Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vettel's Avatar


Vettel
08.01.2012 , 06:56 AM | #461
So now i'm paying $15/mnth to help fund further development of an f2p mmo.
I don't like the idea at all. Once my subscription is over, it won't get extended.

Crankyrickroll's Avatar


Crankyrickroll
08.01.2012 , 06:57 AM | #462
I miss my SWG

semplew's Avatar


semplew
08.01.2012 , 07:00 AM | #463
Quote: Originally Posted by Crankyrickroll View Post
I miss my SWG
I've been recently playing the SWG EMU. It's pretty much a complete PRE-NGE SWG!

al-mar's Avatar


al-mar
08.01.2012 , 07:03 AM | #464
Quote: Originally Posted by Morrgans View Post
It was never an MMO for Space, for that you can play EVE.
but you know this is star wars?
space fights are a essential part of this franchise... so why not bringing more depth to the space part?

Tabularaza's Avatar


Tabularaza
08.01.2012 , 07:09 AM | #465
Quote: Originally Posted by Crankyrickroll View Post
I miss my SWG
indeed indeed and .. ermm .. oh yes .. indeed
Adler from Bria

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
08.01.2012 , 07:12 AM | #466
At 50 cents a day, the real reason people wouldn't pay the subscription fee wasn't that it was onerous. It's that the content of the game was not worth it to them.

If the content of the game isn't worth 50 cents a day, it's not worth playing for 0 cents a day either.

There won't be enough "free" subscribers paying for add-ons to keep the game going.

GG EA. You've managed to destroy a great game developer and completely miss an opportunity to blow the MMO market away by innovating great features on top of one of the most popular IPs in history.

It's a rare talent. Well, maybe not so much. I hear it comes with the MBA certificate.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

NSStember's Avatar


NSStember
08.01.2012 , 07:14 AM | #467
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I seem to remember people saying the same thing about Star Trek Online...it seems to be doing pretty well since F2P launched.
Star Trek Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online.... just to mention a few that started out subscription and went free to play...and flourished.

I have full confidence Star Wars: TOR will do just fine F2P, if not better than before.

HarleysRule's Avatar


HarleysRule
08.01.2012 , 07:14 AM | #468
Quote: Originally Posted by al-mar View Post
but you know this is star wars?
space fights are a essential part of this franchise... so why not bringing more depth to the space part?
I would like a real space combat experience for this instead of a failshooter also, but the KotOR and Jedi Knight series say "hi".

deags's Avatar


deags
08.01.2012 , 07:14 AM | #469
as I play the game very casually most of the limits of the F2P option wouldn't bother me however I do want to raid.
Therefore i will need to keep paying a sub but this is the only reason i would, so am i willing to pay $15 a month just so i can raid once or twice a week for a few hours?

the answer is probably not and I really hope bioware thinks about players like myself (the casual raider) that they will annoy with the currently planned system.

I believe they either need to allow F2P players a way to gain access to Operations (possibly a one time micro-transaction) or they will have to reduce the sub price to a justifiable level as the game will soon become 90% free and I'm not paying $15 a month for the other 10%.
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance
www.grievanceguild.com

Styxx's Avatar


Styxx
08.01.2012 , 07:16 AM | #470
WOW... just wow. This means Activision will laugh its behind off for years to come, because EA simply lost any respect it might have had left.

The WOW Killer... announced F2P in less than a year...