Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Corpselight
07.31.2012 , 05:03 PM | #111
WOW! Talk about CRAP! I see EA and bioware are taking some pages from PWI. Sell useless junk and act like it is something to be excited about.
Quote: Originally Posted by Raduaerosx View Post
Is Someone Is Confused About the Subscription and F2p , Here is The Info : http://www.swtor.com/free

Folky
07.31.2012 , 05:03 PM | #112
This isn't a good change, every MMO that has gone F2P has solely relied on a niche market, the population honestly might go up but not by much and will just remain stagnant and will eventually decline slowly. This game will never be big, it will just be there and remain mediocre in a market full of other mediocre MMO's. This move is just looking to bleed out a little extra cash before they shut it down eventually.

So whatever, this game was doomed the minute they copy/pasted wow and slapped a Star Wars theme on it.

vandana_
07.31.2012 , 05:03 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
The vendor, I'm sure, will have vanity items that aren't in normal gameplay.
So now we are differentiating what is normal gameplay and what isn't... My questions stands - if subscribers have unrestricted access to EVERYTHING what are the coins for? I bet my aunt's pants that the coins that go with the subscription will not be enough to buy everything (otherwise they would not award the bonus coins they are awarding because the normal points would be enough to cover everything). So your subscription will not cover EVERYTHING. And you are still paying the subscription.

They can't get their facts straight and do things right even in this "exciting" announcement.
V'ox

KennethHoover
07.31.2012 , 05:04 PM | #114
Okay, I have defended this game for a long time. However, there's no way you can spin this as a good thing. This game is obviously drowning and clutching at a razor blade.

I say we show some compassion and take away the razor blade.....
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

Nohonor
07.31.2012 , 05:05 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Corpselight View Post
WOW! Talk about CRAP! I see EA and bioware are taking some pages from PWI. Sell useless junk and act like it is something to be excited about.
They understand that people are like pack rats. We travel in groups and like to collect stuff.

Why not oblige us then?

Liquidacid
07.31.2012 , 05:06 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Yinata View Post
Thanks Bioware, you officially gave me a reason to go buy GW2.
so because this game is adding a f2p option and a cash shop you are leaving to join a game that is launching f2p with a cash shop...
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

JJDrakken
07.31.2012 , 05:06 PM | #117
So the Digital Deluxe people get screwed then? Collectors get 1000 Cartel Coins & a Banner, while those who purchased Digital Deluxe get jack diddly?

JJ
GUILD: LEGACY Server: The Harbinger
A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he ain't afraid of anything.
This Jawa is hiding something!

ARCCommanderDan
07.31.2012 , 05:06 PM | #118
Let's just say I hope we see more than 1 update per month, atleast 3 more in-game events within the rest of the year, rewards for digital-deluxe buyers, and more than 3 items in the cartel coins vendor at launch...

SinnedQWERTY
07.31.2012 , 05:07 PM | #119
New news items (pun intended) .. EA/BW just releashed info about an option to use Cartel Coins to buy/sell on the AH also. In some way creating an real money AH.

jk, but doesn't seem to far fetched after BW is actually going f2p on a game of theirs. BW, you guys where one of my childhood heroes when it was about real quality games ... Grats on reaching a new low.

/cancelled. (but seeing how excited you all are about this, you probably think thats great news ... )

Maatkara
07.31.2012 , 05:07 PM | #120
So here is my take...I agree with many mentioning the failure at releasing new end game content. The game has been out for quite some time now and one of the best ways to entice people to return/keep paying sub would be to release new content and raise lvl cap (5 lvls increase is more than laughable, it's insulting). I have 6 lvl 50s that are essentially "retired" because there is nothing to really do with them (pve anyways, pvp can go terrorize zones). I have no desire to create another character because I've done everything 9 times now...yes, 9 characters (3 pvp)...it's become monotonous.
Secondly, I feel the f2p option is a bad idea. While it does generate larger player base generally, it usually ends up ruining the game for long-time players. I've seen too many games go f2p and then become so easy it's pathetic all to appease the f2p-players. I really don't want to see that happen with SWTOR. Unfortunately, they will be spending more time on appeasing these people that expect everything for free than to release new story and worlds. This is the first sign that their writers have hit a block and don't know what to do. When you create a game like this, you should be thinking long-term in not only finance, but for content. The basic business model calls for 5 years...implement it.