Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do you not play ranked PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why do you not play ranked PvP?

Mournblood's Avatar


Mournblood
07.16.2012 , 11:00 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by VoidJustice View Post
When YOU rolled imperial cause you JUST HAD TOO cause <insert short sited selfish reason here>... YOU CHOSE TO NEVER EVER HAVE MEANINGFULL OPEN WORLD PVP. GG!

and NO if you were republic you couldn't fight 10 on 1 and win... try it if your so sure you could.

If your not happy about this... REROLL REPUBLIC WITH A BUNCH OF FRIENDS.

otherwise help us fix the Warzones then we'll push for big Wz's... like 100 on 100 and that will feel like OWPVP but without the issue that Impreial outnumber Republic at insane game destroying rates.
That's not true everywhere, like my server. There's far more Republic who PvP on my server than Imperials, and the population balance slightly favors them as well. There's also ways to artificially manage population imbalances for world PvP that other MMOs have already successfully implemented.

DarthOvertone's Avatar


DarthOvertone
07.16.2012 , 11:04 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
Why aren't you playing ranked PvP matches?
I can't find a good team to play with on my Pub main. The majority of my guildies seem to think RWZs are for grinding WH gear, not fighting good fights. I've been really disappointed with my peeps in this regard.

My Imp main is just now getting some WH pieces and he is not yet properly geared for RWZs. So he hasn't stepped foot in a RWZ yet.
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1 & S2-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Battlemaster Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

LarryRow's Avatar


LarryRow
07.16.2012 , 11:11 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
If you're doing Ranked WZs for the Rated commendations, then chances are, you've already lost because you're not in full WH. There's a significant difference in gear now between fully augmented WH and non-augmented BM gear.
BM can be augmented. Why does no one factor that in whenever they do stat math on the gear difference? A lot of folks have BM/WH mix, all augmented, which is pretty viable.

Quote:
Farming Rated WZs for Rated commendations is also not really what they were intended for. They were intended for a higher level of competitive PvP where the intention is to win, not to lose your way through the Rated commendations grind.
Then Bioware shouldn't have made it the fastest way to obtain the gear you need for competitive play. They probably didn't "miss" this, they are probably encouraging ranked participation. If both factions are running some pug teams, it should be fair, no? Perhaps all that is needed is better match making.

Quote:
The other major problem I forgot to mention in my earlier list is that there is currently no penalty for a team quitting a losing match to avoid losing Rating. So if you happen to be outplaying a better Ranked team, chances are they will all quit the match the moment they realize they can't win. Ranked WZs will never mean anything until this is addressed.
I am reasonably certain this not true. From the moment the ranked queue pops, if you decline the queue or leave the match for any reason, including a disconnect, your rating is impacted exactly as it would have been if you'd lost. Anyone confirm?

CKNairb's Avatar


CKNairb
07.16.2012 , 11:13 AM | #104
i dont play ranked as there is no upgrades that ranked provides over regular.

and i have no need to stroke an E-Peen
Blighton
Sith Assassin

islander's Avatar


islander
07.16.2012 , 11:17 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
It seemed that everyone was disappointed when ranked matches were left out of 1.2, but now that they are here with 1.3 there does not seem to be too many of them happening at least not on my server (Bergeren Colony).

The reason I don't participate in them is because I cannot find people that want to, their reasons vary, so I wanted to ask the general PvP populace.

Why aren't you playing ranked PvP matches?

If you are I don't really want to know, but it seems like few are.
1) My expertise level isn't where I want it (I want to get to 1250 first, optimally). I'm at 1215 now.
2) Not enough folks in my guild do it at one time - getting 8 man together isn't easy

I've done 6 pugs and they've all been losses. Not all bad ones, but still. I dunno. I will be doing some more pugging just because it does end up paying slightly better even if losing. Still, losing sucks.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

DSafana's Avatar


DSafana
07.16.2012 , 11:18 AM | #106
I'm not l33t . No ranked wants my A/C or spec, even thou I have 1200 exp and 1900 main stat. So unless they allow solo queue, I won't be invited to play in their reindeer games.

SgtBranham's Avatar


SgtBranham
07.16.2012 , 11:20 AM | #107
It comes down mostly to group comp and class balance. Its extremely difficult to pug into a viable group for ranked.

If you don't have a Maruader for predation, your going to lose because you can't get to nodes quick enough. If you don't have at least a couple Powertechs for focus fire, your going to lose out to their burst.

I know class balance is a difficult thing but being excluded from teams just because you don't want to play the spec they want you to play is frustrating. I have a Juggernaut and love the Vengeance build. I like the playstyle, i like the the balance of survivability and damage output, and i like several of the talents. Yet, i am not rage and lack the auto 5k hit burst so I am not taken for ranked warzones.

What really needs to happen is a design shift to where certain class abilities are less important.

KiranK's Avatar


KiranK
07.16.2012 , 11:26 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Isislol View Post
Oh yea, all these valor 90+ FOTM rerollers on my team.
How does getting free top pvp gear is making pvp better again? The same have been said about giving people basically free BM gear and did it make pvp better? No. You still see tons of trash players in WZs, you even see some pve'rs doing them for the gear now.
If you are pvp'er the gear will come fast enough, it's the bads or people who only do pvp daily that cry about gear holding them back.
So what if "bads" have decent gear? Does that hurt your ego somehow? Why do you care if everyone has equal gear? Why should it matter. This only proves that you're one of those "bads" and can only beat the other "bads" because you're gear is better. If you weren't, you wouldn't care about their gear being as good as yours.
There's no QQing in baseball.

Mancer's Avatar


Mancer
07.16.2012 , 11:33 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by CKNairb View Post
i dont play ranked as there is no upgrades that ranked provides over regular.

and i have no need to stroke an E-Peen
Thi is a pretty good response! +1
I achieved the ultimate level of SWTOR endgame: Forum ranting & trolling!

Acento's Avatar


Acento
07.16.2012 , 11:41 AM | #110
Mainly because my guild is not very PvP-centric and doesn't prefer to put groups together. Leaving me with trying to pug a group, and unfortunately there is never much demand for Mercs, regardless of how well geared I am.

Since the patch, I've played in only 12 ranked matched, with a .500 record. I just don't see the incentive to play...I'm already full WH gear, so I don't particularly need to grind ranked comms faster, especially when the rated gear provides nothing more. I don't really care for any of the mounts attainable at certain ranks, and I've never been one for pet collecting either. I'm also satisfied with my current color crystals, and don't do much with crafting.

I'll probably mess around with it more when Solo Queue gets implemented, but in the meantime, there's just too lacking of incentives to go thru the headache of finding and maintaining a group.

In my opinion, I don't think the rating system fits well with objective based PvP like Warzones. I would probably buy into it more with just a straight death match game, but I find it too frustrating to rely on seven other peoples' ability to focus on specific non-killing objectives to garner a better rating...just too many people out there that refuse to channel their focus in the right area.