Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are the Sith really Evil?

Rayla_Felana
07.17.2012 , 06:13 PM | #381
Quote: Originally Posted by EnsignSorrow View Post
Maybe when they are imposing it on others, although when such acts are imposed on them they do.
I assume you refer to the conclusion of the Great Hyperspace War, a nice point, except that I do not believe they condemned those acts whatsoever, they merely sought revenge on their ancient enemies for the act, not revenge for the morality of the act itself.

DanteKardo
07.17.2012 , 08:23 PM | #382
The Sith are Evil, period. While the original idea or motivations for these characters 'may' not be evil in itself, It's the execution in itself, and the way they behave to achieve their goals that marks them as evil characters. The overall lack of respect for life, the abundant focus on the 'survival of the fittest' and basically hierarchical power oppression all serve as marking points for evil.

Also, while the Sith believe that they handle the force like a tool, it is in the end the force handling them, more specifically, the darkside. it's influence is so deep on most characters that they commit negative acts without even being aware of the depths of their atrocities. In example Anakins delusions around the end of EP3. Or Palpatines general idea. He 'was' aiming for an orderly galaxy, and his reign 'did' bring prosperity and unity to the galaxy, simply at the cost of non-human oppression and general dictatorship.

In the end, it's not the ideals or believes that make the sith essentially evil, not even the goals they might hold, but the way they attempt to reach them. Most times, Non-evil Sith are the result of cookie-cutter fanfiction creating Mary Sue stereotypes or the 'not so sith' type of Sith'.

"Rhy'Nathar Nalcann" - Sorcerer
"Nycolas Nalcann" - Juggernaut

LahLahSr
07.18.2012 , 01:13 AM | #383
If the Sith were real and not a figment of someone's imagination, one could reasonably have a discussion about an entire demographic being "evil" or not.

...however, this is not the case here. The Sith is an imagination conceived to be the Evil, with a capital E.

Since there is so much Star Wars material...books. comics, other games etc...in other words, so many stories, it could be argued that not all and every single Sith throughout every single story is unilaterally evil. The question then becomes: can you characterize an entire demographic as Evil if there is even ONE exception? I'll eave that to you to decide...it really doesn't matter. The Sith as a storytelling ingredient is clearly and unequivocally created to portray evil.

In this game however there is even less doubt...as the quote in my signature makes very clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielErickson
Sith are evil.

grandmthethird
07.18.2012 , 05:07 AM | #384
Quote: Originally Posted by LahLahSr View Post
If the Sith were real and not a figment of someone's imagination, one could reasonably have a discussion about an entire demographic being "evil" or not.

...however, this is not the case here. The Sith is an imagination conceived to be the Evil, with a capital E.

Since there is so much Star Wars material...books. comics, other games etc...in other words, so many stories, it could be argued that not all and every single Sith throughout every single story is unilaterally evil. The question then becomes: can you characterize an entire demographic as Evil if there is even ONE exception? I'll eave that to you to decide...it really doesn't matter. The Sith as a storytelling ingredient is clearly and unequivocally created to portray evil.

In this game however there is even less doubt...as the quote in my signature makes very clear.
Well put
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"