Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA's Stance On Microtransactions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA's Stance On Microtransactions

Cavell
08.01.2012 , 11:12 AM | #1
Just for folks wondering what's potentially in store for TOR's F2P model, I thought I'd offer EA CEO John Riccitiello's musings on microtransactions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

The highlight for me?

Quote:
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.
Something to think about.

DarthTHC
08.01.2012 , 11:15 AM | #2
Yep, I can see it.

You get to that final door before the last boss in the raid. Everyone clicks on the door and gets a $ over their head. The game opens up a dialog asking you for $1 to continue the raid...

Definitely possible in this game's future.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Senden
08.01.2012 , 11:17 AM | #3
I think this is some of the things people for f2p are failing to take into consideration.. this is EA doing free to play. If their original ideas don't produce the desired revenue, this game will turn into a pay to win game guaranteed.

Senden
08.01.2012 , 11:19 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Yep, I can see it.

You get to that final door before the last boss in the raid. Everyone clicks on the door and gets a $ over their head. The game opens up a dialog asking you for $1 to continue the raid...

Definitely possible in this game's future.
Worse yet EA's spin doctors will be going on about how it's a revolutionary step and that they are leading the way of the future of the f2p model.

Staavis_SC
08.01.2012 , 11:19 AM | #5
I remember all the platitudes that Cryptic Studios gave about how their Cash Store was going to be "nothing but cosmetics and fluff"...

Then, they did a test. They took one of the ultimate fan favorite ships (Excelsior) and put it into the shop. And they made it better (tactically) than the in-game Sovereign class.

People were hooked, and in-general they overlooked the P2W aspect, because they loved the Excelsior.

It went downhill from there, and when the F2P finally hit, every ship going into the store, was better than same-tier in-game ships.

The same will happen here. We'll start of with cosmetics and fluff, then they will test us, and see how we react. If the results are favorable, they will open the floodgates, and it'll be all downhill from there.
Look, we got four or five of the main characters on this ship. I think we're gonna be okay.

Lundli
08.01.2012 , 11:21 AM | #6
Thanks for my new sig..
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Saitada
08.01.2012 , 11:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Senden View Post
I think this is some of the things people for f2p are failing to take into consideration.. this is EA doing free to play. If their original ideas don't produce the desired revenue, this game will turn into a pay to win game guaranteed.
Every F2p game I have played eventually became p2w. Invariably items that were only available through either tedious grinding (if you were lucky) or through the cash shop (statistic boosting items that, unless you had.. you would always loose engagements) or pets (Think Phoenix in PWI) that gave the user an incredible advantage over non cash shop using players unless they spent hours and hours grinding coin to buy the items from players who paid for them to eventually get a Phoenix (I was the second player on my PWI server to acquire the Phoenix... it was an instant win in fights against almost anyone else in Territory wars until they became more common, there were ways to neutralize some of it's advantages but.. if you came up against a Venomancer with a Phoenix.. you could basically expect to die... quickly).

Andryah
08.01.2012 , 11:25 AM | #8
LOL.. you guys are hilarious.

There is absolutely no support for what you are saying in the context of an MMO, but I am entertained.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Drudenfusz
08.01.2012 , 11:27 AM | #9
I hope BioWare understand that this will not work with the player base of SWTOR. That going that road would only kill this game.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

DahLliA
08.01.2012 , 11:27 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundli View Post
Thanks for my new sig..
Same.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello