Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Owsley
07.31.2012 , 04:12 PM | #31
Instead of coins to buy SWAG, shouldn't CE owners have new exclusive items on the CE vendor? The stuff there now is crap. I've never used it.
"But war, organised war, is not a human instinct. It is a highly planned and co-operative form of theft."
Jacob Bronowski - The Ascent of Man

Tylerlee
07.31.2012 , 04:12 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
In every game I've seen go F2P or Freemium if you prefer sub players get exclusive content and cashshop currency with their sub. If you don't find the game worth subbing to, then don't. It's that simple. That's what Free to Play gives you. You pay for what you want. If you want to not have to bother with it and continue along as you are, then keep your sub.
I think you need to realise 90% of the items in the cash shop are going to be aimed at getting the F2P players to spend cash on boosts.

Someone like myself who has multiple level 50s and does not need/want to level another character only has Operations and a few more WZs to look forward to, how is that worth $15 a month?
Darkstarz - [GoS]
Imperial Agent Sniper Rank 73
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)

Jawa_Trooper
07.31.2012 , 04:13 PM | #33
honestly? im ok with Free To Play, i play Single Player mostly anyway, so i can level my guys and play the story all i want now.
According to BioWare, I lack the imagination to get into the mindset of a species that doesn't have a pretty, human-looking face. I feel inclined to disagree http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?r...ae0e4569459154
Join me at League of Legends

Gherig
07.31.2012 , 04:14 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Xuvy View Post
LOL 'go play checkers' not even chess? LOL ... i too think the mmo has seen better days... I had mmo burnout from my second and third jobs a.k.a wow raiding.
LOL if hes not smart enough to see F2P is a benefit for everyone, Checkers might even be a hurdle for him, clearly never going to learn chess.

fredman
07.31.2012 , 04:15 PM | #35
so when do we see the free coins?

pogmahone
07.31.2012 , 04:15 PM | #36
My over all thought here

BatMorph
07.31.2012 , 04:15 PM | #37
I am 100% for this option, it brings more players to the game who will pay for options they would like to use. I know we will get a lot of Froobs(what Anarchy Online always called the free players), yet that is to be expected. I can see pug groups getting worse if they don't have good armor, so I'm hoping they do something about that, if not, there are bound to be a few cons.

Pro's are more people and the game lasting longer because of it. I will still pay for all 4 accounts(my family plays), since I like to get the most out of any game I play, and want to help pay for future expansions(hehe, if I were rich I'd be investing a lot more since I plan to be in this game until they shut the doors, which I hope doesn't happen for at least a decade).

I know MANY are against this, don't fret...most who run ops, fp's, and even warzone premades ask for people with the proper armor and stats, so anyone without won't be a part of that group anyways. Mind you most of the games that suck and are F2P sucked long BEFORE they went there, and never got better. I personally liked Age of Conan better, and STO(and I'm a lifer there and happy, although I love this game more then any I have played since back in the days of EQ, and almost as much as I loved SWG pre CU/NGE). So be patient if you love the game, in another year we will probably have so much new content it'll drive us mad(unless you play more then you work, eat, or sleep, but then I feel for you:P
Sanguinem Genus - Warning...This guild is NOT for the weak. We are located on The Ebon Hawk.

Master-Nala
07.31.2012 , 04:16 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Tylerlee View Post
I think you need to realise 90% of the items in the cash shop are going to be aimed at getting the F2P players to spend cash on boosts.
So?

Quote:
Someone like myself who has multiple level 50s and does not need/want to level another character only has Operations and a few more WZs to look forward to, how is that worth $15 a month?
It may not be worth $15. YOU need to realize, that the game offering a non-sub option only gives you choices. If you do not feel it's worth subbing anymore, then stop your sub. You can still play and log in. You can buy what you choose in the Cartel Market or don't at your election.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni & Hard-Top
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thofia

Choloe
07.31.2012 , 04:17 PM | #39
My only problem is BioWare once again showing it's "Empire Bias" by making all the rewards "Sith" rewards... Where is the Jedi Master's chair? Where are robes that make us look like Jedi and not homeless Egyptian hobo's?? :/
"Only a Sith thinks of the Force in terms of power, a Jedi listens and feels the Force to achieve harmony with the Galaxy, and complete control and mastery of the Force." - Ancient Jedi Master A'ahrun Chengon

Otembe
07.31.2012 , 04:18 PM | #40
Anyone who is quitting over this: If you need someone to send your stuff to before you head out the door, I am here for you.