Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Gwena
07.31.2012 , 09:04 PM | #281
I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I am not against the idea of a cash shop for fluff items and even some things like exp boosts (as you can currently unlock with legacy anyway). Heck, I think this game could really use some more fluff!

On the other hand, I dislike the idea of paying $15 a month for all the features I get now AND paying for any future cash shop fluff* I want. 'Cause that adds up to more than the $15 a month I am currently paying, and if the game stayed P2P, I would not have to pay more real cash for future fluff additions. Here's hoping that subscribers will get enough "cartel coins" a month to get more than a pittance from the cartel market . . .

*Not counting stuff like server transfers, character recustomization, etc.
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

xippo
07.31.2012 , 09:06 PM | #282
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-A View Post
So just continue to pay whats stoping you. If this game was F2P already from start then u wouldent have sayed anything right. Lots of people is playing Rs and its working exactly like this when they pay they get the acess to everything they own when they are not they get denied the things that is not alowed as F2P intill you pay again.

And who would put his power on lvl 8 characters to 50 all over again in 12 accounts who would even put time in doing 12 accounts. Dont we need more people in every server I see DPS complain about that there are not many healer and Tanks to find in the groupfinder well then here thing just got easyer. If someone is spaming btw just put him in ignor list not that hard is it?

You obviously completely missed the point he was making, and for the record there will be no less than a handful of idiots running around doing and sayign anything just because they know it will not affect them negatively becasue they know they can turn around and make yet another account to come back and grief harass and be just in general a PITA. I've seen it first hand with several of the other games I played that went F2P. That is the quality of player you end up attracting with this model and is exactly why this model IS a bad idea, well at least if you are trying to give the appearance of trying to keep a more mature community.

GalacticKegger
07.31.2012 , 09:08 PM | #283
Quote: Originally Posted by Gabbieanne View Post
Are the cartel coins just for buying cosmetic crap or are we going to get something worthwhile that will help gameplay? I for one don't care about fancy shining speeders or annoying pets following me around. I am more interested in stats boosts or some type of gear.
That would be P2W ... so I hope not. Though paid access to decent crafting receipes that don't trump in-game items might be cool.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Mestok
07.31.2012 , 09:08 PM | #284
I saw that players who purchased the Collector's Edition will receive 1000 cartel coins. Will there be any rewards for players who bought the Digital Deluxe Edition?
lolwut

Eillack
07.31.2012 , 09:10 PM | #285
Quote: Originally Posted by Mestok View Post
I saw that players who purchased the Collector's Edition will receive 1000 cartel coins. Will there be any rewards for players who bought the Digital Deluxe Edition?
I say give DDE 600 Coins, otherwise I haven't heard anything.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

SupremeLegate
07.31.2012 , 09:10 PM | #286
Quote: Originally Posted by turtlesnake View Post
people this:http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

and this: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

and this: http://www.swtor.com/free

before replying for the love of all that is holy.
Ah, thanks for that...(goes to read)

Jobeleca
07.31.2012 , 09:13 PM | #287
Quote: Originally Posted by thesaltman View Post
BTW: I totally agree that anyone with the "Founder" title should be given free lifetime subscription rate. It just makes sense since we are the ones who stuck with the game during its haydays and the downfall as well
I disagree with this, I agree however that there should be a lifetime subscription rate. I would argue that deluxe edition owners should receive a 25% discount and collectors edition owners should receive a 50% discount. I would set the base rate as equal to two years subscription at $15/mo $360. Something I could get behind is the base price of $360 minus credit given for months previously subscribed.
To bathe a cat takes brute force, perservance, courage of conviction - and a cat.
The last ingredient is usually hardest to come by.
- Stephen Baker

xippo
07.31.2012 , 09:14 PM | #288
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
I say give DDE 600 Coins, otherwise I haven't heard anything.
I would be good with that idea, but I am not going to count on anything like that. The DDE folks (myself included) I think are going to get shafted on this one.

LordRyll
07.31.2012 , 09:21 PM | #289
Any reason you failed to mention Cathar as a new playable species??

55 - Sith Sorcerer / 55 - Imperial Agent Operative
Imperial Guard - Shadowlands - Empire
"The Terentateks are predators, and the Jedi are its prey."

Kioth
07.31.2012 , 09:23 PM | #290
Well SWTOR Dies to be because its going F2P this was a bad move. And will only cause HUGE problems for you. Well good luck with that. Cause when SWTOR Goes F2P You wont see me play anymore
Squadron 11-11-11

*Never Forget*