Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ushuma-Orbi
08.01.2012 , 01:21 AM | #371
Morning all.

I spent, (real life money) in purchase:

1. Pre order Collectors Edition,
2. 180 days suscription,
3. Razer SWTOR, mouse, mouse pad, keyboard and headset,
4. SWTOR Prime Guide,
4. Not related to the topic, but I bought a new rig, wich cost me like $3,000, only to play SWTOR,
5. Bought a website for my guild www.therevengeofnight.com,
6. Etc.

My question is:

The people, like us, who spent a lot of money, beliving in your game, who supports your game, who plays your game, will have best gear/content/ops/wz? And I mean, if I paid $15.00 per month, can I have better gear for example? Or just a fanzy outfit, like "used boxers from Darth Vader which glows in the dark".

If I paid $15.00 per month, can I have direct acces to the "store" and purchase "special items"? Or anybody CAN purchase the special items, for example the F2P "gamers"?

Because if the F2P "gamers" can purchase "special items" from the "special store", which is the point to paid $15.00 per month?

If I can paid for "special items" to have the best gear in game, do I need to do my "daily commendations"?

And the spammers... do you have any "strategy" for the spammers, you know, the people who sold in game credits for real money, for example, I'm a F2P "gamer", but anoher gamer, (you know, the people who paid suscription), wants to sold me some "special items", (only availabe for the people who paid a montlhy suscription) as a F2P "gamer" can I have it?

You really need to clarify not only THIS QUESTIONS, but every single question made in this topic.

Damn Bioware I really trust in you! Why you do something like this? I really enjoy YOUR game, the people like us, who paid you salaries deserve better things!

I really hope you answer this.

And please, do the War Zones only available for suscribers!!

Sorry for my spelling but I'm angry and tired.

Kind Regards.
Ushuma Orbi
Invictus Tenebrae

Ushuma-Orbi
08.01.2012 , 01:27 AM | #372
Quote: Originally Posted by O_JohnnyBravo_O View Post

Although I do have one request.

Can we get the F2P people to have their own colour and filter with the ability to switch off in General Chat?

I foresee the F2P community being made up of kids, trolls, haters and whingers. Whilst they exist now, they're a small minority.

I just want their money for my lvl 50 toons progression and fun. I don't want to actually hear what they have to say.
I support this idea.
Ushuma Orbi
Invictus Tenebrae

Eaglec
08.01.2012 , 01:33 AM | #373
Well for me the good news is that while we currently pay 3 subscriptions in my house after f2p is launched we wont. The bad news is that I can see many other households doing the same thing which means less investment, less development and a slow decline into a trinket heavy but generally shallow world environment.

It's also quite anoying that I just took out another 6 month subscription.

Lahandra
08.01.2012 , 01:47 AM | #374
Like any big change.... only time will tell. Content is king in the MMO world. A f2p system isn't at it's core a bad system, it's just a matter of how it's structured. As a founder, I would love to see more people flock to the game. Yes you will have your 12 year old's, and yes you will have your trolls. But on the bright side, if bringing in more folks fuels future content creation for the sub's then it's fine by me. If it gravitates to a ptw system, then that's it... no more swtor. The founders and current subs of the game would bail, and the new subscribers would follow. But if they add that new content quickly enough, and truly reward the subs while still enticing the newcomers with how attractive it is, then they may very well breathe new life into what is now a currently stalled game.
Anyone reacting to this news with the flippant comment of "that's it, I quit!!" is exactly the kind of person I would be more than happy to see go. Your ignorance is expressed in jumping to such a quick and hasty decision. In all likelihood this is the 12 year old or troll that we don't want around anyway. The obviousness of this is shown in how important they think they are to the continuation of the game, and how their self important statement of their leaving is going to spell doom for BW. World events, a new level cap, new war zones and raids will be the deciding factors. The timetable on new content however is extremely critical. I for one would hope there would be a major update coinciding with the release of the f2p option. Something other than just cosmetic changes purchased with tokens. This too would show some dedication on BW's side to the game and how all this is going to play out.

So there you have it..... Only time will tell...... Here's to BW not screwing the pooch on this....

Lepsta
08.01.2012 , 01:49 AM | #375
The only way ill stick with this game is if they but the F2P players on isolated servers.

