Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can I change my character's name?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Can I change my character's name?

Ricktur
04.09.2012 , 09:46 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by LoytaSolette View Post
I, too, was caught unawares by the way the game changes the name I input to something different.

I input a Legacy name similar to "van Heusen," but it didn't like the space character. So I changed it to "vanHeusen," and it gave no indication that it wouldn't accept that. After confirming that it said "vanHeusen" in the confirmation window, I accepted it.

Imagine my surprise when it appeared over my head as "Vanheusen," the game having chosen its own version of how the name should be capitalized, never mind what I input and what the confirmation window confirmed... how rude!

Why restrict Legacy names? they have no actual functionality in-game (chat, grouping) like regular character names do, so why not allow customers to actually choose their Legacy names unrestricted?

I just don't get the logic... BioWare should rethink this, remove the capitalization restrictions on both character names and Legacy names, make sure all name-confirmation windows show EXACTLY what the name will be in-game, then give everyone one free character and Legacy name change with subsequent changes as paid services.
james ohlen i think said they are working on ways to change the legacy name. give it about 3 months tops.
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

Ricktur
04.09.2012 , 09:48 AM | #32
UPDATE!!! i logged in JUST NOW and had a message saying my character name was deemed unfit for biowares ToS!!!

IT WORKS REPORT YOURSELVES!!!!!

Ricktur
04.09.2012 , 09:48 AM | #33
UGH! it resets your chat window and chat tabs. . .

Ricktur
04.09.2012 , 09:55 AM | #34
TICKET RESPONSE

it also gets rid of all your friends

EDIT: it does not get rid of your friends, i was mistaken, there just wasnt any of them online LOL

bobmcbo
07.18.2012 , 07:40 PM | #35
is there any non-report related way to change your name now? transferring servers changed one of my character names to a bunch of random letters...
OMG! Imperial ships can get a .00008% power increase! Nerf the empire!

ScarletBlaze
07.18.2012 , 08:05 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by bobmcbo View Post
is there any non-report related way to change your name now? transferring servers changed one of my character names to a bunch of random letters...
If you transferred and your character name has a bunch of letter, log on to where you character is select play and it will bring up a screen where you have to select a new name. When you do so and enter the name be sure the name you have selected is for the character that is selected. There was a bug going around where you choose one character and it would rename one you didnt' want that name.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Ompho
07.19.2012 , 11:12 AM | #37
I too tried to give my player a last name and have a stupid looking bunched up name. I didnt know about the Legacy system. I hope they add a name change option as I am far enough along that I dont want to have to make a new guy or report myself.

xNightWolfx
07.21.2012 , 09:55 AM | #38
Can you guys report one of my character names? Hi name is Zodiac-wolf and it was a mistake. I accidently pressed enter when I was typing in names I thought my look good or like. I was so pissed. It was wen I transferred him for one realm to The Shadowlands. Thanks.

DrDeadSnow
04.22.2013 , 10:58 PM | #39
Im the fool that put a title into his name from the start so now I end up with double titles and I look stupid. lol

JacksonMo
04.23.2013 , 04:25 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by NubianJones View Post
It's very weird how subjective it is.

I, too, wanted a first and last name. I tried using a space, but it wouldn't let me. Invalid character, it said. Then an underscore. No dice. Then I capitalized, but as others said, it just went to one long run on name.

I thought that's just the way the game's built.

But when I got in world, I saw toons with spaces in their names, hyphens... What's the deal?
Possibly too freaking long? You could have broken it up, making your last name your legacy name.