Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arsenal Mercenary Guide: 1.3 Updated!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Arsenal Mercenary Guide: 1.3 Updated!

POSOINU
07.29.2012 , 09:08 PM | #21
Logs please

Makkoo
07.29.2012 , 09:18 PM | #22
please stop fighting and go back to constructive posts. This is getting out of hand and starting to be boring.
Daeriuz / Wartsalker / Marauder
PAX FATALIS Officer
The Harbinger Empire

cortea
07.29.2012 , 09:49 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerro View Post
This is getting out of hand. If you're wasting your time with Fusion Missile you're doing it wrong. If you want to use FM, you do not use Power Surge with it. You go into a TSO+FM then afterwards, a Power Surge+Tracer Missile and most likely Unload since it nearly procs everytime after that.

Don't just accuse me of being wrong and linking SimCraft as if it is the end all be all.
A few points of clarification.

1) (i expanded this after reading some of your posts on the issue) Fusion Missile is by far the best damage when heat is not considered so using it with TSO is far better than say HSM or anything else. The only time you would use TSO on something else is if the target will die or otherwise negate the 6 second duration. Your claim that if one is using fusion missile they are doing it wrong, is wrong. I suspect the reason you have reached the wrong conclusion there is you compare DPH, when the whole point of TSO is it takes H out of the equation. But even if you use DPE or DPET you're calculating it wrong.

Here's why. Because you will use HSM on cooldown regardless, you need to compare the damage difference between FM and rapidshots, versus the damage difference between tracer missile and rapid shots. Crazy, isn't it?

I can even demonstrate this clearly in the sim. If I set HSM to hit for 10k and crit for 20k, it's still better to use TSO on fusion missile. Why? Because using it on HSM won't increase the HSM count in that fight. It effectively just lets another TM be used instead of rapidshots. But using it on FM adds a FM into the fight where there otherwise would have been a rapidshots.

2) using Power Surge on Tracer Missile is a dps loss. Given you have points in System Calibrations and are guaranteed to have a cast time of 1.4x seconds casting it will allow you to use your next ability 1.4x seconds later, versus 1.5s if you use Power Surge and make it instant since the GCD triggered by instants is not reduced by alacrity.

3) Barrage is no more likely to proc from TSO+FM PS+TM than it is from any other TM. It certainly doesn't "nearly always" proc after that. Talented it remains 45%, which is "usually not" if we're translating to general terms.

4) I agree with you, that throwing out a sim link with no argument is not a very useful contribution. But you may also want to weigh that you have thrown out numbers without any evidence. In comparison, the sim provides mountainous evidence for it's conclusions which anyone is free to assess review and confirm for themselves. and in fact it has been constantly reviewed by leaders in the swtor theory community. In comparison, we can't review your numbers because you supply no evidence.

5) Your suggestion to only use rail shot on 5 stacks, only use HSM on 5 stacks and only use unload on barrage procs is demonstrably wrong. They should be used on cooldown, as even without their bonuses they do more damage than tracer missile which is the alternative. The question then comes down to is the dps difference worth delaying getting their cooldown ticking, and the answer is no. That is even more evident with unload given a barrage proc resets the cooldown. Points like these that increase dps while decreasing complexity are worth paying attention to.

Of course, all of those are relatively minor points and the guide is otherwise very useful and will get people performing near maximum, and these points are more the difference between first and second place in the olympics, rather than the difference between first and not qualifying. It's a great addition to the merc community. Bravo.

DarkForster
07.29.2012 , 09:54 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by POSOINU View Post
This kid doesnt post logs cause hes a mediocre merc at best, his guide is standard and good for upcoming mercs but if this kid tricks you into thinking he's in the top 5 you've been dooped.
So enlighten us, what gear selections and/or rotation/abilities are wrong?

POSOINU
07.29.2012 , 10:13 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkForster View Post
So enlighten us, what gear selections and/or rotation/abilities are wrong?
i said its good for starting mercs and it is the basic rotation is there.

