Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can SWTOR be Saved ?

Goretzu
07.17.2012 , 12:26 PM | #911
Quote: Originally Posted by Monthigos View Post
I keep thinking of SOE's attempt to 'save' various MMOs (SWG in particular) and can't help but think that making game-sweeping changes only alienates the current customer base. The game is what it is: a theme park MMO built on familiar mechanics. You either like it or you don't. Don't get me wrong; there is nothing wrong with adding new features but changing the core fundamentals of this game will not, IMO, get subscriptions up.
You can't out-WoW World of Warcraft.

It is the pinnacle and the nadir of "Themepark"........ you can only do something different (note: voice acting isn't different).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

LogunOne
07.17.2012 , 01:19 PM | #912
Quote: Originally Posted by Celebrus View Post
By the way, more lay-offs today at Bioware Austin apparently, as well as the executive producer of the game voluntarily departing the company.

Must be a good sign, right?
Daniel Ericson walks into the Bioware offices on Wednesday and calls James Ohlen when he finds the lights off and no one at their desks.

Daniel::: Hi James you better get down here and see this man, this is absolutely too weird the only thing still talking are the voice overs.

James::: Really, hold the phone up so I can hear.

….and the rest plays out like this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLqsvFO31o

Astralll
07.17.2012 , 01:24 PM | #913
Quote:
The game? Absolutely. This board? Nope.
I agree. These humans as a species are such spoiled squishy little talking monkeys.
HEED THE CALL OF THE SITH EMPIRE
Obscuri Lateris
"Fun, Stamina, Loyalty"
Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent, Sith Inquisitor, Sith Warrior

Goretzu
07.18.2012 , 01:49 AM | #914
Quote: Originally Posted by Astralll View Post
I agree. These humans as a species are such spoiled squishy little talking monkeys.
TBF if humans were trees we'd not be having this conversation, because not only would we not be able to talk (or type), but because the internet (never mind SWTOR) wouldn't have been invented.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Leggomy
07.18.2012 , 05:15 AM | #915
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
You might but here is the thing, they can put money into both.
You assume they have unlimited money. They dont.

kirorx
07.18.2012 , 02:07 PM | #916
Quote: Originally Posted by LogunOne View Post
Here’s the issue, and it comes down to what types of fans got attracted to this game and what they found when they got here.

The Hard Core Star Wars Fan,
Likely a refuge of the now closed SWG, they likely enjoy the story but without a more sandboxy elements, more open world feel, free flight space, chat bubbles, crafting that matters and opportunities for imaginative player driven fun, …their left disappointed and likely struggling not to hit that un-sub button.

The Bioware Fan,
These guys pick up anything with the Bioware name on it and love their story driven game play these are the guys that play Mass Effect 27 times just to see the effects of every story point. Most, by the time they get to level 50 on their first character realize this is a “Bioware Like” game but not really. The decisions you make have been so hollowed out and non-consequential…they’re just done! With an incomplete Legacy system and little news on how this may develop with little meaningful rewards for Story completions there really isn’t an endgame designed to hold their interests.

The MMO/WoW fan,
These guys are likely bored of WoW and looking for a change of scenery. Their passion is driven by leader boards, Rankings and Endgame Gear based achievements. The story bits just get in the way and their space bars are worn out by the time they hit endgame. Once in endgame they find it a too casual and support systems like player built UI mods, Leader boards, Meaningful Ranked PvP and deeper ranked endgame gear achievements leave the game feeling incomplete.

The Fanatics,
I likely fit into this category, I keep hanging on hopping that something magic is going to happen, and reality hurts. Fan sites are drying up and pod casts are falling silent. Even the ones hanging on are starting to sound cynical of the game with most if not all of the customers representatives they dealt with either let go or moving on by their own accord. So here’s hoping what’s left of the Dev team and Swtor’s funding can find the Force Power to save it from the Lava pit of obscurity.

So at this point the game just lacks an identity that’s hurting its appeal factor with all these factions of players it’s attracted. I really see only one direction it can go to try and hold on to a core player base and that’s to get more WoW like and try to compete head to head for the attention of WoW’s core market.
Nice observation.

I have to say Ii fit in category one and I can imagine that the title of that category is the same reason we dont actualy cancel.

Where could a starwars fan go anymore, i am certainly never going to leave a galaxy far far away for elves and fairies.

No matter how much the starwars fans and swg fans complain we are will stay, just like we stayed after the NGE.

When Bioware ignores the swg players and starwars fans, its okay because we are used to SOE and they were not much better.