Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Acceptable Threat Numbers For Healer

Raque
07.20.2012 , 02:38 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DiLune View Post
I am a tank. I guard my healer. Why? The DPS isn't pulling agro from me. If he, as a healer, is pulling agro...then he NEEDS guard on him.
I 100% agree with you, the person pulling mobs off of the tank is the one who needs guard.

That said, I have never seen a healer pull a mob off a tank unless the tank sucked or was afk. On the other hand, as a good DPSer I am able to pull them off most pug tanks at whim.

Healers only generate threat based on the amount actually healed, not on how much the spell could have healed (simply put over healing is ignored for threat). Given healer threat reductions and tank threat bonuses, a tank really needs to be doing such little threat to keep ahead of healers.

Capt_Beers
07.20.2012 , 02:41 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by KBSIP View Post
come into a flashpoint with me. I'll give you 15 seconds on a boss, and then out threat you with my opening burst chains. you'll taunt off, I'll continue to build to out threating you. I have no aggro dumps, so if you don't like it and don't want to put guard on me thats too bad
Please don't do that as it will make your healer's life very difficult .
<HVND> - Harbinger - <HVND>
Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Pyrotech

Chaqen
07.20.2012 , 05:42 PM | #23
If you're worried about pull extra threat from overhealing... lay back on your heals a bit... sometimes i wont cast an heal until the tank is at 60 or 50% life if i know that the heal if it crits would fill them up to 90-100%.

On a side note if you are geared well, help dps down the normal mobs. My operative is able to one shot most normals when explosive probe crits, Others die usually from a backstab and shiv rather quickly as well.

Isfret
07.21.2012 , 01:20 AM | #24
I have been playing a healer as my main since release and have done a lot of HM FPs. Some of them with guard on me and some without. And to be honest, it seems like it makes absolutely no difference if Im guarded or not. If the tank knows what he is doing, there is no way I can pull aggro. Aggro is a mechanic I completely ignore as a healer. I do have a aggro dump, but to be honest I can't remember the last time I used it. The only time I ever pull aggro is if there are mobs the DPS or tank haven't dealt a few hits.
I think its fine to guard the healer if he actually is pulling aggro, but by default I would certainly guard a DPS. Especially sentinels seem to be pulling a lot of aggro (I have no numbers to back up that statement, to me it just seem like they pull aggro from the tank more often than the other classes based on the amount of healing I often end up doing on them).

bbare
07.21.2012 , 02:42 AM | #25
If a healer is getting aggro from trash pulls, you suck at aoe tanking.

Darthwolfin
07.21.2012 , 12:46 PM | #26
I play as a Operative healer. I have heard both arguments for whether guard should be on me or melee dps..I have found that it depends on the tank. In many circumstances when trash mobs show up if I am unguarded they bum rush me.. and I can pop off counter measures all I want they dont care and proceed to break my glass jaw. when I am unguarded I also find that im healing myself more then anyone else in the group. Now saying that, I have had tanks that hold aggro well, so that I haven't needed to heal myself quite as much. The mobs still concentrate a little too much on me for comfort. When guard is on me I dont have these problems and can focus on healing the tank and dps like I am suppose to. These are just my experiences... I haven't sat down and tried to figure out the numbers behind anything.

cshouston
07.21.2012 , 01:21 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthwolfin View Post
I play as a Operative healer. I have heard both arguments for whether guard should be on me or melee dps..I have found that it depends on the tank. In many circumstances when trash mobs show up if I am unguarded they bum rush me.. and I can pop off counter measures all I want they dont care and proceed to break my glass jaw. when I am unguarded I also find that im healing myself more then anyone else in the group. Now saying that, I have had tanks that hold aggro well, so that I haven't needed to heal myself quite as much. The mobs still concentrate a little too much on me for comfort. When guard is on me I dont have these problems and can focus on healing the tank and dps like I am suppose to. These are just my experiences... I haven't sat down and tried to figure out the numbers behind anything.
So the point is, as most of the reasonable posters have been saying, that crappy tanks guard their healer. Good tanks guard high damage melee DPS.