Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

World Bosses and server firsts


Hextor's Avatar


Hextor
12.18.2011 , 10:45 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
So my guild took out Grandfather and The First today in the hopes of achieving server firsts, however, the game offers no way of knowing if that was achieved or not. Most games have a server announcement or an achievement for getting server first, but this one has neither. Even without those things we still thought we had server first because world bosses traditionally take at least a couple of days to respawn. However, a mere two hours later I returned only to find that grandfather was alive and kicking, leaving us with no idea if we were server first or not.

It's possible his respawn was a bug, and if so, consider this a bug report. However, I still feel SWTOR would be benefited by both a server-wide announcement and an achievement for killing the world boss first.

I know all of this sounds very negative (and I suppose it is) but let me add here that this is a minor flaw in a great game that I have been enjoying greatly thus far, and expect to enjoy greatly far into the future.
This was done as soon as the boss was up and there was 8 people to kill it, unless you did it on the first or second day of EGA or a fresh server then your very likely not first. The world bosses spawn again after 90 minutes or so and every time a fresh instance opens up the world boss is up on there too.
It is also not much of an accomplishment truth be told to kill a world boss because its basically a heroic quest for 8+ people of the beasts level. Your placing a level of importance and difficulty on them that is undeserved.
Most people would get annoyed if they kept getting server announcments about kills on world bosses too. Why would anyone want to see spam messages saying "Randomguild6 has killed DerpyWorldBoss4" all day long? Most people don't care about what your doing, and the ones that do know where to find you.

LeSamourai's Avatar


LeSamourai
12.18.2011 , 11:43 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
@Loyaltrekie

1) Yeah. That's what I said. Read better.
2) What does this matter?
3) Based on what evidence? If you could know this then you and wouldn't be having this discussion
4) Being first to do something is an accomplishment in and of itself. Like I said to Evilthug, it's not a pride or bragging issue - it's just for the fun of competition. But if we can't know then there's no competition. And besides, even if only 2% care, as you said, that's still no reason not to have this implemented. It doesn't hurt the 98%, so no one loses.
#3: I was there when it happened on both sides on my server. All of the stuff up to ~30 was cleared within a couple days of prerelease
meh, I just want to play SWTOR

CKNairb's Avatar


CKNairb
12.18.2011 , 11:56 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
@Loyaltrekie

4) Being first to do something is an accomplishment in and of itself. Like I said to Evilthug, it's not a pride or bragging issue .
it is a bragging issue, so ****. OOOOOO AHHHHHH you can hit keys on the keyboard, thats just awsome, you should try out for the olympics.

the ONLY reason is bragging, not competition. if it was for competition the guilds internally would be updated on the other competiting guilds status. not forcing the whole server to compete. and you wouldnt have given a rats a** about server achevement.
Blighton
Sith Assassin

Unaki's Avatar


Unaki
12.18.2011 , 12:05 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by CKNairb View Post
it is a bragging issue, so ****. OOOOOO AHHHHHH you can hit keys on the keyboard, thats just awsome, you should try out for the olympics.

the ONLY reason is bragging, not competition. if it was for competition the guilds internally would be updated on the other competiting guilds status. not forcing the whole server to compete. and you wouldnt have given a rats a** about server achevement.
I know Im not going to change your mind with this post but when the hell are you going to accept that raid guilds and individuals like this competition?
JAWA PUNTERS
Corellian Run <Republic> Raiding Guild
Official Site - Recruitment

CKNairb's Avatar


CKNairb
12.18.2011 , 12:25 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Unaki View Post
I know Im not going to change your mind with this post but when the hell are you going to accept that raid guilds and individuals like this competition?
i know they like the competition, and its up to them if they do.

but keep it internal. the NFL doesnt require every human to play or watch the game. everybody in a country isnt required to be part of the olympics.

i have no problem if people want to compete, if they want to feel special cause they can move a mouse and tap keys faster then somebody else so be it.

i got a problem when people's start gloating over soembody else, which is the sole reason for a server broadcast of Server/World/Class firsts.
Blighton
Sith Assassin

SithlordXanatos's Avatar


SithlordXanatos
12.18.2011 , 12:53 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by CKNairb View Post
i know they like the competition, and its up to them if they do.

but keep it internal. the NFL doesnt require every human to play or watch the game. everybody in a country isnt required to be part of the olympics.

i have no problem if people want to compete, if they want to feel special cause they can move a mouse and tap keys faster then somebody else so be it.

i got a problem when people's start gloating over soembody else, which is the sole reason for a server broadcast of Server/World/Class firsts.
Your argument/stance does not warrant any logic. You would post stuff that you cared about. People post their art creation, their stories, their fan fiction, their guild advertisements, their guild videos, their guides, etc! All of this is in the same category as posting that you as a guild were the first to defeat a boss. Gloating is not stating factual information. Let me give you an example since some of you guys can't decipher such an easy concept.

