Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advanced Class Advice Needed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Advanced Class Advice Needed

Cavell
07.22.2012 , 05:12 AM | #1
Which of the ACs would you recommend for someone who:
  • Will be soloing/pugging to 50, including all instances.
  • Will be solo queueing for PVP at 50.
  • Is not terribly interested in raiding beyond wanting to see the op stories once.

ACTroyan
07.22.2012 , 10:35 AM | #2
i recommend marauder, i have a 50 of both AC's and while the jugg has utility and jumps they seem to me not to excel at anything, assassins can tank better with self heals and slight range, the juggs defensive cooldowns are on 3 minute timers, where the marauder gets even more defensive cooldowns, on shorter durations, AND close to 25% more damage if played right just because of the fury and berzerk mechanics for rage. if you are playing a single target spec marauders still shine because their ravage can hold the enemy in place and they can ignore 100% armor and still auto crit force scream like veng juggs. (although veng juggs do get to crit vicious throw too) and if they spec into anni to do single target they get some decent self heals from their dots. so dps juggs are out dps'd and tank juggs are outshined by assassins. but they are by no means useless, a dps rage jugg can put out decent damage, but at the same time throw out aoe taunts protecting the team a bit. and a tank jugg has alot of CC although they are mostly on 1 min timers. i vote mara for now atleast.

MasterFeign
07.22.2012 , 12:27 PM | #3
The mara is fun, and they have great group buffs, but if you're mostly soloing, I'd go for a rage jugg. It has awesome control and huge aoe crits. And you get a companion like Jaesa that can further tear things up.

In PvP a rage jugg can run the ball to some extent and intercede to an ally or jump to an enemy (twice in rage spec at 10 metres or 30 metres).

Rage juggs are also an enemy healer's worst problem. When you use your critted AoE smash, if you happen to do so on a number of players, the healer will panic cause that would mean 4k+ damage on a bunch of players suddenly needing heals.

Cavell
07.22.2012 , 12:32 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
The mara is fun, and they have great group buffs, but if you're mostly soloing, I'd go for a rage jugg. It has awesome control and huge aoe crits. And you get a companion like Jaesa that can further tear things up.

In PvP a rage jugg can run the ball to some extent and intercede to an ally or jump to an enemy (twice in rage spec at 10 metres or 30 metres).

Rage juggs are also an enemy healer's worst problem. When you use your critted AoE smash, if you happen to do so on a number of players, the healer will panic cause that would mean 4k+ damage on a bunch of players suddenly needing heals.
Won't a Mara pretty much ruin a Jugg of any stripe, though? I've heard Juggs aren't all that survivable in anything other than Immortal, especially without a pocket healer, which I won't have. It seems like the crazy-good and likely-to-be-nerfed-right-as-I-ding-50 Mara defensive CDs make the difference in PVP.

ACTroyan
07.22.2012 , 12:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post

no offense intended but a rage mara can do all of this except intercede, and force push. Perhaps to make up for it they have predation a GROUP WIDE run speed buff AND have the added benefits i listed before.

this is just my opinion but there is no role a jugg can play another class can't do better.

MasterFeign
07.22.2012 , 01:08 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
Won't a Mara pretty much ruin a Jugg of any stripe, though? I've heard Juggs aren't all that survivable in anything other than Immortal, especially without a pocket healer, which I won't have. It seems like the crazy-good and likely-to-be-nerfed-right-as-I-ding-50 Mara defensive CDs make the difference in PVP.
If a Jugg knows how to control the situation (force push for example) I think they can stand a chance. For example if you force charge a marauder then use force choke and let off your critted smash, then you can cast force crush on them, force push them away then force charge them again and smashing again while setting off a force scream or 2. Worst case scenario you can use force crush on them, force push them away then intercede or force charge to another player. At least for a carnage marauder, you want to be away from them when they use gore (lasts 4.5 seconds) so you have force push and force choke to do that especially if they try using ravage. I like using force crush on ball carriers though.

Though I know what you mean, I do hope that they decide to buff all classes that need it instead of nerfing marauders and potentially powertechs.

Quote: Originally Posted by ACTroyan View Post
no offense intended but a rage mara can do all of this except intercede, and force push. Perhaps to make up for it they have predation a GROUP WIDE run speed buff AND have the added benefits i listed before.

this is just my opinion but there is no role a jugg can play another class can't do better.
I remember reading that the rage jugg had slightly better DPS than the Rage marauder (not withstanding the DPS of the two other marauder specs anyway). I've been playing a rage jugg and a carnage marauder though, and they both have their own roles and fun types of gameplay.

ACTroyan
07.22.2012 , 01:28 PM | #7
the rage jugg gets a small bonus to smash because of the pvp set bonus, but the amount of damage a mara can stack up with berzerk +aoe hitting vicious slashes in between completely destroys the jugg in a match overall some may argue that that is just aoe dmg but isn't that what rage is all about?