Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Erudain
08.02.2012 , 01:09 PM | #751
Off topic question....anyone is playing Blade and Soul? How is it?
NC soft game, launched last month in Korea, next month in China/Japan...expected Q1/Q2 NA/EU release.

renettakay
08.02.2012 , 01:09 PM | #752
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

Read More
if you guys would take this new technology and reinvent Starwars Galaxies when it was originally released before you tried to make it like wow you would have the ultimate mmo. That game was the best and you had to earn your jedi it was not given to you . Just my opinion !

PlayLoud
08.02.2012 , 01:13 PM | #753
Quote: Originally Posted by wtrent View Post
Never played EQ can't comment.
You would be amazed. WoW looks a lot like EverQuest. It was not original. I'm not saying SWTOR is totally original, but the VO'd story-driven leveling system sets it further apart from WoW, than WoW was to EQ.

15 ppl on fleet on a good day.
Ouch!

The legacy perks allow you to level faster. Don't deny this - it will be P2W.
I just don't think leveling faster is P2W. Maxing out your character will be done in Operations. An XP boost won't help you there. It will just help you get to 50 faster.

$15 a month isn't free. 1 WZ added and a loss of world pvp. Plus some random FPs. I'd say we broke even
I just meant that there has been no cost above the sub.
Embedded.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | Mobo: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB | SSD: Crucial M4 256GB
Video: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Antec P182 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 | OS: Win 7 64 | Monitor: Dell G2410 1080p

wtrent
08.02.2012 , 01:23 PM | #754
Quote: Originally Posted by PlayLoud View Post
Embedded.
The legacy perks allow you to level faster. Don't deny this - it will be P2W.
I just don't think leveling faster is P2W. Maxing out your character will be done in Operations. An XP boost won't help you there. It will just help you get to 50 faster.

Sorry I meant the legacy perks already allow you to level faster. That is not F2P. I meant buffs or gear normally bought with only ranked WZ credits now available for sale or other random buffs they could offer.

mitchellson
08.02.2012 , 01:24 PM | #755
Free players get free to level 50, but what nobody seems to remember is that bioware announced a level cap increase aswell.
derp

Postalz
08.02.2012 , 01:35 PM | #756
F2P is a GREAT thing and should have been there with launch. All new mmos will be f2p in the future releases. What needs to happen is f2p first followed by a mini xpac that adds

-Arenas
-Level Cap raised
-World PvP hotspots.
- Fleet 2.0 An area on the fleet that allows dueling and is only accessible to xpac players.

This game is great and I love that BW listens to the community. Amazing gameplay and PvP, but most people just don't want to pay for two subs. I truly believe that bw did a great job making this game and the drop off in sub numbers has everything to do with WoW players would rather play WoW.

Anakis
08.02.2012 , 01:45 PM | #757
Question about Cartel Coins.

As per: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6478

150/coins per month pre-July 31
200/coins per month August 1 to f2p launch
250 coins on f2p launch day

So.... how many coins per month AFTER f2p launch day do subs get??

Have they said how much coins will cost f2p players?
--- The Harbinger ---
Esri, Vezpa, Kaycey

VigDiath
08.02.2012 , 02:04 PM | #758
I'm not surprised but I'm not happy either. Doesn't matter though because I will still pay to play.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Selenial
08.02.2012 , 02:40 PM | #759
Quote: Originally Posted by mitchellson View Post
Free players get free to level 50, but what nobody seems to remember is that bioware announced a level cap increase aswell.
Now thats a smart guy!
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away fromů save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Scoundrel
Force In Balance - The Harbinger

DrEvilToBe
08.02.2012 , 03:03 PM | #760
Quote: Originally Posted by Xsorus View Post
A. a Subscription gives you free Cartel Cash to spend on "Better" gear (aka cosmetic gear, cause that's all that will appear in this store) LOTRO does this, and it's exactly how it works.. I look at an item in the store, decide if I want it, and then spend my cash I get every money on it...

B. You'll have access to the store just like them... Like I said, you get free cash every month to spend in the store.

Now some people don't like this sort of thing, I'll use an example though..

I have a life time subscription to LOTRO that i bought long ago before it went f2p...Every month despite the fact i don't spend any money on subscription cost, I get 500 Turbine Points for free...I automatically get all new content in patches for free.....since my account is basically a subscription...But now since Turbine also releases Expansion packs in the store as well..I can spend my free cash on the expansion pack that comes out... Rohan expansion coming in September for example.. I'll get that for free just by wasting my turbine points on it.. So It just saved me an extra $40-50 dollars I would have to spend If I wanted it.
So if im a 90 days trail,how will mine free cash work?
CE VIP

"May the Emperor have mercy on your soul, for our Sith bretheren will not"