The secret to playing this class well is figure out position tricks and aoe secrets like flamethrower VS Sweeping
or figuring out how much unload you can use before running out of red circles

DarkForster
07.29.2012 , 10:22 PM | #26
None of that can be put in a post/guide.

That's pure player skill and understanding each fights mechanics.

Aerro
07.29.2012 , 10:23 PM | #27

The secret to playing this class well is figure out position tricks and aoe secrets like flamethrower VS Sweeping
I am full BiS.

I have logs of me doing 1800-1900 DPS on fights such as HM Zorn and Toth and HM Firebrand/Stormcaller.

If I am wrong, please correct me in a well conducted manner.

As for the well written response a few posts up: I will clarify a few things that may have been misinterpreted due to my inability to coherently write appropriately occasionally.

The TSO+Fusion Missile does put out the most damage. When I was saying "situational", I meant sometimes when movement is high and based on cooldown availability, TSO+HSM is more viability. Like I said, some things are pure situational.

About the "HSM and Rail Shot only at 5 stacks", I say that because rarely ever will you see your stacks drop off of the boss. If you're in a boss encounter, you will nearly always have 5 stacks on the boss, and if you're not dead you will always have 5 stacks of Tracer Lock every 15sec.

My guide was meant for those who are trying to succeed. I'm sure there are a few changes I need to make- thats why I openly posted this trying to get fixes for things I misunderstood or completely forgot.

I do use Fusion Missile with TSO and that is not written in my guide. Mostly because I literally copied over my guide I made 6 months ago.
Arsenal DPS Guide
One of the leading Mercenaries in a World Progression Guild.

cortea
07.29.2012 , 10:30 PM | #28

Where can we read this advanced guide of yours?

cortea
07.29.2012 , 10:41 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerro View Post
The TSO+Fusion Missile does put out the most damage. When I was saying "situational", I meant sometimes when movement is high and based on cooldown availability, TSO+HSM is more viability. Like I said, some things are pure situational.
Sure agreed. I'll also use TSO on HSM sometimes when moving. Sometimes I'll use TSO/PS/FM but again it's situatoinal as in many fights PS is already used for repositioning that can't be done inside the usual HSM/RS breaks.

Quote:
My guide was meant for those who are trying to succeed. I'm sure there are a few changes I need to make- thats why I openly posted this trying to get fixes for things I misunderstood or completely forgot.
Yep. It's easy to sit back and nitpick as I have. The hard work is creating the guides in the first place and getting the eyeballs on it that you have. And of course once you do that everyone hits you with questions and requests for personalised advice. Good luck with that

Aerro
07.29.2012 , 10:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by cortea View Post
Sure agreed. I'll also use TSO on HSM sometimes when moving. Sometimes I'll use TSO/PS/FM but again it's situatoinal as in many fights PS is already used for repositioning that can't be done inside the usual HSM/RS breaks.
I thought of giving examples, but some examples I had were things that only happened once! As much as "online dragon slaying" is repetitive, sometimes RNG and situations throw you a curveball. I didn't want to list everything that has happened to me because it would be way too drawn out, boring and prone to errors.

Quote:
Yep. It's easy to sit back and nitpick as I have. The hard work is creating the guides in the first place and getting the eyeballs on it that you have. And of course once you do that everyone hits you with questions and requests for personalised advice. Good luck with that
I actually don't mind helping people. That is why I'm doing it! I noticed I have a lot of free time since I sit around Fleet when I'm on. I browse forums and read things, but helping others gives me something to do and its enjoyable. Unfortunately you have 'haters' where ever you go or whatever you do, but its part of the process.

Also, you should see my inbox My brother was here earlier and told me what I'm doing is almost like a second job and that I'm stupid for wasting my time. Hehe.
Arsenal DPS Guide
One of the leading Mercenaries in a World Progression Guild.