Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SM Denova difficulty

Catalan
07.27.2012 , 03:12 AM | #11
Would agree with everything mentioned above, but would add that although surviving the Mechanics is the defining aspect of EC, you still need dps on Kephess to kill the bombers quickly enough, because if you miss 2 it's a wipe.
Many Bothans died to bring you that information.

Eternalnight
07.27.2012 , 03:35 AM | #12
When I first started tanking EC with assassin, I had only columi armor for all armor pieces and the only rakata stuff was implants and earpiece from daily commendations vendor and artifice crafted relics, and no black hole or other higher tier stuff at all, and that was all fine.

And yes, EC storymode is harder than EV/KP hardmodes, but not that much more demanding for gear.

But I have noticed also that many people demand from random pugs that they don't know to have better gear than what could be the minimum requirement just to be on the safe side because they don't know how good that player is.

Now for the real question....

Would I have taken the OP in as tank if I had to pug someone from general chat to do Denova?
No, probably not.
But this is mainly because of the fact that he does not know the operation and does not know any tactics (which are at some fights even more demanding for tanks), and I have no way of knowing how good he is, and not so much because of his gear.

Now of course if it was mostly a guild run and everyone was on voice chat, we could teach even a new player how to do the fights there, but I would much rather do that with someone whom I have at least seen in action somewhere else first.

AshlaBoga
07.27.2012 , 04:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
EC is definitely much more demanding mechanically than EV. Story mode, however, is not at all a gear check.

What we have here is probably a group of players who lack the skill to clear SM EC and need to outgear it.
THIS.

Columi-Rakata mix is good enough for Story EC.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

The_Butler
07.27.2012 , 04:58 AM | #14
In my opinion EC Story is A LOT harder than both EV MH and KP HM.

All fights are mechanical harder than both Ops and I still find Boss 2 and Boss 4 provide good DPS checks.

That being said EC Story is definatley doable in Full Columi and better so in my opinion I would view your gear as above minimum for a Guild run. Most guilds are prepared to be patient and come back another day if you get stuck on a boss and don't mind helping people learn fights. Tanks in particular have to be on their toes a lot more than in other Ops.

However for a PUG run it would all depend on the rest of my group was made up. If I already knew I had some undergeared people in the group then I would know that I'd need an experienced and very well equipped tank then I'd have to make a judgement call and decide the likelihood of success. Obviously with an Op it may not jsut be about your gear but about the average gear of the whole Op.

aguilara
07.27.2012 , 06:45 AM | #15
There were probably 20 other tanks with better gear than you looking for a raid, so they replaced you. I'm not saying it was right, but that's what happened.

Sinemetu
07.27.2012 , 06:49 AM | #16
Thanks for all the replies. With buffs and my Rakata stim, w/o Dark Charge up, I'm at 22815 HP, 38.59% DR, 29.15% Defense, 33.49% Shield, and 38.21% Absorb. The BM pieces I have are MH weapon and relics.

I suspect some of y'all are right: he just wants to overgear the place in a pug. That's fair, I suppose, but I don't feel like getting to the point where I don't need any of the drops before I actually run it. Another pug I tried to get into told me they wanted someone with experience. Again, understandable, but there's a first time for everyone, right?
Legion: Geth do not infiltrate.
C-Sec Customs: You should leave your personal synthetic assistant at home. They're not allowed on shuttles anymore.
Legion: Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.

Leovinus
07.27.2012 , 06:50 AM | #17
From my experience, tanks take significantly more damage in story mode EC than in HM EV/KP. I don't know that that's unmanageable by a raid in full columi, but it is what it is. Thus, it is accurate to say that SM EC is harder than HM EV/KP, but it may be inaccurate to say you weren't in good enough gear. Doing SM EC to gear up to the rakata level is silly though, considering there are more and easier drops of the same level elsewhere. BH comms are really the only reason to do SM EC, and if you're just in it for those, you'll want to faceroll the place.

The_Butler
07.27.2012 , 06:55 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinemetu View Post
Thanks for all the replies. With buffs and my Rakata stim, w/o Dark Charge up, I'm at 22815 HP, 38.59% DR, 29.15% Defense, 33.49% Shield, and 38.21% Absorb. The BM pieces I have are MH weapon and relics.

I suspect some of y'all are right: he just wants to overgear the place in a pug. That's fair, I suppose, but I don't feel like getting to the point where I don't need any of the drops before I actually run it.
Don't forget that the main point of running EC Story is the 30 BH comms that drop for a successful raid and the BH piece that drops off the last boss.

I assume the rest drop Rakata in order to plug any holes in peoples gear.

Eternalnight
07.27.2012 , 06:59 AM | #19
I'm going to say again.

While I don't know their reasons were, if it was up to me, these things are not just about gear.

If I had to pug a random stranger to do Denova, I would not take a tank who has not done it before.

Mordeguy
07.27.2012 , 08:24 AM | #20
Op difficulties to me are like this...8man only since I doubt you'd pug for 16 often. From easiest to hardest.

EV SM - snore, can clear in recruit gear
KP SM - snore, few tionese and good to go
EV HM - snore, tionese and some 51 mods is all it takes
KP HM - slight challenge at lower gear levels, can be done relatively easy in tionese/columi mix
EV NMM - still easy for tanks and healers, dps should be in about half rakata for this to beat enrages
EC SM - as with EV NMM, it's more of a gear check for dps than tanks or healers, geared tank helps at keph
KP NMM - Not super hard, but KP in general can be a huge pain if you have a group that doesn't know what they are doing. You can get by this in a columi/rakata mix though
EC HM - be geared in at least rakata, BH helps.