Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

wainot-keel
07.17.2012 , 06:45 AM | #321
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I say no to reworking existing companions. I say yes to adding in new companions that can be acquired at relatively low levels via optional class quests. This way someone could have a same gender relationship with a companion prior to hitting level 50 but it doesn't change the current companions. Just from a RP stance I think it breaks immersion if a year into the game all of a sudden Kira Carson is into girls. I'm all for same gender relationships, but I don't like this notion of changing the existing game.
"Your" Kira won't dump your Jedi. She won't say "We're done, I'm off with that hot chick I saw on the fleet the other day"
If your metagame knowledge, that Kira is with someone else's female character, breaks immersion, then it's your fail as a player. Is that simple.

"My" Jaesa is LS in my universe. In someone else's, she's DS. Why should that bug me at all ?

MusedMoose
07.17.2012 , 06:48 AM | #322
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Just so long as every SGR isn't "I've never felt this way about anyone... you've awoken such feelings inside of me..." etc.
I understand worrying about that, but I doubt it's going to happen. The companions are written well, and while that sort of thing might be appropriate for some, I highly doubt it would happen for all of them.

For example,I still picture Corso getting drunk and telling the captain he's got a great butt, and the romance dialogue after that is when Corso's sober, which could be hilarious. Elara's SGR confession would, of course, involve protocol quotes. And as for Kaliyo, well, let's just say she doesn't seem like a "talk about my feelings" type. She's more a "let me show you how we do it on Rattatak" type.
Quote: Originally Posted by RoyalTTown View Post
OK, now that I have finally found "the right thread" to post about this...

At first, I was up in arms about SGRA, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter to me. If they implement it, they do. If they don't they don't. It really won't affect my gameplay one way or the other. As stated many times, bigger fish to fry. Also, for the folks against it, you do have other options than [flirt] as responses to questions, and in current gameplay, if you are a female trooper with Elara Dorne as a companion and you flirt with a male NPC, you lose affection with her. Also, if you try to give her courting gifts, you get no affection. However, if you are a male trooper and flirt with her, do you gain affection? Does the courting gifts work? I don't know. Both my Vanguard and Commando are females.
My trooper has done the full romance storyline with her, and yes, you do get affection for flirting with her, once you're past a certain point. Flirting with her on Taris, for example, gets only cutting remarks.

Being a software engineer myself that works for a developing company (not gaming), I can sympathize with the lack of response on certain topics from BW. When your customer base is in the millions or even thousands, you have a tremendous number of questions to answer. Sometimes you simply don't have the staff to address each and every one of the questions. Especially, if in the realm of the big picture, it simply doesn't really matter. Maybe in the big picture, not enough subscribers are demanding the content. Maybe they are receiving opposition? Either way, answering the question of exactly when something is going to happen; PR simply does not know. Being a developer I know this because, I never talk directly with customers unless they make a major financial impact on my company. PR is instructed to not make promises they are unable to keep. We have fired PR reps for doing that. Developers have a list of task that are prioritized, and top priority comes first. Maybe this topic isn't high enough in the priority list. Even if it is high priority to you, doesn't mean it is high priority in the game.
Well said, and thank you. It's good to hear this from a different perspective, and hopefully people will read this and see that BioWare's responses (or lack thereof) make sense. ...no matter how much we wish it was different. Oi.

Crezelle
07.17.2012 , 06:52 AM | #323
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
I understand worrying about that, but I doubt it's going to happen. The companions are written well, and while that sort of thing might be appropriate for some, I highly doubt it would happen for all of them.

For example,I still picture Corso getting drunk and telling the captain he's got a great butt, and the romance dialogue after that is when Corso's sober, which could be hilarious. Elara's SGR confession would, of course, involve protocol quotes. And as for Kaliyo, well, let's just say she doesn't seem like a "talk about my feelings" type. She's more a "let me show you how we do it on Rattatak" type.
Bowdaar would be " as a slaaaave, i never got the privilege to show feelings for anyone ...."
i wonder how akward akavi would be....shes about the only female i want to sgr
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

Rayla_Felana
07.17.2012 , 07:20 AM | #324
As far as the game rating, I will be extremely saddened for content to be added that would make the game rating gods change the game rating from T to M or MA. My favorite players to run with are my 11 and 14 yr old nephews. If this game were to be M or MA, I would lose my teammates because Momma would say NO. I realize that many parents let their kids play M or MA games, but some parents are still old school.
Same Sex relations have no bearing on a rating, none whatsoever, as long as the content in those relations is no more adult than the Opposite Sex relations currently in-game, it'll be fine.

stuffystuffs
07.17.2012 , 08:20 AM | #325
Quote: Originally Posted by AlyxDinas View Post
I don't buy that notion. Flirt options might be visible but no one makes you click them. In fact, this is the same argument people usually level against anyone uncomfortable with potential LGBT content. Because it's true. And it is true to both ends of the equation.
That's not really what I'm trying to say. I have no problem with OGRA flirts existing.

it's more like, the crap ton of OGRA flirt options plus the bugs they don't deem important enough to fix exacerbate the disappointment with the lack of SGRA romances. I know it's not forced (I'm aware that I can just avoid clicking the flirt option) but it feels like...something bad.

