Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much accuracy do I want?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
How much accuracy do I want?

stephenjohnp
07.23.2012 , 06:29 PM | #1
Currently I am picking and choosing between BH/Campaign gear to achieve the overall highest mean mitigation I can get on my Vanguard. To achieve this I often go for gear with She/Abs and She/Def etc, though I do however opt for Acc/Mitigation when I feel a particular stat is lacking.

Because of this approach however my accuracy as began to dip a bit. I am currently aiming to get Campaign Gloves and BH Boots/Helmet. The boot I believe have accuracy, but unfortunately the gear I'll be trading out for the Gloves and Helmet also have accuracy so while I'll gain a fair amount of mitigation, I will be losing some accuracy in the process.

Currently I sit at 97.67% and after this upgrade I'll have about 96.16% and then eventually when I get the Campaign mainhand I'll drop to 94.54%.

So I am starting to wonder how detrimental this is to my ability to build threat. So I am just wondering what is the ideal amount of accuracy to have?

Thanks.

Fallerup
07.23.2012 , 06:57 PM | #2
I would assume its at least over 100%

108% sounds about right, If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw that number somewhere. I have no idea about range tanking, so, I'm just guessing here.

you are welcome to correct my error if that is the case.
Gagota Class: Arsenal Mercenary
Member Of
Dark Brotherhood
Server: Tomb Of Freedon nadd EU

bbare
07.23.2012 , 09:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenjohnp View Post
Currently I am picking and choosing between BH/Campaign gear to achieve the overall highest mean mitigation I can get on my Vanguard. To achieve this I often go for gear with She/Abs and She/Def etc, though I do however opt for Acc/Mitigation when I feel a particular stat is lacking.

Because of this approach however my accuracy as began to dip a bit. I am currently aiming to get Campaign Gloves and BH Boots/Helmet. The boot I believe have accuracy, but unfortunately the gear I'll be trading out for the Gloves and Helmet also have accuracy so while I'll gain a fair amount of mitigation, I will be losing some accuracy in the process.

Currently I sit at 97.67% and after this upgrade I'll have about 96.16% and then eventually when I get the Campaign mainhand I'll drop to 94.54%.

So I am starting to wonder how detrimental this is to my ability to build threat. So I am just wondering what is the ideal amount of accuracy to have?

Thanks.
0 is the ideal amount of accuracy to have for a single-target fight. Since your rail shot is your most effective aoe threat generating ability, you will need at least 5% or so from accuracy. However, if there is an assassin tank in your group, he can probably do all of the aoe tanking you need. So, I'd go with 0 accuracy because accuracy is useless for single-target fights. You build up more than enough threat from your other abilities.

ImmortalAlien
07.24.2012 , 06:57 AM | #4
Considering that you come very close to the hard caps of what Defense, Shield Rating, and Absorb can add onto your defensive stats when grabbing Campaign/Black Hole gear, you should do this:
- Prioritize getting your defensive stats near their soft caps for your class
- Dump the rest in Accuracy or Power (Personally, I'd take power, but that's not in any good tanking pieces)

Accuracy for tanks is very similar to Alacrity in healers post 1.3. It's there, it can be used, it's nice to have it, but there are other stats that should take priority.

Mordeguy
07.26.2012 , 02:44 PM | #5
Well speaking as an assassin/shadow tank I stopped using it long ago, even before 1.3. I've never needed it to hold aggro or beat an enrage. Can't speak for vanguards but I was trying to convince another shadow tank in my guild that he didn't need that accuracy and he swore by it. I'm the main tank for my guild and he was new (to the guild) so I told him to watch me tank and see how many times I lose aggro. After one trip he replaced all of his accuracy with shield.

Now in 1.3 it's even easier to hold aggro, but again I'm only speaking as a shadow tank.

CitizenFry
07.26.2012 , 03:34 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
0 is the ideal amount of accuracy to have
This. Accuracy is useless for a tank. You shouldn't have any problems holding aggro, and if you do, that's what taunts are for.

For Vanguard/Powertech tanks in particular, Accuracy doesn't even help your DPS very much. The only attacks you will ever miss with are some ticks of Hammer Shot and Full Auto (if you even use Full Auto) and the occasional High Impact Bolt. If you were wanting to boost your DPS a bit, you'd almost certainly do better with Crit, Surge, or even Power, rather than Accuracy.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

grallmate
07.26.2012 , 03:54 PM | #7
As has already been said: none. Or rather, as little as you can.

Until you find yourself regularly missing bosses (which doesn't happen in SWTOR yet) don't bother with accuracy, you will get much better milage from pumping mitigation. To a degree I think all the accuracy on tank gear was put there so we would take it all out and replace it, giving us something to work towards at each gear tier.

haksilence
10.03.2012 , 06:21 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenjohnp View Post

Thanks.

just forget about your acuracy. focus on the highest meen mitigation you can get. this will make it easier on your healers to keep you up. accuracy is, in essence, a DPS stat. and thus doesnt help you tank any better. and i know people are gonna say. "WAHHH Agro WAHH" if you are at the same levelof gear as your DPS and have all mitigation augments EX. 18 Defence and 12 power. you will have more than enough threat generation to hold agro. if one particular DPS is giving you trouble. (like a Sentinal doing 1900 DPS on operation bosses (Ex. Catheana of Ebon hawk) then slap a guard on that *****.

FillionFan
11.04.2012 , 10:05 AM | #9
Just for the sake of any jugg/guardians reading this, remember that patch that "fixed" our AoE threat? Well, it completely broke our single target and now (for both specs) our highest damaging ability throughout a fight is a dodge-able one (sundering assault/strike) so you should use some accuracy if your dps is any good. 5-8% or so seems to do it and you can get 3% of this from the vengeance/vigilance tree.

haksilence
11.04.2012 , 06:45 PM | #10
you want 0 (zero) accuracy as a tank. for every point you have in accuracy your missing out on a point that could be placed in mitigation.