Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

llonger
07.31.2012 , 05:07 PM | #121
We wanted new story new context we got it. This is very very good. What subscribers get after level 50 level 51?
probably area 51

qamarnahaar
07.31.2012 , 05:11 PM | #122
I'm disappointed. I'm personally not a fan of Free to Play and micro-transactions. To me it's like the miserable experience of flying in the US where the airlines constantly nickle and dime you for every little item, and still cut back on overall service. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

rahadnak
07.31.2012 , 05:11 PM | #123
Well, it is true this is the direction the market is taking these days, and though it's true this might be the only SWTOR salvation, i doubt it wil. All of your efforts, Bioware, have been focused on creating a copy of WOW, and if you don't take your own direction and develope a unique personality, there will be nothing special that could attract anyone to this game, and then everything will be over. I suggest you to concentrate on those characteristics which make SWTOR different from other MMOs and to be more creative and free, and above all, listen to what subscribers say, and keep them happy, no matter if they're premium or if they play for free.

excuse my english, i'm not a native speaker

Nohonor
07.31.2012 , 05:11 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Maatkara View Post
So here is my take...I agree with many mentioning the failure at releasing new end game content. The game has been out for quite some time now and one of the best ways to entice people to return/keep paying sub would be to release new content and raise lvl cap (5 lvls increase is more than laughable, it's insulting). I have 6 lvl 50s that are essentially "retired" because there is nothing to really do with them (pve anyways, pvp can go terrorize zones). I have no desire to create another character because I've done everything 9 times now...yes, 9 characters (3 pvp)...it's become monotonous.
Secondly, I feel the f2p option is a bad idea. While it does generate larger player base generally, it usually ends up ruining the game for long-time players. I've seen too many games go f2p and then become so easy it's pathetic all to appease the f2p-players. I really don't want to see that happen with SWTOR. Unfortunately, they will be spending more time on appeasing these people that expect everything for free than to release new story and worlds. This is the first sign that their writers have hit a block and don't know what to do. When you create a game like this, you should be thinking long-term in not only finance, but for content. The basic business model calls for 5 years...implement it.
You play this game way too much!

I suggest playing other games as well so that you never get to the point you just described.

randalthorr
07.31.2012 , 05:12 PM | #125
AWESOME. EXACTLY THE **** I DID NOT WANT THIS GAME TO DO. *********** ****.

I loved this game for years even before it was anywhere close to being complete. What complete fools and morons. Next they will remove all these 'restrictions' they have for these f2p players and the **** are we still paying 15$ for features that are already free. Drop to 7 bucks a month you little money grabbing shtis. I believe Ill be done with this game, one that I still love, very very soon.

THE ****, you little ***** did not even release a good content update and your already going into miking mode. Bioware, I believe I am done with you and your games. I have always paid for your games, not because I cannot acquire them using any other means, only because I loved your products and was loyal. Ill surely continue to play those single players games that you'll continue to make, if only to see how crappy you become over the years, but sure as hell will not be buying them to play.

WHY IS THE SUB STILL $15. WY SHOULD WE PAY FULL RATES FOR STUFF THAT IS HALF FREE
“Equality is a chain, like obedience. Like fear or uncertainty or self doubt.”
-Darth Bane

Red-Zone Australia

titocorales
07.31.2012 , 05:12 PM | #126
Two thumbs up for F2P!

yoktukie
07.31.2012 , 05:13 PM | #127
Since I read the F2P page and signed in for about 30mins, i've seen 2 guildmates sell all there items, give there cash to someone, drop guild with last message,"good bye, i'm uninstalling SWTOR now."
So based on my first 30 minutes, on the day of the annoucement, this game is LOSSING END GAME PLAYERS. Which is funny when EA is trying to get new people wth this new F2P thing; time they get here no one will be here (but some dps classes i'm sure lol) so it'll take them 6 months just to get to ec, assuming they are allowed in, or not bored and quit, or by then i'm sure there will be a much better MMORPG out to play and; BAM. ALL ea's free to play plans used against them because they were to busy thinking about their own game and forgot that other gaming companies see them pushing a million of their fans away, and make or find a way to atract them to other games. Which is already happening, people are talking about going back to wow, DnD, ....

Personally I can't stop but to laugh at Ea, they make a MMORPG of one of the ALL TIME BEST EPIC SYFY movies of all time, make a really nice MMORPG out of it; THEN (And here is the BEST part) they find ways to push away all there present subscribers with the hope of getting more NON subscribers that do not have to pay. SO whom ever is running ea apparently DOES NOT LIKE money lol; since so far he/she is pushing away paying customers for non paying ones. Thats like paying to eat at a restaurant then the server comes over and says, "even though you are paying, we are seating this homeless man at your table who is not paying to eat for free with you."lol
Next patch will be called, "The Great EXODUS of the old republic", all the founders leaving, assuming they have not already.....

Corpselight
07.31.2012 , 05:13 PM | #128
Would be nice if they concentrate on expanding storyline and leave the bling for later. They should have made it FTP at the start like so many had suggested! I guess i will most likely be leaving at the end of the year like i left STO. Perhaps i'll try the secret world (i hear that it is story driven) or go back to E.V.E online
Quote: Originally Posted by Tylerlee View Post
I think you need to realise 90% of the items in the cash shop are going to be aimed at getting the F2P players to spend cash on boosts.

Someone like myself who has multiple level 50s and does not need/want to level another character only has Operations and a few more WZs to look forward to, how is that worth $15 a month?

Beltorze
07.31.2012 , 05:15 PM | #129
F2P is the worst thing you can do to this game that is barely 6 months old. If you are having dev issues atleast take the game offline for a bit and work to fix them, yeah you will loose money doing that but it is still alot less than what you would loose with making it F2P. Bioware you gave in to the complainers when you announced that release would be the same date world wide and you gave in when players complained about the ending to ME3. Seriously, are you or are you not in control here?

Nohonor
07.31.2012 , 05:15 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by yoktukie View Post
Since I read the F2P page and signed in for about 30mins, i've seen 2 guildmates sell all there items, give there cash to someone, drop guild with last message,"good bye, i'm uninstalling SWTOR now."
So based on my first 30 minutes, on the day of the annoucement, this game is LOSSING END GAME PLAYERS.
That just means there will be new end game players!!