Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

BlznSmri
07.31.2012 , 01:55 PM | #1
The Sentinel Advanced Class is a Pure DPS Melee class with varying degrees of Operations utility depending on the spec. The Watchmen tree brings extra interrupts and a raid wide 6% heal about every 30 seconds if managed well and the Combat tree provides more spontaneous burst and increased Ops wide movement speed from the Transcendence Predation buff.

Unique Sentinel Mechanic:
What separates Sentinels from Shadows and Guardians (aside from the fact that Sentinels can't tank) is Centering which is built up by using abilities that spend Focus. At 30 stacks of Centering the abilities Zen, Transcendence and Inspiration become available and are your main raid utility abilities. Zen should be used nearly all the time because of how it affects each spec. Inspiration should be used at your raid leader's discretion, however it it most often used at the beginning of the fight (or shortly thereafter) for the possibility of being used later in the fight. Transcendence is mostly a Defensive/ Mobility skill that shines in PvP but has several uses during boss fights were mobility is key.

Watchmen:
Spoiler

Combat:
Spoiler

Defensive Cooldowns/ Abilities:
Spoiler

Additional Rating Information
Spoiler

A few gearing and modification tips.

Armorings/ Hilts: Always go for the Strength heavy armorings and hilts. Always.

Mods: When looking to increase your overall damage the mods you should use are the Deft Mods (just plain 25, 26 and 27) and the Potent mods.

Enhancements: Each enhancement should be the 27 End/ 41 Rating A/ 57 Rating B and their counterparts depending on which of the Secondary stats you're working on.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that if your mods have more Endurance than Strength or Secondary Stats you're wrong and should feel bad.

In the Event that Torhead's talent calc is bugged, here are the links to the builds I've posted from another calc.

Watchmen:
31/3/7
31/7/0 + 3

Combat:
5/31/2 + 3
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

Xiij
07.31.2012 , 02:52 PM | #2
Thanks. We've been missing a decent PvE guide.

*Edit*: Also, I don't think anyone is going to razz you about not having a Focus section, since Focus is almost exclusively PvP currently.

**Edit**:
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
Also as a general rule of thumb, when it comes to augments always stack Strength over Power because while Power does increase damage more-so than Strength the difference is marginal (like .23 > .2 per point from what I've read) and Strength increases Critical chance as well, meaning you have more room on your gear for Power Mods and Enhancements.
From the theorycrafting articles that I've read that is true. Strength gives ~.20 and Power gives ~.23 (both of those are rounded to the nearest .00). As you said, Strength also adds to Critical Chance (linearly instead of logarithmic [diminishing returns], I believe). The even bigger bonus which you didn't mention is that the bonus to strength is "double buffed." With both Force Might and Force Valor, Strength actually provides a larger average damage (which includes critical chance) than Power for any attack with a large damage Coefficient (basically all attacks with the exception of strike). Note: If I find the article again I'll link it.

Varinm
07.31.2012 , 03:01 PM | #3

Xiij
07.31.2012 , 03:09 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Varinm View Post
/agree
+1

ArchangelLBC
07.31.2012 , 03:14 PM | #5
As a fresh sentinel this is really good to see. Any recommendations on which spec to use for leveling?
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

BlznSmri
07.31.2012 , 03:34 PM | #6
I leveled as Combat and while I was able to burst down targets fairly quickly I find Watchmen having to use their OOC heals less. Either one will work well though so it's up to you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
\From the theorycrafting articles that I've read that is true. Strength gives ~.20 and Power gives ~.23 (both of those are rounded to the nearest .00). As you said, Strength also adds to Critical Chance (linearly instead of logarithmic [diminishing returns], I believe). The even bigger bonus which you didn't mention is that the bonus to strength is "double buffed." With both Force Might and Force Valor, Strength actually provides a larger average damage (which includes critical chance) than Power for any attack with a large damage Coefficient (basically all attacks with the exception of strike). Note: If I find the article again I'll link it.
That's actually great to see, if you do find the link let me know and I'll include it on the post.
APOSTATES

LagunaD
08.01.2012 , 01:48 AM | #7
I think your recommended Critical Rating of 350 is too high. I have calculated exact stat weights for every ability, and in BH/Campaign rating gear, the optimum value of Critical Rating appears to be more like 150-175 (this is with about 1950 Strength and 800 Power, unbuffed). Both Combat and Watchman have talents that cause key abilities to proc autocrits; when significant amounts of the spec's damage comes from auto-crit procs, that tends to favor Power over Critical Rating. If I were to follow your suggestion and increase my Critical Rating by 175-200 points by trading Power, my average damage would go down by almost 1%.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

BlznSmri
08.01.2012 , 04:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LagunaD View Post
I think your recommended Critical Rating of 350 is too high. I have calculated exact stat weights for every ability, and in BH/Campaign rating gear, the optimum value of Critical Rating appears to be more like 150-175 (this is with about 1950 Strength and 800 Power, unbuffed). Both Combat and Watchman have talents that cause key abilities to proc autocrits; when significant amounts of the spec's damage comes from auto-crit procs, that tends to favor Power over Critical Rating. If I were to follow your suggestion and increase my Critical Rating by 175-200 points by trading Power, my average damage would go down by almost 1%.
I'll change that, really what you want to shoot for is around 30% crit from Rating and Strength, around 35% with the Smuggler buff, and I haven't actually looked at ratings since I made a stat-weights thread (on my guild forums) back in like... May...
APOSTATES

Xiij
08.01.2012 , 08:22 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LagunaD View Post
I'd have to agree. I've been debating with other Sentinels in my guild about this, but the thing we often forget to take into account is when you use your relics it adds critical rating, surge rating or power rating (assuming you use the active ones); and if you already have 350 CR then you activate your relic, most of the "benefit" of the relic is lost to diminishing returns. In addition, LagunaD makes a solid point about auto crits. Both specs have auto crits and CR points are essentially wasted at that point, better to spend them in SR or PR.

BlznSmri
08.01.2012 , 12:09 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
I'd have to agree. I've been debating with other Sentinels in my guild about this, but the thing we often forget to take into account is when you use your relics it adds critical rating, surge rating or power rating (assuming you use the active ones); and if you already have 350 CR then you activate your relic, most of the "benefit" of the relic is lost to diminishing returns. In addition, LagunaD makes a solid point about auto crits. Both specs have auto crits and CR points are essentially wasted at that point, better to spend them in SR or PR.
Crit and Surge "On Use" relics are a waste because of how easy it is to hit 30% Crit and 75% surge, you're pretty much better off to just use the BM/ WH Power relic with the On Use Power relic, getting all your Crit and Surge from Gear.

And while both specs have Talents that Auto-crit certain abilities, but there are only 3 abilities that auto-crit (Cauterize and Overload Saber burns with Zen, Blade Storm with Combat Trance) and they aren't "Auto-Crittable" often enough to make up for the impossible amount of power you would otherwise have to stack to counter the loss of dps from not having 30% crit chance unbufffed.
APOSTATES