Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"UNSCHEDULED" Maintenance...

randalthorr
07.26.2012 , 06:40 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Xzara_Jade View Post
i discovered this and i went and read a BOOK. this aint the be all end all of your life.
WOW!! Man that is fantastic.
“Equality is a chain, like obedience. Like fear or uncertainty or self doubt.”
-Darth Bane

Red-Zone Australia

Kaonis
07.26.2012 , 07:01 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Timtimbot View Post
lmao your silly. Ok let me paint you a picture.

So an exploit that grants items or crafting mats is found by players. They exploit it till bioware puts a stop to it immediately. games economy and daily lives continue.

Here's your picture. People find exploit, bioware does nothing for about a week. People get money, mats, and/or mats. Bioware puts a stop to the exploit and repremands anyone who was using it which with almost a week up is ALOT more people then 1 or 2 days. People flame, blame bioware for not shutting it down in time not themselves for continually exploiting.
Normally I would agree with everything you've said, as in a standard MMO it make perfect sense and would be a sensible argument. SWTOR is not a standard MMO or sensible though. Firstly the economy in the game is non-existent so an exploit like this hardly effects anything. Secondly Bioware has a track record of ignoring important issues until the tuesday maintence. Look back to Soa months ago when he was horribly broke and unbeatable, and every week Bioware released an update that claimed to have fixed it, that night guilds ran EV got to Soa and noted every bug stayed in place, Bioware then just tells us to wait till next patch day for their new fix rather then attempt a hot fix (or another patch that "totally works this time!").

Bioware has a history of waiting on game breaking bugs, so them waiting to fix an exploit that will hurt and economy that doesn't exist isn't a huge deal.

ScicleX
07.26.2012 , 12:06 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Xzara_Jade View Post
Gratz to bio for nipping this in the bud. And yes i was disappointed to not get on after work today, havent played in over a week, i discovered this and i went and read a BOOK. this aint the be all end all of your life.
I read Star Wars The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance by: Sean Williams. While also listening to Star Wars the Old Republic Collector's Edition CD Soundtrack OST. (Perfect Combo!)
Officer, CotP SWTOR PVE The Shadowlands Chapter
Membership Application - Covenant of the Phoenix - Chapter Forums
Republic: Sciclex - Le'sath - Alniyat - Shaula - Sargaz - Boo-boo'kitty
Empire: Ant-ares - Apøllyøn - Dschubba - Graffias

Urael
07.26.2012 , 12:09 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by StaticJoe View Post
1.3.4a Patch Notes
7/26/2012
General
Fixed an issue that could allow players to gain unearned items or crafting materials.

Absolutely nothing the game needed to be taken down for, this could have and should have waited until Tuesday
Agreed. But did we need yet another whine thread about maintenance ... this is what the 2nd or 3rd thread today whining about maintenance?

irishfino
07.26.2012 , 12:10 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Agreed. But did we need yet another whine thread about maintenance ... this is what the 2nd or 3rd thread today whining about maintenance?
If BioWare didn't want nine hundred thousand of these popping up everytime, they wouldn't lock the maintenance announcement threads.

I think they want the abuse. I think they like it.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

PainOfDemise
07.26.2012 , 12:11 PM | #16
It would be nice if someone posted an orginal post once in awhile.
The Tarvock Legacy

Arlbo_Nabbins
07.26.2012 , 12:11 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Grisle View Post
Not seeing how that requires 2 - 4hrs of downtime to implement.

I'd suggest using a hot fix to BW but given their track record of successful cold fixes it would probably end in disaster.
Because every single patch on a server needs 2 things. First a complete backup of the server just in case something bad happens and second a period of testing after the servers come back up to make sure everything is working correctly before they can open it to player logins. Those two phases take time.

Its also likely that they are applying server side performance tweaks to improve stability but they don't get put into the patch notes.

Urael
07.26.2012 , 12:12 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
If BioWare didn't want nine hundred thousand of these popping up everytime, they wouldn't lock the maintenance announcement threads.

I think they want the abuse. I think they like it.
It's the only thing that makes any sense at this point.

Gruug
07.26.2012 , 12:14 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by StaticJoe View Post
1.3.4a Patch Notes
7/26/2012
General
Fixed an issue that could allow players to gain unearned items or crafting materials.

Absolutely nothing the game needed to be taken down for, this could have and should have waited until Tuesday
Actually, it WAS something that needed to be done as it was an unintended exploitable bug. Those things are bad because it puts things into the game that were never intended. So yes, it was needed. Glad Bioware reacted so quickly to address it.

Give me an MMO that I can visit and have fun! Where what I pay for is not going to those that play for free.

Tuscad
07.26.2012 , 12:53 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
^^

I don't see an issue with them taking another night of maintenance to fix an exploit.. Good for them for promptly fixing an issue that can effect the economy..
erm... what economy?
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade