough by a certain point and it's "Just wipe it". Instead, how about some soft enrage mechanics? How about an enrage mechanic similar to Professor Putricide or Lady Vashj? Why does every boss have to have a hard enrage timer? It's just another way in which Operation boss mechanics are lacking.

I didnt raid much in wow so i am unsure of the fights you have listed, but i do agree hard enrages are sorta boring, and that i would rather see extra mechanics to take place or see the raid be overwhelmed by a mechanic cause the boss wasnt burn fast enough.

In EQ2, most of the bosses would eventually kill people cause the mechanics would over whelm people if the bosses didnt die quick enough... for example there was a fight where one of the adds would teleport people to a jail that they had to escape from (took about 20 to 45 seconds to get out), basically if we had more then 4 people teleported we would die, since there were 3 other adds with their own mechanics, besides the big mean boss with 20 different mechanics of it own.

The big problem of that fight though was it was dependent on RNG... if you had certain key people teleported, you might as well wiped the raid. The majority of the time from my experience when you start getting creative with mechanics and soft enrages you start to make some of the fights to heavy RNG... nothing worst then having something on farm and wiping to it for a couple of hours cause of bad luck.

With regard to Terror, my primary hope is for a longer form raid. I'd like to see an at least 8, but ideally 12, boss format. This is preferable in so many ways - perhaps the main one being the sheer epic feel of longer raids - 4 boss raids feel much more like flashpoints.

A huge +1 here. Ulduar, BT, ICC in WoW were all my favs because of their sheer size. Small amount of bosses and small amount of trash is not very exciting to do every week. I reckon if they made trash a lot easier to kill but increased the amount it would be more fun moving through to the next boss. If they had 8+ bosses in a new op it would be better for people that raid 3 nights a week (clearing EC HM in 1 night leaves us nothing to do on the other nights)

Edited by Chaori

i want to fight a Krayt dragon.

This, never really understood why they would make the worldboss on tat a stupid frog looking thingy.

But hey maybe they will make a new tattoine world boss = Krayt dragon would be awesome.

10-12 bosses in a raid would be amazing. That one raid alone would take undergeared/underskilled guilds weeks to clear! Most def bringing the fun challenge aspect back into the game. The best feeling is to try and really struggle and fun new hard content and then after doing your homework downing it and feeling good about it. I want something to truly push people..

Bring on the new ops!

Theres gonna be one more Op with the dread masters after Terror. You can tell by the inaccessible room in the ziost shadow imperial fleet. It had 2 path ways that look like they lead to instance entrances. So we h e 5 operations all doing with the dread masters, each more then the last. Recap!:

Eternity vault- the dread masters prison break from belsavis causes such force to awaken Soa. Mentio of dream masters: none.

Karagga's palace: The dread masters were taking hutt space, and the hutt cartel retaliated by taking more space for them. Mention of dread masters: Vert little, only the name used.

Explosive conflict: the dread masters gave kephess extreme power and corrupted the imperial force on Denova, creating a deadly army. Mention of dread masters: High, but avoided their name.

Terror from beyond: The dread masters are using ancient rakatan portals to summon once locked-away terrible beasts from beyond. Mention of dread masters: Very high.

These guys are the new emperor Malgus! I wonder what titles we will get from NiM Explosive conflict and NiM terror from beyond...

Going back to the ideas of new boss mechanics -

When lotro first came out, the main endgame raid (designed for 24 iirc) had a beast of a last boss. Instant kills if you missed mechanics, the group having to split into 2 groups to run to other rooms while the tank and heals stayed on the boss, a friendly NPC intricately involved, and overall a lot of fun with cool rewards (just fighting a balrog was fun even though he was really overweight :) ). Of course this died down to being 3 manned or even soloed with the level cap up 25 levels, but it was a challenge while it was the top.

Something similar would be great. The instance (the rift, check in out on youtube) also had a LOT of bosses, each with mechanics almost as hard as the final boss, and each boss having to be killed in an order to make sure you could kill the next. Some sort of tangible link between bosses makes it more interesting, this could also use a RNG to decide which bosses would apply which buffs to others when dead to add some spice