Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

rlhaas
07.31.2012 , 06:38 PM | #201
Well well well. I stand corrected. Wow. Free to Play. I uh..wow.
'Admit it, the internet is a glorified hate machine that will never stop,'.

rickpArry
07.31.2012 , 06:41 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I am not surprised by this- and not because of the whole TOR is "not doing well" idea. I've seen other games go with this hybrid model and actually not only do better financially, but be able to do more about improving the game.

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. I really don't care for the new companion as the HK's were never my favorites in KOTOR.
i will quit playing the game if they DO do this.
There are allot of things in life you can pirate,
for everything else there's MasterCard.

Caddax
07.31.2012 , 06:42 PM | #203
I sometimes think "How long will I stick around after I play through all of the class quests?". My answer has always been a wait and see approach of what will be available when I get there. F2P? I"ve been in other mmo's during a convergent and it wasn't too terrible. Though I'm not really playing those games anymore either.

What I want to know is what about the Legacy system? I have yet to see anything mentioned about it in the F2P model. Will non-subscribers have to pay for access? Will they get the name option but then have to pay to obtain powers from it? If it is the later will it be account/server wide or per character only?

Looking at the subscription vs. free features I'm interested in finding out how limited the character creation will be.
Everyone expects the Sith Inquisition.

Xanneros
07.31.2012 , 06:42 PM | #204
Most of the people upset about this havent even read the full extent of the information available for the f2p model. Those of us who have,,,have our worries but we aren't raging and immediately saying "OMG I R LEAVING GAME BIOWARE SUXOR LULZ". Everyone is just making baseless biased opinions without even reading about or seeing the f2p model in action so what's the deal. Point is, it's too early to be complaining about anything. Put on your big kid pants and realize the rest of us don't care if you leave or you hate Bioware , we don't care.

Erudain
07.31.2012 , 06:44 PM | #205
Regretfully it will come down to p2w....everything will be fine for a couple months but then someone will show up with a greedy look and the $ in his eyes and say "lets add this box with HM materials on", "lets add this +50 all stats costume to use over your armor for 30 days", "lets add this HP/power/surge/alac scroll for 2 hours".

List of games I played that started with vanity items and derailed to p2w games:
- Aion (after f2p)
- R.O.H.A.N
- RF Online
- Atlantica Online
- Perfect World
- Fiesta Online
- Flyff
- Granado Espada
- Twelve Sky

I'm sure there are plenty more, but guess it's an example that every games eventually ends with p2w items from the cash shop

DarkSaberMaster
07.31.2012 , 06:44 PM | #206
Well. i enjoyed the time that I did have here. I knew that this was coming. Anybody who wasn't blind could see that a mile away. But anyways. I hope it works out for y'all. It doesn't give me a good feeling that they are shifting to this model and I just feel that the quality of this game is going to go down. Just wish the would have actually listened to the people in beta and afterwards. They wouldn't have even needed to do this F2P option. But oh well. What's done is done. Good luck to all of you staying.
Referral link to claim your new or returning player rewards.
Ezs'ra: Sith Mara
Harbinger

DutchKing
07.31.2012 , 06:44 PM | #207
I'm disappointed

BW doesn't understand what gamers want

DehBigOne
07.31.2012 , 06:47 PM | #208
making f2p till 50 is just plain stupid, it really angers me and a lot of other people who have subscribed for a while because it just means that our money went to waste, and yes i understand that some content won't be available, but still. it will just ruin the game

Steverak
07.31.2012 , 06:47 PM | #209
To be honest the game going F2P isn't a surprise to me, I'm just hoping it has the same effect on it like what happened to Lord of the RIngs Online (LORTO), Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO) and as you said Star Trek Online. The first 2 games have become very profitable and have allowed for them to expand quite well. We just have to see what happens to it.

I also hope people who subscribe will get some major bonus's for them compared to F2P like for example if you F2P you have to spend cartel credits to gain access to operations or certain quests, and I believe cartel credits are going to be purchasable through a store, is that right?

Corpselight
07.31.2012 , 06:50 PM | #210
It will become that eventually nearly every F2P mmo i have played started out decent then it became about making money to purchase items needed to play the game. In some cases it was deliberate in the rest it evolved that way as players were granted total control of premium currency and sold it in game thus wrecking the standard economy. Imagine 7,000 credits for a single low level medkit that heals you for 500hp 100,000 for a level 14 blue hilt or barrel.

Quote: Originally Posted by Amien View Post
I have no issues with Free-to-Play. Where I have a problem is when F2p because Pay-to-Win. As long as they don't do that, they will still be getting my money.