Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

eGraced
07.25.2012 , 06:45 AM | #61
I mostly agree with the majority of this thread. You will be judged by your name, maturity level of the name tends to reflect the player's maturity, and ripoff names are annoying.

Although I personally prefer names that seem like names, sometimes I have to appreciate the cleverness and sometimes dedication some players have to a joke or pun. For example, I saw "Brita Water the Pure." Although not a name and possibly a violation of the ToS, I had to appreciate the dedication to hit Light 5 and get the legacy Water just to complete a pun.
A witty saying proves nothing.
Voltaire

Scorpienne
07.25.2012 , 02:52 PM | #62
And on a PvE or PvP server, I'd grudgingly respect that. It's silly, and it sends a message, but I do appreciate the cleverness and dedication.

Having said that, I'm an RPer, and I far prefer RP names and being on RP servers, but that's just me. :-)

paige

Gidrea
07.25.2012 , 03:20 PM | #63
There doesn't seem to be much of a name filter in place. Maybe I notice more because I learned to read phonetically.

You can report a name, and CS will apologize if you're distressed, but I see people at level 40-50 with offensive names, and it's hard to believe that no one has complained about it before.

I really think a name filter ought to catch the substitution of "Ph" for "F" in a certain word.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Randava / Lexä / Procaffeincia - The Harbinger
Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you choose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

BIGChiefHuskey
07.27.2012 , 12:47 PM | #64
To be honest, before i read this thread, I was completely unaware that peoples names controlled their ability to play this game and/or find groups or guilds. I just never looked upon peoples names like that before, nor have i ever seen or heard of that. It seems completely unfair to judge the other players who's name is in question as being too "un-original" or explicit or silly. Maybe they are not trying to be stereotypical in their naming process, maybe it was accidental. My in game name is ChiefHuskey. This may seem un-original because chiefs have been around for thousands of years. But lets say I am that player who is accidentally un-original in his naming, I chose chief because I am in fact Native American, and I take pride in that. I chose Huskey because it is my last name. Add all this together and the name "ChiefHuskey" suddenly evolves from an bland, stereotypical and un-original name to a name of great meaning and personal enjoyment to myself within the game. I am not saying that all the "saladtossers" or "chubhunters" out there are victim to this treatment, I am simply saying that one should consider all players as equal regardless of name until proven otherwise.

GalaxyStrong
07.27.2012 , 01:05 PM | #65
I use this to create new names for characters on all my games.

http://www.namegenerator.biz/star-wa...-generator.php
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

Scorpienne
07.27.2012 , 02:36 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by BIGChiefHuskey View Post
To be honest, before i read this thread, I was completely unaware that peoples names controlled their ability to play this game and/or find groups or guilds. [snip]

I just never looked upon peoples names like that before, nor have i ever seen or heard of that. It seems completely unfair to judge the other players who's name is in question as being too "un-original" or explicit or silly. [snip]

I am simply saying that one should consider all players as equal regardless of name until proven otherwise.
You should respond to people's names in whatever way you feel is best, of course. I am in no way telling you what to do. You do things however it works for you.

It's my personal opinion that a person's name, particularly online, can be a way to get a sense of the person. There are lot of other people who feel that way, and I want to make sure folks are aware of this.

Have you ever seen this Far Side cartoon... "How nature says 'do not touch'"?

http://runningteamflash.com/wp-conte...-Not-Touch.jpg

Many people make judgements based on appearance (and name) in real life and online. We've learned to associate certain appearances, behaviors, and name types with certain sorts of experiences. We use our past experiences to try to make sense of what we see around us. Sometimes, this means that we get a wrong first impression, so the person has to win us over.

Is that unfair? Sure.

Is that going to stop me from forming first impressions? Not a bit.

In my personal opinion, it's just the way I see human society working, so I choose to adapt to it.

People choose their names online - so they should know that choice has consequences.

Paige

BIGChiefHuskey
07.27.2012 , 03:08 PM | #67
Interesting view on such a subject. The logic is sound, perhaps for real life. This is a video game, as I am certain you understand, and video games are meant to stretch the boundaries of real life beyond that of the meaningless gripes and toils and narrow views that make up our world and it's people. In our world, if someone named their kid "pancake", they would certainly not be well received by the others, and in theory they would certainly not prosper. But in a video game, one can become whatever they desire. there is no boundary between the people that separates them one from the other. Everyone paid 60 dollars, and everyone pays 15 a month, therefor the only boundaries that do exist are fictional ones that are crafted by ourselves with the intention of creating differences where they do not exist. (Note this does not include the obvious boundaries between levels and gear, this is strictly social)

Just my humble opinion

DotFreelance
07.27.2012 , 03:24 PM | #68
I think the whole of this isn't targeting names like "Pancake" or "Clownpants" or "Brita Water the Pure" because those are original names, kinda interesting and a little funny.

On a PvE/PvP server I would absolutely have no problem with those names... the most common tactic for naming on those servers is single words or short phrases.

I do however have a problem with people that attempt a name, don't get it and just put accented characters or x's in their name or whatever. I think it's lazy, unoriginal and reflects really poorly on the person playing.

Remember: In an online environment, your wit and ability to enter text is solely how you are being judged. We can't see you, hear you, and we know nothing about you. What you enter into that name box and into the chat is what we are using to judge you. If you aren't capable of originality and you type poorly, what makes us think you will do any better pressing the buttons necessary to be good at the game?

BIGChiefHuskey
07.27.2012 , 03:45 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by DotFreelance View Post
I think the whole of this isn't targeting names like "Pancake" or "Clownpants" or "Brita Water the Pure" because those are original names, kinda interesting and a little funny.

Remember: In an online environment, your wit and ability to enter text is solely how you are being judged. We can't see you, hear you, and we know nothing about you. What you enter into that name box and into the chat is what we are using to judge you. If you aren't capable of originality and you type poorly, what makes us think you will do any better pressing the buttons necessary to be good at the game?
You raise a good point. It is solely on how you type and communicate, not you're name! Also, despite the fact that "pancake" is interesting, it is most definitely not original.

DotFreelance
07.28.2012 , 12:48 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by BIGChiefHuskey View Post
You raise a good point. It is solely on how you type and communicate, not you're name! Also, despite the fact that "pancake" is interesting, it is most definitely not original.
Original in that it's the original pancake. It's not pancäkê. If someone tries a name and finds it's taken, how does it make sense to change the name to a variant? That just makes you look unoriginal and lame. Pick a new name that you can hold claim to.