Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nohonor
07.31.2012 , 04:37 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by OnoriaMortalitas View Post
Thanks for killing the game, and selling out to 10 year olds with no money.

You've just cost yourself a lot of players.

Now if you made a Sub Only set of servers.. might be a different story..
There are plenty of 10 year olds who have their parents pay for this game. I also know of 30 and 40 year olds who act more immature in a pay to play game than the so called 10 year olds in a free to play.

If you really want to get to the nitty gritty of this, what you say smacks of elitism found in every single P2P game in existance. Xbox Live, PSN, and our very own internet all have the same type of people.

Nohonor
07.31.2012 , 04:38 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by vandana_ View Post
Explain one thing to me:

If the subscribers have unrestricted access to everything what do they need cartel coins for???
Fun stuff, or if they do not wish to purchase expansions with real money.

deathlash
07.31.2012 , 04:38 PM | #73
the only good thing that can come from this free to play with all the nubs we can rise the prices of items on the GTN so nubs can't now ever afford all the high end gear that people craft and if so we can all make a crap load off their fail asses lol

Nereves
07.31.2012 , 04:39 PM | #74
I am saddened by this turn of events. I shall be cancelling my sub before the next pay period. o7

Kinvarus
07.31.2012 , 04:40 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I seem to remember people saying the same thing about Star Trek Online...it seems to be doing pretty well since F2P launched.
I'm sorry but having played STO for 2 years now and it sucked a long time before they went F2P with it and it's been getting worse since, not to mention Cryptic went a year and a half without releasing any new content, so as long as Bioware don't do the same thing and keep the releases coming they should be fine.

Personally I love this game, I've been here through a few of the Beta's, pre-access and a Collector's Edition owner and I'm still here and love it as much as I did when I first started in the Beta. And for the haters saying that TOR going F2P will kill it I don't think so.

Like I said STO has sucked for a long time now but when they went F2P with it, it brought in a hell of a lot of new players, some who pretty much came and went once they did the game and others who stayed around. Most MMO's die because either A: Lack of players and the company decided that it's not worth keeping the servers running for who is left eg: The Matrix Online. B: The Community dies and/or gets filled with the haters and the fans get fed up and leave and C: The Company starts making bad decisions like poor content and ignoring their fanbase and it's complaints (Like Cryptic/PW do with STO).

Personally I think that going F2P will be a good thing for TOR although personally I'm still going to keep subscribing, hell I'm still asking for a lifetime subscription option! Besides if you want a perfect example of a game going F2P and it being a success I have one title for you: DC Universe Online. That game was struggling, it went F2P and it's paid off monumentally for Sony Online ever since, the players came, they stayed and it's still thriving to this day with great and regular content releases.

So I think as long as Bioware handle it properly then I think TOR will do well.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"Goodness reflects the light and evil bears the seed of all darkness. These are mirrors of the soul, reflections of the mind."

ARCCommanderDan
07.31.2012 , 04:40 PM | #76
This is actually going to get plenty of subs, not to mention I will finally get my friends to play! There's one thing I want to mention though...if there's going to be lots of customizable armor bought by cartel coins or by other means then I want the cost for extracting mods either completely gone or majorly reduced...if there's some armor that looks cooler than my WH gear and I want to use that armor then it's going to cost WAY too much credits to get all my mods in there. Most lvl 50 players will not be able to afford that much.

Talosred
07.31.2012 , 04:41 PM | #77
So what all benefits do people who still subscribe get?

Mallonee
07.31.2012 , 04:41 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Gherig View Post
Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.
LEGO Universe. Took a F2P method and the regular sub was only $10 instead of $15 and they went under pretty bad.
DeviantArt: talonmallonee.deviantart.com/

- 50 Sage

ShallowBay
07.31.2012 , 04:42 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by vandana_ View Post
Explain one thing to me:

If the subscribers have unrestricted access to everything what do they need cartel coins for???
^ This.
Ebon Hawk -- Et'hahlid, Kima'sa, Chisti, Maysa, Nenneto
There is no death, there is the Force.

JWagner
07.31.2012 , 04:43 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by ShallowBay View Post
^ This.
Cartel Coins will buy vanity items. They have no impact on the gameplay itself, etc.
You have unrestricted access to the actual gameplay.
█||||||||()█≡(█████The Ebon Hawk (RP)█████►
Drayson Jedi Guardian | Dinaya Jedi Shadow | | Ree'ki Gunslinger
Dray Sith Marauder | Dinaya Sith Sorcerer | Dalina Powertech | Si'her'ka Operative