Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Comstrike
07.31.2012 , 06:32 PM | #191
I am thrilled the announcement finally came, since I've been waiting and predicting this would occur for nearly two years!

My hope is that they will emulate the LOTRO model as closely as possible, since it has been great for that game. Indeed, contrary to the myths that some would like folks to believe, it has added much to the game, not the least of which has been choice, variety in fluff, greater and faster content releases, and the ability to keep our Kinship (Guild) community together, despite some not being able to sustain more than one MMO subscription at a time.

I doubt most of those who were most bitterly opposed to this will actually leave. The game will surely gain far more active players for making this change, and the communities are certain to be stronger because of it.

Likewise, if this game matches the LOTRO experience in making the transition, we will not see the quality of players degrade. This was another myth put forward by people as LOTRO made the transition.

In the end, people kvetch, and those who moan about Freemium have their reasons. Those which they state openly, and the real reasons, which most won't dare say openly, be they would reveal them to be simply bitter and resentful.

But the challenges are still ahead for this game. It is not enough to just flip the switch. They must deliver. Freemium or not, if the content does not roll, people will bleed away. If they don't fix the core issues, the number of freeimies will grow and they will have the same problems as before.
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

Wefi
07.31.2012 , 06:33 PM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by Emohawk View Post
But you can level for free to 50...so you willing to sub for operations and a few more fashpoints?
level cap should be increased with 1.4.. So you missing out on top content, and pvp gear.
Ex-SWG clientside Modder. Creator of Super Jedi. Fixing what is broken since 2004.

Callianna
07.31.2012 , 06:33 PM | #193
So glad my sub is up in August, feel like I've just been ripped off royally. 80 bucks for a game that went F2P before the first year is even up plus all my sub fees that went to pay for the development of F2P instead of the content that it should have went to pay for. First and only game I will ever buy from your company, what a joke.

PPAlien
07.31.2012 , 06:34 PM | #194
First of all, not too happy but hoping it will turn out well.

Secondly, it is stated that Collectors Edition will receive a prize. However, Digital Deluxe players don't appear to be mentioned at all.
That puts the unique prizes per price paid at (ignoring the prizes everyone gets):
Collectors Edition - Prize
Digital Deluxe - Nothing
Normal Edition - Nothing
Free-to-play - --No Subscription

You are puting both deluxe and some long time subscribers at a deficit to the free to play players.

Also, there are couple of Imperial items advertised for the cartel coins, but I see on republic items, I certainly hope that you bring out some GOOD republic stuff as well one day. Because it is getting a little ridiculous.

Tsillah
07.31.2012 , 06:35 PM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by ClavisN View Post
LOL. There is this thing called GW1. Around for 7 years now, it's been F2P from day one.
No it wasn't. It was B2P and you had to pay for each expansion as well and it wasn't a fully instanced game. Not a persistant world like MMO's have. Outside cities you would never run into other players. I enjoyed that game immensely but it was never a real MMO, so GW1 doesn't really count in this discussion.

F2P MMOs have been around for a long time as it is. It's not about pioneering but about market saturation. Sub models are less popular and there are too many games too choose from. Sad is it is f2p is a necessity to make games work nowadays. WoW just was the right game at the right time. The rest is **** out of luck. Just the way it is. Pioneering would be doing something completely different from this. Haven't seen that yet. GW2 is just f2p game that charges you a box price as well.
Et In Gehenna Vixi...

Wefi
07.31.2012 , 06:35 PM | #196
Quote: Originally Posted by PPAlien View Post
First of all, not too happy but hoping it will turn out well.

Secondly, it is stated that Collectors Edition will receive a prize. However, Digital Deluxe players don't appear to be mentioned at all.
That puts the unique prizes per price paid at (ignoring the prizes everyone gets):
Collectors Edition - Prize
Digital Deluxe - Nothing
Normal Edition - Nothing
Free-to-play - --No Subscription

You are puting both deluxe and some long time subscribers at a deficit to the free to play players.

Also, there are couple of Imperial items advertised for the cartel coins, but I see on republic items, I certainly hope that you bring out some GOOD republic stuff as well one day. Because it is getting a little ridiculous.
150 bucks vs 60 bucks.
although digital should get something.
Ex-SWG clientside Modder. Creator of Super Jedi. Fixing what is broken since 2004.

Amien
07.31.2012 , 06:35 PM | #197
I have no issues with Free-to-Play. Where I have a problem is when F2p because Pay-to-Win. As long as they don't do that, they will still be getting my money.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
New Thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297

Xanneros
07.31.2012 , 06:37 PM | #198
LOL everyone raging over this makes me laugh. Us players who actually like this game, will keep playing. You can leave...no one cares if you do ****. Better off without people who complain about every little thing. The only thing that changes for subbers is noobs and trolls in chat...big deal. Every other mmo has noobs and trolls in chat. All I have for the people upset about this is an invisible violin and a sign that says "So long".

Tsillah
07.31.2012 , 06:37 PM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by PPAlien View Post
You get 1000 cartel points for the CE
The rest get 150-200 points per paid month so far. I wouldn't say they get nothing.
Et In Gehenna Vixi...

SithEmpress
07.31.2012 , 06:37 PM | #200
This could be a good or bad change depending on how it done. For one it could bring in some new people which mean more people to play with which is a win in my book.

Iím slightly worried about the Cartel Coins (cash shop). Obviously we donít know what thing will cost, but what I am given a month should count for something. I should be able to buy some nice things for my characters; Iím not saying I should be able to buy everything. I just donít want to have to save for months to buy one thing or fork out more cash on top of the sub to buy these perk/items. This could real be a turn off for me. Simple make sure those of us who continue to pay a sub feel reward for doing so.

Also please donít put all the best/coolest items in the cash shop. That can get old quite fast. There should be a good mix of stuff added to the game and things added to the shop.

Remember the crafter and donít obsolete them with the store. Last don't make anything in the store a must have to play, such as elite lightsaber that are more powerful than those in game. Stay with cosmetic items, pets, speeder, etc.

PS It would be nice if you give a little something to those of us who bought the digtial deluxe edition (half the amount of coin or an item), after all we did spend more too. Still nice to see the CE getting some love, my sister will be happy.

I love the game and hope this will help the game see future expansion.