Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Snipers not having Stealth

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Snipers not having Stealth

Monterone
07.16.2012 , 05:22 PM | #11
So anyways, since it's a ridiculous topic I'll bring my crazy idea too.

If ANY class needs some sort of stealth it has to be sages/sorcerers! When have you ever played a game where the wizard/mage does NOT have invisibility, even temporary, but the warrior gets it? Well, now you have!
Saminette
<DMG Ctrl> <Purple Cog>
Harbinger

DDSilver
07.17.2012 , 06:08 AM | #12
How about a stealth that only happens when a sniper/gunslinger has been in cover for a few seconds without any action that is broken on the first thing they do?

I don't really think we need it, but I think I would enjoy the ambush element that comes with it...

dronepilot
07.17.2012 , 06:24 AM | #13
I would be fine with snipers having stealth - snipers are not some one you would ever see coming, besides I have stealth detection as well as many classes, if your close to one, and they don't see you, then its a dead sniper anyway.
Velseen / Valseena
Jedi Consular Level 50 - Shadow - Infiltrator - Jedi Sage
Tomb of Freedom Nadd

mightyburd
07.17.2012 , 06:30 AM | #14
I thought it odd too that snipers didn't get stealth. When I first started playing him I was like, what level do I get stealth? Heh. But tbh we really don't need it. Although I don't think it'd be much of a balance issue. Personally I'd rather have the mara's version where it lets you escape from combat.

Siorac
07.17.2012 , 08:56 AM | #15
With the existing toolset plus stealth, Snipers would be unstoppable death machines. Which, in the hands of a good player, they are anyway.

Nevadie
07.24.2012 , 08:57 AM | #16
i **** damage boards, see me on the Fatman. I probably shouldnt have brought up this topic, speaking cover and concealment with civilians...my bad

snipers need stealth, even like the marauder one.

Aaroneus
07.24.2012 , 09:03 AM | #17
snipers in this game do not need stealth, and this is coming from a sniper. they already have the tools they need to deal with their squishyness. anything more would just be too much.

cycao
07.24.2012 , 09:56 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaroneus View Post
snipers in this game do not need stealth, and this is coming from a sniper. they already have the tools they need to deal with their squishyness. anything more would just be too much.
This guy gets it.

lpsmash
07.24.2012 , 10:07 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Nevadie View Post
Why does the SNIPER class not have stealth? Everything i read pre release was that it was part of the agent, not specific to one of the two classes. Also being a former combat veteran marine, and working with both marine scout snipers and navy seals, believe me they are the LAST people you will see coming. Sometimes we couldnt even find our scouts when we had to pick them up. So yea back to swtor, playing both pve and pvp i feel stealth not being a sniper ability is a big letdown and we need the love, especially in pvp. Were supposed to sneak up on someone and lay a boomstick on them; if they see us they should squish us.
Because snipers are unfair IRL. They are very far away and hidden somewhere, raining down precise shots on unsuspecting opponents who can't see them.

In a game, this doesn't translate well. The very long range (from across the map, for example) would be unfair and being stealthed while shooting would be even less fair, even though it would be a bit more realistic.

But then, if you want realistic, why are Jedi Masters and members of the Dark Council getting killed by an agent, bounty hounter, ship captain or republic trooper? All the gear in the world is nothing next to the force. I get that some non force users (the elite) are geared enough to fight some Jedi or Sith, but not the elite (masters and dark council members).

Quote:
If ANY class needs some sort of stealth it has to be sages/sorcerers! When have you ever played a game where the wizard/mage does NOT have invisibility, even temporary, but the warrior gets it? Well, now you have!
Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors are still adept of the force, even though they don't use lightning. Choke, stasis, scream, leap, push, etc are all force abilities, even though they are not wearing light armor. This isn't your standard wizard/fighter/thief game.

Rompdomp
07.24.2012 , 10:12 AM | #20
It would be hilarious if they had some sort of stealth crawl ability. You would very slowly army crawl while in stealth, that way if you wanted to use it you could spend 5 minutes slowly sneaking into perfect position. Hell maybe they could add some mud for you to crawl through on the maps. You would slowly work your way into position, target that sage healer, blow it up, and sneak away into the night. Maybe not super helpful to the team but it would be awesome.