First let me crush some of your illogical statements. You say to keep it internal, yet you use the NFL as an example!!!! You literally lost me here in laughter. The NFL is displayed on television. It has crowds of people. What you are telling this OP to do is not even post and keep in inside his guild. No, IT IS YOUR CHOICE TO COME ONTO HIS THREAD. There is no message popping up saying "To continue, you must read this thread". You are choosing to come into this. He is not forcing it upon you.

Now for some definition lessons:

Gloating
Definition: Contemplate or dwell on one's own success or another's misfortune with malignant pleasure: "his enemies gloated over his death".
Example: "We were the first to kill SD-0!!!!! We are the best. We beat the rest of all of you. You must not be that good.

KEY PART: In the defintion it says "dwell". In order for it to be gloating, they would continually need to rub this in.

Achievement
Definition: A thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.
Example: Our guild defeated at SD-0 around 12:20 EST on the first day of early access. It was a fun achievement, and we are proud of it, and we have a right to state that on the forums, which has people posting what they are proud of (their art, stories, roleplaying) on it as well.

Now, never do I say gloating is always a bad thing, you could often say that anyone who knows they are better at someone at anything and talking about it could be gloating. However, you are just biased in this matter and are in fact trolling/flaming other people's threads.

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THIS.

You are 100 percent wrong if you say otherwise, because the OP himself obviously cares, so that alone ruins your statement. I will say this, with all of the hype and high-end guilds, there are MANY that care about such things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with stating it.

I will tell you what you can do. Not waste your time flaming others about stuff they care about. You may do this for numerous reasons, but the fact of the matter is, you are in the wrong.

As for does this count? Of course it does! There are 3 hour queues on servers already and you act like they had an unfair start? I'm sorry, but the official game was available as of 12/13/11.

Everything isn't being removed. This the real deal. I don't see how you can argue against this, unless you are of the belief that everything should be wiped on the 20th. If that is the case, argue that!

--------------


The way you talk is a form of gloating in itself. You are saying that your way is better than his. How about we all respect each other and HONOR their achievement.

Perhaps, in return, you might deserve honoring of what you are proud to accomplish.

So to end this, congratulations on defeating these bosses (it may not have been the first as guilds did a lot on the first day of EA, but good job) and continue to be proud (not cocky) of things that you wish to accomplish.

TLDR version: Do not flame or troll someone else, when it was your choice to come onto "his" thread, and congratulations on your boss kills.
"The enlightened ruler is heedful, and the good general full of caution."
::: ::: Xanetos ::: PvP Sergeant ::: :::
::: ::: Eternal Vigilance ::: Recruitment Thread ::: :::
::: ::: Jedi Sage ::: :::

Jxspyder's Avatar


Jxspyder
12.18.2011 , 01:15 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
@Loyaltrekie

1) Yeah. That's what I said. Read better.
2) What does this matter?
3) Based on what evidence? If you could know this then you and wouldn't be having this discussion
4) Being first to do something is an accomplishment in and of itself. Like I said to Evilthug, it's not a pride or bragging issue - it's just for the fun of competition. But if we can't know then there's no competition. And besides, even if only 2% care, as you said, that's still no reason not to have this implemented. It doesn't hurt the 98%, so no one loses.
It's absolutely a pride and bragging issue. Otherwise you wouldn't need a server announcement and would be happy with the fact that you downed a world boss.
Quote: Originally Posted by Shortwave View Post
McDonalds sells more burgers than The Cheesecake Factory - therefore McDonalds makes the better burger.

BassDeluxe's Avatar


BassDeluxe
12.18.2011 , 01:26 PM | #18
I don't have time to respond to everyone, and even if I did, SithlordXanatos has pretty much covered the bases (thanks dude, couldn't have said it better myself), but let me say this as there seems to be some confusion over my OP, which is definitely my fault for bad wording. First of all, I never said that server announcements are the best way to go. I prefer achievements personally. I was merely using it as an example, because to me, having a server announcement is better than not knowing. That being said, I prefer solely achievements.

Secondly, I grant you that many people killed these bosses early on, and that doing so is not really much of an achievement as they weren't very tough, however, my worry lies in the possibility that operations won't tell you if you got server first. And that, to me, is going to diminish the excitement of doing these things.

Also, let me add that the only reason we thought we might have been server first is because we're on one of the smaller servers. Not many guild are even big enough to do a sixteen man operation, and those that are are very few. Again, I recognize that downing these bosses is not so impressive, so let's get off that and discuss the points that matter.

Thradar's Avatar


Thradar
12.19.2011 , 10:42 AM | #19
World firsts in a video game.

LAWL

I'm still waiting for world first for the following:

Cure for the common cold
Cure for cancer
Cure for AIDS
etc

ShockDevil's Avatar


ShockDevil
12.19.2011 , 10:54 AM | #20
I really don't know why there are any more posts after Xanatos's just re-read that take it and go to another thread.
Look at your character, now back at mine, now back at yours, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped rerolling new classes, yours could play like mine...