If people were upset over a ton of SGRA flirts existing in game b/c there were NO OGRA possibilities, then they'd have a point. You cannot compare that to people that don't want SGRA flirts at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Just so long as every SGR isn't "I've never felt this way about anyone... you've awoken such feelings inside of me..." etc.
Agreed.

Just from a RP stance I think it breaks immersion if a year into the game all of a sudden Kira Carson is into girls.
She may already be into girls but you just don't know it yet.

The female JK can't even pursue her so we don't know.
Node guarder

HellbirdIV
07.17.2012 , 04:20 PM | #326
At first, I was up in arms about SGRA, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter to me. If they implement it, they do. If they don't they don't. It really won't affect my gameplay one way or the other. As stated many times, bigger fish to fry.
To a lot of people it is a really big deal that affects their gameplay - as a hardcore roleplayer, some of my characters (Specifically my Assassin and my Sage) are strictly homosexual and I would like their in-game story to reflect that.

To others the issue of equal representation is also a big deal. Wether you simply care about the political side or are part of the LGBT community, or as in my case, are involved with a member of the community (my girlfriend being a "T") it is hard to ignore the fact that a game where romance can be a big part of the experience somehow refuses to acknowledge the existence of alternate sexuality. I'm not going to get into a discussion about the merits, just saying that it's a lot more than just a nice option to have, to some people.

Trolltar
07.17.2012 , 05:03 PM | #327
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
To a lot of people it is a really big deal that affects their gameplay - as a hardcore roleplayer, some of my characters (Specifically my Assassin and my Sage) are strictly homosexual and I would like their in-game story to reflect that.
Let me ask you a question though. Seriously, no flaming or anything, just straight up curiousity.

If you're assasin is gay, and there are no same sex gay companions on his/her ship, does that mean the in game story isn't reflecting their homosexuality?
Merkavah:MEMBER
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Tatile
07.17.2012 , 05:10 PM | #328
If you're assasin is gay, and there are no same sex gay companions on his/her ship, does that mean the in game story isn't reflecting their homosexuality?
I think I've mentioned it before, but it would be nice to able to Flirt with people even if you're going to get let down. That reflects reality, sometimes people just don't want you. The fact is you aren't even allowed to hear Andronikus say "I don't do dudes" at the moment. Not to mention even if your crew doesn't have any gay people you could still run into them in the open world. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single receptive gay guy or lesbian in the entirety of the galaxy that we can currently visit. You'd at the very lest expect to run into them on Nar Shadda, even if that is grossly cliche.

HellbirdIV
07.17.2012 , 05:17 PM | #329
As the other posted mentioned, the option to at least flirt with people of the same gender even if they'd turn you down would be a way to reflect their sexuality.

And don't try to tell me that I can't flirt with Temple on my Imp Agent because she's not into girls, she's so obviously infatuated with the Agent regardless of gender!

MusedMoose
07.17.2012 , 06:42 PM | #330
Let me ask you a question though. Seriously, no flaming or anything, just straight up curiousity.

Technically, yes, it does mean that. While the companions themselves don't have to be gay to have the story reflect the PC's sexuality, the fact that the PC can't inform the companions of that sexuality means the game's not reflecting it.

Put another way, the game's dialogue system gives us all kinds of ways to reflect the kind of character we want to play. My Trooper is a diehard FOR THE REPUBLIC!! kind of guy, and there's dialogue for that. My Imperial Agent is a violent, authority-disrespecting kind of guy, and there's dialogue for that. My Jedi Consular is attracted to intellectual women... wait. There's no dialogue options for that.

As others have said, there's no way to even flirt with someone of the same sex currently, and that's part of why this is a big deal for some people: for a game that does so much to support you playing your characters the way you see them, it currently has no support at all for any sexuality other than "straight" or "asexual". And that's unfortunate, to say the least.
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
And don't try to tell me that I can't flirt with Temple on my Imp Agent because she's not into girls, she's so obviously infatuated with the Agent regardless of gender!
Funny, I was going to say the same thing about Kira and the Jedi Knight. Seriously, how many times can my JK hear Kira's suggestion that we retire and do something fun without saying "Screw saving the galaxy, get on the ship, we're finding a planet that's one giant beach."

And while I haven't played a Bounty Hunter much, I think Mako might be the same way. I've said it many times, but seriously - start a new BH and listen to what Mako says when you walk into the room. Regardless of gender, she might as well be saying "How you doin'?"