Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Deewe
07.31.2012 , 09:24 PM | #291
Quote: Originally Posted by Winguardian View Post
BW you promised us time and time again for quick updates, open communication, and listening to community feedback.
And yet we got none of the above.

Now the real question being: how much did you guys really learn from your past mistakes that lead your decision makers to create this:

Quote:
My husband was one of the ones that got laid off today. Bioware moved us in April with our 3 kids from DC, we put every penny we had down on a fixer upper house, and now this. I am scheduled for 3 major surgeries on Friday, my husband just had a slew of MRI/MRA tests Friday to look for a suspected brain tumor, and our middle son who has an autoimmune disorder is having a flare up. I just don’t know what we are going to do. We were here a week before the first round of layoffs, and have been sick and scared ever since. Moving is expensive, and I am less than a year in remission from cancer, so my medical bills are outrageous.
We are so scared… how are we going to get our son treatment, my husband treatment if the tests find what they think they will… or me?

My husband is an awesome guy, he stood by me for the last couple years of horrible health, never complaining, wiping vomit and **** and whatever needed doing. He doesn’t deserve this. This was his dream.

Bioware/EA has hurt us so badly.

Speaking of the future, you have a very simple and clear track to make the game successfull:

1) Before anything else: start communicating with the fans in a two way fashion.
.......Not only exchange with them before it's too late to change features, based on player's feedback.
.......But also make sure to dig through the suggestion forums and have devs drop by and discuss with the players.

2) Stop butchering the SW lore.
.......Without a label this doesn't look like SW to me, even less that
.......Stop advertising with assets the majority of players told you they don't like or doesn't fit SW.

3) Fix your engine and network synchronization
.......From ugly shadows to seeing grass growing.
.......And get your network synchronization and character positioning right

4) Actually implement the most requested quick wins like (check the forums)
  • Legacy names changes
  • Allow players to have separate last names from legacy ones
  • Dual specs
  • Queue to specific WZ
  • Companions skill kits
  • New quick slot bars
  • Sale/load key bindings
  • 7d GTN posting
  • Appearance tabs
  • Hide specific gear slots
  • Gear dyes
  • Free mods removal
  • Instant teleporting to space ship & drop the orbital stations
  • In game character customization
  • Full companion customization
  • Pazaak
  • Chat bubbles

5) Stop wasting time on:
  • WZ but add open world PvP
  • Tube shooter but implement 3d space sim (X-Wing, not a soon gets old BF type)
  • Generic V.O side quests or Class quests without real choices
  • Dark side choices that are just about greed or fame

Then when after all the above add new content and new features like :
  • New species like Wookiees, Ithorians
  • Player housing
  • Day night cycles (on new planets for start)
  • 3d movement (climbing, force jump, grappling hooks, jet packs....)
  • Pod/Swoop racing
  • UI mods & addons
  • Swimming and under water exploration
  • Seamless maps

Finally if you really want to make TOR that much successful you need to hit the sandbox trail.
  • Adding incentives for socialization and player made events/contents.
  • Implementing non combat based classes.
  • Giving back the galaxy to the players (vs setting everything on rails)

Choosing the hybrid model was right but you're already getting one point wrong: don't remove what a player earned, ever.
Take LotRo as example: when a player subscribes for a month with a character, he unlocks more bag slots and does't loose them when he goes F2P. You already stated otherwise. It's a bad move and it makes you look too greedy.
Other example: when a player start a quest on VIP sub he can still finish it if moving to F2P

Before leaving: if you don't get point #1: there's no hope anymore for this game.