Neolen
08.01.2012 , 01:51 AM | #376
I really don't see how introducing a F2P option to lvl 50 will help expand subs. It will, as you suggest, introduce more players to the game but will they be willing to convert to a sub after reaching lvl 50? I think not.

Surely the only way this can be sustained is if you offer great gear for a price? I'm currenly subbing on both WoW and SWTOR and was seriously considering stopping my WoW sub as it is getting really boring, but with this announcment of F2P I have to reconsider my options. Will my time and money continue to be well spent here? I feel as if you seriously need to convince me that it is.

Lahandra
08.01.2012 , 01:57 AM | #377
Again, content will be king..... Something that makes it worth it for the sub's to stay. If BW doesn't get that.... then yeah... they are truly lost. But tell me.... Wouldn't you keep the sub if there was a release of decent content for us next month? Something only the sub's had access to? I think most would, as well as others re-activating to check it out as well..... It's all in the way it's handled.

Grammarye
08.01.2012 , 02:01 AM | #378
Quote: Originally Posted by Ushuma-Orbi View Post
The people, like us, who spent a lot of money, beliving in your game, who supports your game, who plays your game, will have best gear/content/ops/wz? And I mean, if I paid $15.00 per month, can I have better gear for example? Or just a fanzy outfit, like "used boxers from Darth Vader which glows in the dark".

If I paid $15.00 per month, can I have direct acces to the "store" and purchase "special items"? Or anybody CAN purchase the special items, for example the F2P "gamers"?
The free page, FAQ & feature page covers at least some of this.

As a subscriber & CE owner, you'll get 1000 Cartel Coins for owning a CE, 250 Cartel Coins if you're an active player on August 1st, 150 Cartel Coins for each subscribed month prior to July 31st, and 200 Cartel Coins per month after August 1st that you are subscribed, for a potential total of 2300 Cartel Coins starting pot if you subscribed at launch, plus 200 a month on top if you stay subscribed.

Operations cannot be accessed by F2P players. There is nothing stating anything about special items, but you'll start out with a whole lot more coins.

So with that pot of Cartel Coins you will be able to 'freely' purchase the items offered on the Cartel Market which are, quote, 'valuable in-game items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience'. The unknown proviso is of course whether the 200 coins a month plus the initial pot will cover typical expenses of the usual subscriber.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Oggthebase
08.01.2012 , 02:10 AM | #379
Bioware,

STOP listening to people who leave, listen to people who stay.

We don't want to read your babble about how excited you are about 'new ways to making people come and play SWTOR", and "how much fun your team is having working on the new model". It's pure rancor crap.
You downsized your team twice, and you expect them to be happy?

I don't want a new payment model. I want new content.

Patch 1.1 was out 1 month after release, I was favorably impressed.
Patch 1.2 was out 2 months after 1.1, I was kinda meh.
Patch 1.3 was out 3 months after 1.3, with no new content, and I was disappointed.
Now you announce a new payment model but nothing about 1.4.

More story content, more often.

Bioware, listen to the people WHO STAY. Not the leavers.

GalakDarkmoon
08.01.2012 , 02:11 AM | #380
he says 'We look forward to hearing your thoughts, suggestions and feedback'

i try to get answers and got nowere, only given naff links that were no use whatsoever.

he also says this 'Thanks for your support over the last seven months. We have the best fans in the business!'

pahahaha XD your subscriptions dropped you bring out the legacy patch, so many problems for alot of people, you treat players unfairly, e.g lvl 50 players got a month free a while back, yet those of us who were here from start, myself included, got nothing if we didnt have a lvl 50. so many people complain about bugs every day and now you bring out this f2p and so many people are annoyed because some of us have just paid alot of money for the game at start and you are now going to sell it for $15 (9) in august when it was around 40 at launch, and like myslef, have just paid subscription fee of 40 pounds were if id of waited a few weeks i wouldnt of had to, and what do i get bcos id already subscribed for all these months......wait for it....some cartel coins, oh wow, oh my god, thankyou so much (!)

Jeff Hickman we are not the 'best fans in the business' many of us are god like fans and you treat us like gum on your shoe!

i know this wont apply to newer members, but i just hope soemone out there agrees with me!
1st Corellian Marine Corps
The Progenitor /whisper Lennox