Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

nVidia Mobility Cards = 5 fps

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
nVidia Mobility Cards = 5 fps

EricAtreyu
12.18.2011 , 11:09 PM | #1
So, I'm trying to play the game with my Asus gaming laptop and I'm getting about 5fps :-( I'm having trouble understanding the various nVidia cards out there and am looking for help. Are others seeing this issue as well?

My card is an nVidia GeForce 9700M GT. I believe that the desktop equivalent is a 9500 GT
(source: http://************/7bth8t3)

The minimum specs to play the game is an nVidia 7800. Here's how the 7800 compares to the 9500 (source: http://************/2vz56mw))

GeForce 7800 GT
Core Clock: 400 Mhz Memory Clock: 1 GHz
Memory Interface: 256-bit Memory Transfer Rate: 32 GB/s
Pixels/Clock: 20 DirectX: 9.0c

GeForce 9500 GT
Core Clock: 500 Mhz Memory Clock: 1 GHz
Memory Interface: 128-bit Memory Transfer Rate: 16 GB/s
Pixels/Clock: 32 DirectX: 10

I can see where the 9500 is better than the 7800, but it also seems that there are specs where the 7800 is better. Can anyone explain which is the better card over all? Really, is there something I can do to make my GeForce 9700M GT run the game at something higher than 5 FPS???

Here is my full dxdiag:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9700M GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_064A&SUBSYS_19A21043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2289 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um, nvwgf2umx.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7580 (English)
DDI Version: 10
BGRA Supported: Yes

EricAtreyu
12.18.2011 , 11:11 PM | #2
Hmm... I'm not sure why my links didn't post correctly... Here they are again:
Laptop Video Card Desktop Equivalence: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/59782.aspx

Nvidia Card Chip Comparisons:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/NVIDIA-Chips-Comparison-Table/132

YaiiE
12.18.2011 , 11:14 PM | #3
Are you playing on an Asus G50v (ish) laptop? I think you have the same computer I use to have.

Do you have a dual core processor? How much Ram?

If you have the PC I think you have... Around about dual core 2.13 ghz and only 4 gig ddr2... Would explain your low FPS

Try shutting off shadows! And messing around with the graphics settings.

EricAtreyu
12.19.2011 , 09:31 AM | #4
Yes, that's exactly what I'm running! You got the specs right as well. It's an Asus G50v. It has 4gigs of RAM and a dual core that's around 2.113 GHz.

I was worried about these specs as well, but the minimum spec requirements are listed as 2 gigs of RAM with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better.

I think I meet those minimum system requirements, but the game runs like *** on my machine...

BlownSi
12.19.2011 , 09:53 AM | #5
I had issues during testing with my Gateway FX laptop. It had a Core2 Duo at 2.66GHz, 1GB 9800M GTS, 8GB DDR3 RAM. From looking at the specs, I should have had no issues running with shadows off and such, but that was not the case. It was horrible anywhere people were fighting and was almost unplayable.

I built a new desktop two weeks ago; Core i5-2400, 8 GB DDR3, 1GB GTX 550 Ti, and a 120GB SSD. Now everything on high I average around 45-60 FPS and in low pop areas up to 70-90.

I think that maybe heat had a part to play with the laptop, as my HDD and vid card would get just scorching, to the point I could not have it in my lap. I really do think that maybe BW needs to re-adjust its listing of minimum requirements.
Harmeggido - J'anin - Zophie - Kaase
DaMG - The Shadowlands

Sykomyke
12.19.2011 , 10:20 AM | #6
There's an old adage I use (as a joke with a grain of truth in it) with my coworkers and we all laugh about it when the situation comes up from time to time:

When you use minimum requirements, expect minimum results.

A 9500 video card is not only an older generation card, but is barely on the cusp of gaming. (Hence why it is minimum spec) If you want higher framerate, pony up for a newer card/newer PC.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

EricAtreyu
12.19.2011 , 10:44 AM | #7
Yep, I agree. It looks like my rig is just a tiny notch above minimum specs. I knew that going in and would've been happy if I got about 30fps, but 5fps is just unbearable.

I thought maybe the definition of "minimum spec" would translate to about 30fps. Didn't know that that meant "the game will load, but you'll be able to draw frames on paper faster than your machine can draw them on the screen."

EricAtreyu
12.19.2011 , 10:44 AM | #8
Time to buy a new machine!

Syrellaris
12.19.2011 , 10:47 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
There's an old adage I use (as a joke with a grain of truth in it) with my coworkers and we all laugh about it when the situation comes up from time to time:

When you use minimum requirements, expect minimum results.

A 9500 video card is not only an older generation card, but is barely on the cusp of gaming. (Hence why it is minimum spec) If you want higher framerate, pony up for a newer card/newer PC.
I believe the game just does not use the laptops systems well at all. It could use a lot more optimizing. A simple 9600M GT and specially a 9800M GT should run this game great, but it doesnt.
Syrel Je'Gal
▬▬▬▬▬
HandsofDarkness▬▬▬▬▬
"Capture By Design, Kill By Necessity."
The Hands of Darkness: the first SW:TOR EU based Sith RP Guild

MissBegotten
12.19.2011 , 10:51 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by EricAtreyu View Post
Time to buy a new machine!
Thank you for this thread.

I have been wondering if my crappy isp connection is the problem, or if my rig is. I am now leaning toward my rig needing a replacement, which is on my list for santa to help out with. I won't post the specs, but I can feel now that it is why I am having problems in high pop areas or in some zones that just have a lot of stuff going on (like the tablet rooms on Korriban).

Can't run instances or group with ppl since things just bog down.

The problems you are having are the same as mine, and the very polite and knowledgeable replies (thank you for being this way) are finally making the pieces fall into place.

Again, I hope the community here takes on this approach when dealing with the people that are having problems instead of the atypical lame responses that are more frequent in that 'other' game.