Trust me.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

DevonDs
07.31.2012 , 09:24 PM | #292
Quote: Originally Posted by Rohanshot View Post
Great. Now every WOW Fanboy, GW2 Fanboy, and SWTOR Hater has won. -_-
All the SWG trolls are probably very happy tonight.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

TheUndyingCorpse
07.31.2012 , 09:30 PM | #293
Quote: Originally Posted by Pigdaddy View Post
F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.
if you would read its says
"Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. Second, you have the option to play free to Level 50, with game play restrictions that limit game options and access to certain game content. "
so how did they kill TOR?
Naritus: SWGalaxies Eig8t yr Vet

LaVolpex
07.31.2012 , 09:32 PM | #294
i love this game, i have been a 100% paying customer from day one, never have i missed renewing my monthly , and i did not get a six month plan, even when i stopped playing for 3 months i kept paying , because i think it was deserving of at least 50 cents a day as support to see where you guys took this game...

now after all this time this is what you chose to do? i feel not only disgusted and dissapointed , but also insulted, i feel the need to express my utter discontent with this decision, as expected , EA has done it yet again, and i doubt i will remain a paying subscriber for too long now.

nothing short of the announcement of legacy (paying) players-only servers , or the decision to not go F2P is very likely to make me remain a monthly subscriber

thank you bioware, and i hope you can pull it off, but i do not want to deal with the f2p gaming community , ive experienced it in other f2p games and its the reason i dont play them

im sorry but i cannot support this decision, i think i may be done with bioware, EA and anything that either of these 2 companies touch in the future....next time spit in my face, at least its cheaper on my wallet and dam it its even less insulting than this....i truly only will stay if i can play on a server away from the "freemiums" because i do not want to deal with :

seller spam
ninja looting
afk people
leavers in flashpoints
whiners and trolls that will jsut make free accounts to troll with

i hope it works, but i will cancel my sub the day it goes f2p and move on unless the choice is made to make sub-only severs, only then i will keep paying an active subscription

Sthiss
07.31.2012 , 09:38 PM | #295
/Unsubscribe.
/wave goodriddance

snowyv
07.31.2012 , 09:39 PM | #296
all very well and good... but where's my server transfers to unite my legacy? i assume (foolishly, perhaps) that i as a subscriber i will now be able to do this without paying, without penalty and with all kinds of added perks like legacy renaming and free unlocks?

no? oh ok then...

TRDK
07.31.2012 , 09:40 PM | #297
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
I hope you go bankrupt. I will not buy another Bioware product voluntarily again.
If that's the way you feel no one wants you here anyway, get gone.

TheSeer
07.31.2012 , 09:43 PM | #298
I don’t see this as bad as some do, could it be bad sure if it done wrong but it could also be good. At least there trying something because clearly things weren’t getting better. Maybe we can stabilize it with this new model. After all a lot of people were saying they weren’t going to stay because it wasn’t worth a subscription. Now they can stay.

The only thing I won’t stand for is a play to win game, the store need to be only fluff items. I also hope that the month allowance of Cartel Coins they give us won’t be meaningless. This should work like a reward system for the players who are willing to continue to support the game with a subscription fee.

I for one am holding on to hope this will help the game. Maybe well even do as good as LOTRO and get an expansion.

Sniperrecon
07.31.2012 , 09:47 PM | #299
Quote: Originally Posted by Otembe View Post
Anyone who is quitting over this: If you need someone to send your stuff to before you head out the door, I am here for you.
Add me to that list as well. If you plan on quiting , send all your items to Gottya on Prophecy of The Five server

Creds are more than welcome and i'll make this promise....i won't spend it all in one place and i'll save 50% of it just in case you return
Sniperrecon_USMC
Ex-Elder Jedi
Assassin for VICE guild of Chilistra (formally from Tempest)
7 yrs. with SWG , 18+ toons on a server. Master of all profession in SWG.

Jedi_Tyran
07.31.2012 , 09:47 PM | #300
For those of you who think this is a good change, wake up! Look at STO and LOTRO. They make money but the content is garbage. After the switch, it's gonna be grind, grind, grind, grind, grind, grind.....

There is no community. Players join. Play 2 months and are gone. Guilds will not survive. Raiding will be dead. No one will be around. Just a constant parade of strangers.

So greedy, that you can't just stick with the 500K+ subscribers who believed in you?

Your sub base is going to near zero.

Don't believe me other players? Try STO and LOTRO right now. They're free. See what garbage they produce and call content.

I'm going back to WoW. Was planning on sticking it out here. Not doing that F2P crap.