Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How do you avoid whinie newbs?


Wookiebreeder's Avatar


Wookiebreeder
07.28.2012 , 09:22 PM | #11
It's really interesting reading this. I have been discouraged lately with the way some people are acting when I use group finder. I am brand new to MMO. This is my first one and I have a level 42 DPS character. Sometimes I play and no one complains and we all get along fine. Lately though, I have had a few instances where I get voted out of the group. They don't complain before hand, and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Is this normal from time to time? How do people expect newbies to learn? I had no idea what a tank was, or what DPS meant a month ago, and I love the game, but a lot a players seem to be wound so tight it takes some fun out of it.

Berin-Tath's Avatar


Berin-Tath
07.28.2012 , 09:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wookiebreeder View Post
It's really interesting reading this. I have been discouraged lately with the way some people are acting when I use group finder. I am brand new to MMO. This is my first one and I have a level 42 DPS character. Sometimes I play and no one complains and we all get along fine. Lately though, I have had a few instances where I get voted out of the group. They don't complain before hand, and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Is this normal from time to time? How do people expect newbies to learn? I had no idea what a tank was, or what DPS meant a month ago, and I love the game, but a lot a players seem to be wound so tight it takes some fun out of it.
See, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Is there anything we can do about it, or do we just have to accept the fact that some people like to be randomly mean, especially to newbs?

I just wish there was a clear tip off so you could recognize the tight-wound-know-it-alls and the can't-play-but-talk-like-they-cans before you group with them. When I join groups, I admit that I don't usually know what I'm doing. It's just to bad that people don't do the same.

I know I have to accept these people as a fact of life, so I'm not complaining about them. I was just trying to figure out if the long time players knew how to get wise to the bad people before they actually do something.

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
07.28.2012 , 09:59 PM | #13
I don't group outside my guild so I don't have that problem.


There are nice people but unfortunely there are also people who are not so nice. The only solution I can suggest is if you group with someone and they act like this make a note of it and don't group with them again or find a guild that will run the flashpoints with you.

Good luck .
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

dsapp's Avatar


dsapp
07.28.2012 , 10:05 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Fossman View Post
The majority of players that are really impatient like that probably wont even make it to level 50. VERY occasionally I get someone like that and they immediately go on my ignore list so im never grouped with them again.
That's not really that true. Many, many players are like this. Not necessarily in just this game, but many MMOs.

OT : I got grouped up today in Battle of Ilum HM on my Op healer. As I've never run that FP before, when we got to the first boss, I asked, "What does this guy do?" I got no response and just a boss pull. At the end of the run, after all bosses die, only 3 overall deaths until the last boss (2 because the dps pulled mobs instead of the tank), with no wipes, one of the dps proceeded to tell me that I was one of the worst healers he's ever seen. The last boss enraged so I said, "Good job at letting the boss enrage". He told me to not be mad that I can't do my job and I responded, "Oh, I wasn't aware that the DPS' job was to let the boss enrage." He had no response for me. So, yes, jerks exist in this game. You just have to get over it and add them to your ignore list.

legionof's Avatar


legionof
07.29.2012 , 09:57 AM | #15
@ OP it is very difficult to get a sense of who you may be grouped with before you start a FP. However you can get some clue by how they respond in chat.
Say you put out a call for Hammer Station.
One person responds with "merc dps 17" this terse but informative person tends to be someone who has been around awhile likely playing an alt and therefore reasonably decent at the game.
Another responds with " Awesome heals here" Definite ego in this response the ego may or may not be deserved.
Yet another " im a level 16 Powertech can i come?" Enthusiasm and lack of abbreviations could mean a relatively young or new player.

While it is by no means perfect paying close attention to how and what a person says back to you can tell you something about them.

Wookiebreeder's Avatar


Wookiebreeder
07.29.2012 , 11:04 AM | #16
Oh well, there is not going to be any way to tell if someone is good at playing, or just a jerk. I expect to find know it all idiots in any type of sport or hobbie. I am surprised at the high level of concentration of these people in SWTOR, and probably all MMO games. I have run across nice people too. One refused to vote me out the other day and started sticking up for me. Not sure what I was doing wrong there either. We were successful with the FP so I don't see what the problem could be. I think it's more fun to just roll with whoever you get teamed with, as long as they are trying. Give pointers and communicate and work together . It is more like real life that way. I have a full time job, a wife ant two kids andI only get about an hour or so to play at night after the kids are sleeping. Playing is my escape from the real world, I would hate to be so wound that I get ticked off about a computer game that easy.

Hambunctious's Avatar


Hambunctious
07.29.2012 , 12:21 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Berin-Tath View Post
So, I'm new to TOR, and the whole concept of flashpoints/operations is a little new to me. I've only gone on two (I'm still pretty low-level) fps, and the first time (Black Talon) I go with somebody really nice. Next time around I join a full size group, but it turns out he's a major whiner, doesn't understand how to play bosses and the differences between damage, healing, and tanking, and ends up quiting in the middle of the boss-fight on Hammer Station, which messed everybody else up.

I've got a bad feeling that whinners and people who don't understand how to play are common problem. So, how can you tell who these people are before grouping with them?
First of all, there is no real tank at that level, neither is there any real healing. No one has the ability to tank at all until later.

All anyone should have to do is kill the normal trash, focus the elites, and stay out of the circles on the floor in BT/Esseles.

dsapp's Avatar


dsapp
07.29.2012 , 01:28 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Hambunctious View Post
First of all, there is no real tank at that level, neither is there any real healing. No one has the ability to tank at all until later.

All anyone should have to do is kill the normal trash, focus the elites, and stay out of the circles on the floor in BT/Esseles.
To be honest, any tank that's in Hammer Station should already have their taunts. At the BT level, no, but it's a 2 person FP. Hammer Station? Definitely need 4 and your tank should definitely already have taunts. If not, your tank probably isn't high enough level to handle that place anyway.

Berin-Tath's Avatar


Berin-Tath
07.29.2012 , 02:01 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by dsapp View Post
To be honest, any tank that's in Hammer Station should already have their taunts. At the BT level, no, but it's a 2 person FP. Hammer Station? Definitely need 4 and your tank should definitely already have taunts. If not, your tank probably isn't high enough level to handle that place anyway.
See, I just assumed that, if he says he's a tank, he knows if he's a tank, and can therefore handle Hammer Station. I just won't make that mistake again.

dsapp's Avatar


dsapp
07.29.2012 , 03:43 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Berin-Tath View Post
See, I just assumed that, if he says he's a tank, he knows if he's a tank, and can therefore handle Hammer Station. I just won't make that mistake again.
Truthfully, there's many people out there who are playing this MMO who have never seen an MMO before. If they don't know what they are but are willing to learn, it's worthwhile to teach. If they don't know what they are and all they're going to do is complain about it, ignore them and move on.