Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

Eternalnight
07.28.2012 , 04:28 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by DotFreelance View Post
Original in that it's the original pancake. It's not panck.
Another thing altogether, but names like panck can be a problem in that they may limit the ways you may get invited to groups.

Raid group is being formed. Raid leader asks the other group members if they have friends/guildies who could join. One of them has one and he asks the raid leader to invite panck.
Raid leader starts to type:
/invite [character name]
Oh, but the raid leader does not know how to type or on his keyboard.
So you don't get an invite.

Even if they did find a way around it, that is still extra unnecessary inconvenience for them all.

Don't use umlauts in your name.

DotFreelance
07.28.2012 , 04:35 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
Another thing altogether, but names like panck can be a problem in that they may limit the ways you may get invited to groups.

Raid group is being formed. Raid leader asks the other group members if they have friends/guildies who could join. One of them has one and he asks the raid leader to invite panck.
Raid leader starts to type:
/invite [character name]
Oh, but the raid leader does not know how to type or on his keyboard.
So you don't get an invite.

Even if they did find a way around it, that is still extra unnecessary inconvenience for them all.

Don't use umlauts in your name.
Beautiful reasoning, of course. Most people get around this by having the person with the modified characters whisper the leader... however it's an inconvenience in general and really only makes the person using the characters look like a newbie.

Uggen
07.29.2012 , 02:36 AM | #73
My main character's name is Uggen, so i named my smuggler Ugg'solo. I never thought this could offend anyone until i read this post. This is however at a pvp server.

DarthScruffy
07.29.2012 , 03:00 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidrea View Post
There doesn't seem to be much of a name filter in place. Maybe I notice more because I learned to read phonetically.

You can report a name, and CS will apologize if you're distressed, but I see people at level 40-50 with offensive names, and it's hard to believe that no one has complained about it before.

I really think a name filter ought to catch the substitution of "Ph" for "F" in a certain word.
Are lots of people opting for "dephenestrator"?

DotFreelance
07.30.2012 , 02:03 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Uggen View Post
My main character's name is Uggen, so i named my smuggler Ugg'solo. I never thought this could offend anyone until i read this post. This is however at a pvp server.
I don't think it would, really. It's pretty clever. :P