Can I change my character's name?

PsuedoFist

I remember seeing someone yesterday as Chuk-Norris, when it told me a hyphen was an invalid character.

I'll write some other names, but I do know titles do that.

Actually the hyphen is allowed. My characters name is Oren-Rah Antares, with Antares being my legacy name. There a quite a few people on Lord Ieldis with hyphenated names come to think of it.

• 1 month later...
I wish they could change names. I mean, they made the game and it would be fantastic if there was a name change service. I never knew how legacy names worked. My current name is Jarikdural cause at the character creation it didnt let me put spaces. I just wanted my character to be Jarik and my last name (legacy) Dural. I wish they wouldve explained this more thoroughly. SWTOR please make a name change service in the future so that future players wont make the same mistake that i made! Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

i actually put a ticket in reporting myself for my in game name. ill let you know how it all goes. my name (if you cant tell by the sig) is Madden.

that name happens to violate the ToS naming policy as it is the name of a popular NFL console game as well as a fmous NFL commentator.

WOOT! free name change!! suckas!

I, too, was caught unawares by the way the game changes the name I input to something different.

I input a Legacy name similar to "van Heusen," but it didn't like the space character. So I changed it to "vanHeusen," and it gave no indication that it wouldn't accept that. After confirming that it said "vanHeusen" in the confirmation window, I accepted it.

Imagine my surprise when it appeared over my head as "Vanheusen," the game having chosen its own version of how the name should be capitalized, never mind what I input and what the confirmation window confirmed... how rude!

Why restrict Legacy names? they have no actual functionality in-game (chat, grouping) like regular character names do, so why not allow customers to actually choose their Legacy names unrestricted?

I just don't get the logic... BioWare should rethink this, remove the capitalization restrictions on both character names and Legacy names, make sure all name-confirmation windows show EXACTLY what the name will be in-game, then give everyone one free character and Legacy name change with subsequent changes as paid services.

I, too, was caught unawares by the way the game changes the name I input to something different.

I input a Legacy name similar to "van Heusen," but it didn't like the space character. So I changed it to "vanHeusen," and it gave no indication that it wouldn't accept that. After confirming that it said "vanHeusen" in the confirmation window, I accepted it.

Imagine my surprise when it appeared over my head as "Vanheusen," the game having chosen its own version of how the name should be capitalized, never mind what I input and what the confirmation window confirmed... how rude!

Why restrict Legacy names? they have no actual functionality in-game (chat, grouping) like regular character names do, so why not allow customers to actually choose their Legacy names unrestricted?

I just don't get the logic... BioWare should rethink this, remove the capitalization restrictions on both character names and Legacy names, make sure all name-confirmation windows show EXACTLY what the name will be in-game, then give everyone one free character and Legacy name change with subsequent changes as paid services.

james ohlen i think said they are working on ways to change the legacy name. give it about 3 months tops.

• 3 months later...
is there any non-report related way to change your name now? transferring servers changed one of my character names to a bunch of random letters...

If you transferred and your character name has a bunch of letter, log on to where you character is select play and it will bring up a screen where you have to select a new name. When you do so and enter the name be sure the name you have selected is for the character that is selected. There was a bug going around where you choose one character and it would rename one you didnt' want that name.

I too tried to give my player a last name and have a stupid looking bunched up name. I didnt know about the Legacy system. I hope they add a name change option as I am far enough along that I dont want to have to make a new guy or report myself.

Can you guys report one of my character names? Hi name is Zodiac-wolf and it was a mistake. I accidently pressed enter when I was typing in names I thought my look good or like. I was so pissed. It was wen I transferred him for one realm to The Shadowlands. Thanks.

• 9 months later...
It's very weird how subjective it is.

I, too, wanted a first and last name. I tried using a space, but it wouldn't let me. Invalid character, it said. Then an underscore. No dice. Then I capitalized, but as others said, it just went to one long run on name.

I thought that's just the way the game's built.

But when I got in world, I saw toons with spaces in their names, hyphens... What's the deal?

Possibly too freaking long? You could have broken it up, making your last name your legacy name.

This is a bad idea. The reason is that it's hard to report IlllIIlIllllIIIlIlIlllIIIlI for harassing you. (That is a string of uppercase I's and lowercase Ls.)

This is a bad idea. The reason is that it's hard to report IlllIIlIllllIIIlIlIlllIIIlI for harassing you. (That is a string of uppercase I's and lowercase Ls.)
No harder to right click that and select "report" than any other name. Or you can right click and select "whisper", which automatically inserts /whisper <name> into your chat entry. Then highlight and cut or copy the name from the chat entry (crtl+x or ctrl+c) and paste into your report. Edited by Adric_the_Red