Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Wefi
07.31.2012 , 07:29 PM | #231
Quote: Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Club Penquin
hello kitty online adventures.
Ex-SWG clientside Modder. Creator of Super Jedi. Fixing what is broken since 2004.

Jobeleca
07.31.2012 , 07:30 PM | #232
My only experience with subscription to F2P conversion was with Cryptic and Star Trek: Online, which was a severely negative experience that led to my abandoning the game and I still have hard feelings against them and will never play anything else made by them.

#1 Don't screw over people who have played a year (by that time) by doing what Cryptic did - convert to a new currency and only give you 2/3rd the value of the currency vs what doing the exact same thing gets you after F2P conversion, and don't hike prices by 30% to 200%.

#2 Don't make another Cryptic mistake of introducing lockboxes or other elements of gambling.

#3 Don't make another Cryptic mistake of sliding into pay to win, starting with cosmetic items and ending with buying new powers you can't compete against as a free player.

#4 Don't make another Cryptic mistake of distracting developers with the constant focus on lame gimmicks to bring in cash. I'm ok with offering legacy benefits for cash alternative to game currency ($1 per 100k credits would be fair to me) so long as it doesn't result in enormous price hikes.

#5 Don't make another Cryptic mistake of selling individual items that cost as much as or even four times as much as a month's subscription previously did.

That said, I would have been all for nixing the box cost and introducing cash options for legacy stuff to make up the difference, but given how severely I was burned by Cryptic's F2P move I am leery of what is coming. Regarding their Cartel coins, I hope they have something worth spending on given how completely lackluster the game enhancements for buying the Digital and Collectors editions were - the speeder was really the only benefit. When Legacy came out I was really hoping that Dexlue and Collectors edition owners would get discounted rates for paying extra real money, but that didn't happen.

Depending on what "some restrictions" there will be on F2P, I can easily see myself still subscribing to the game and even purchasing a lifetime subscription if offered.

What they are doing in August with a box cost of $15 w/1mo free time is what I think ALL MMO's should do, there shouldn't be a large box cost that provides barrier of entry. Paying for additional content levels I can certainly see, For example you get Act 1 for free, Act 2 for $10, Act 3 for $10, etc. with acts 2 & 3 being enhanced to have the same density of story progression/interaction that Act 1 has.

P.S. Something I would ABSOLUTELY pay for is decorating my ship interior. This is something I REALLY loved about the game "Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance". Another great thing would be the guild capital ships that were discussed pre-launch and make them customizable. Star Trek Online just introduced Fleet Starbases which are esssentially the same thing and since then I've been logging in daily to help my old guild construct their Starbase, which is the only part of the game I participate in, because that was such a major goal of our guild prior to F2P when I was still playing.
To bathe a cat takes brute force, perservance, courage of conviction - and a cat.
The last ingredient is usually hardest to come by.
- Stephen Baker

CarverX
07.31.2012 , 07:31 PM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-A View Post
So I dont get it the game goes F2P and still improving and people is complaning why? Some just dont like it and some is becaus they are geting dinied the things they hade when they used to pay. well wake up u payed befor u can pay again from time to time. And for the people who just dont like it I dont know what u like or how u think!

Wake up and be greatfull for once. complains, complains, complains what is it with u dont u like to be treated well?

Well for one we paid 60-150 bucks for a game people are about to get the improved version of for 15. Not to mention another 120 for 8 months of subs. Only to be denied cool things in a new store that our 200 coins won't cover because they are 2000.

We will have to put up with much greater chat spam, general idiotic behavior/hacker abuse from FTP players that will become rampant due to the fact that they won't care if their 12th free account gets banned.
The Shadowlands

Mournblood
07.31.2012 , 07:31 PM | #234
F2P, while a potentially good hook to reel in new subscribers, is undermined by making too much of the game available to F2P. I'm not sure who's ultimately behind the decision, but you should limit F2P to the first Act of each story. Get potential subscribers hooked on the story, and they might be willing to subscribe to see more of it. But by giving them virtually everything a subscriber has, only with some minor limitations, doesn't do much to encourage their subscription, and does a disservice to your current subscribers no matter what "perks" you offer them.

Your problem, despite how you might spin it in your announcement, is how to maintain a viable subscriber base to keep the game profitable and healthy. Bringing the TOR experience to more players for free isn't going to pay your developers to create new content for the ones who are paying. F2P also invites other problems and bad elements into the game that I'm not sure you've even considered, such as players who feel free to "misbehave", which negatively impacts the game experience for other (paying) players, because they simply have no vested interest in the game - they aren't paying for it because it's free. Anyone who's played in a F2P game can attest to this.

My personal prediction is that this decision will hurt the game more than help it.

sinjinhawkes
07.31.2012 , 07:32 PM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by chaossereph View Post
So... all the people that purchased the collector edition, get extra items and so on. ...but what about the people who purchased the the digital deluxe edition? are they being put into the same category as those who purchased the standard version of the game?
I want to know about this as well. At least give us the option to purchase an upgrade to the same level as the CE. I also agree with those saying that 14.99$ will be too much when this launches. 10.00$ would be fine. But 14.99$ for such limited bonus is not cool. Not happy about this really but it was inevitable with all the screw ups by EA/Bioware to date.

Also, F2P people should never, NEVER, have access to the legacy system. Period.

GalacticKegger
07.31.2012 , 07:32 PM | #236
Quote: Originally Posted by DocNavyGuy View Post
I wondered the same thing. I have been a subscribing member since Early Access, too. I would hate to hear that only those who purchased the Collectors edition get the xtra benefits.
For 2x the purchase price of the DDE and 3x the purchase price of the standard edition I can see CE owners finally getting more love.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Syvach
07.31.2012 , 07:35 PM | #237
For someone that's upset with this change, my question is: What was the alternative? If the two options are

a) Go F2P, gain additional revenue for the game to drive further development, support the servers and staff and just keep the game alive

b) Stick with Subscription model and let the game die a slow death; shut down all servers within another year

Which would you prefer? For me, I'd like Bioware to try the F2P model and see if it works. It's better than shutting the game down. Then again, I've never played a F2P game. For myself, I only plan to finish leveling my characters to 50 anyway. I have no interest in Flashpoints, Operations or Warzones. So we'll see.

krossjointz
07.31.2012 , 07:36 PM | #238
I officially unsubscribed and uninstalled today go take your free to play *** **** and shove it up your *** you should have fixed the *********** problems with the game instead of being moranic *********** ******* QQing about what new **** you want to put in the game. maybe then this retarded *** hybrid f2p model wouldnt exist and you wouldnt lose the rest of your subscribers congrats you *********** mental ******* thank you for killing any gosh darn hope i had of a star wars mmo

may the force be with you as you all burn in *********** hell

ZudetGambeous
07.31.2012 , 07:37 PM | #239
People seem confused about what's free and what isn't.

You get free CLASS stories until 50. If you want to actually level to 50 you'll have to buy the side quest packs most likely.

It is highly unlikely you will be able to level to 50 for free.
I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream. Even without the Force, he is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine."

glennha
07.31.2012 , 07:38 PM | #240
Great way to ruin the game. One of the best parts of the game was the mature players and lack of annoying, rude & stupid kids you have to put up with on f2p games. I you're going to do this at least put the f2p players on the servers about to be abandoned woth low numbers so they can't ruin the game for suscribers.