Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lost Island observation

grallmate
07.12.2012 , 07:37 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by NoxiousAlby View Post
Stick with it Jeff, you'll get there in the end and yes pve end game content can be alot of fun. I suggest you join the SM EV & KP dungeon finder if you have the time to sit and play for an hour or 2. it will help gear your character faster and once you learn the fights (which are all easier than HM LI) do the HM versions. It will gear you in Rakata gear much faster and help with HM LI.

I just wish that for players like yourself who are determined and putting in the effort to try and clear this new content the rewards were more inline with current difficulty in the game. As I said above you will gear your character faster, easier, and more efficiently pugging HM EV & KP than you would HM LI.
You would also gear your character faster running SM Ops than Tier 1 HM FPs. That point is not relevant to HM LI rewards.

Ops rewards: 8 players, 2 hours, 10 "tier" pieces.
FP: 4 players, 30-45 minutes, 1 "tier" piece.

Net reward per player per hour: Op 0.625. FP 0.5.

I'm only including the top tier available for that run, Columi or Rakata as applicable, and not factoring in lower tier gear, where Ops step ahead even further.

Anyway, LI is inline with other FP/Ops with the rewards, it just has a steeper learning curve.

Khevar
07.12.2012 , 08:14 PM | #92
My gear is fine with the exception of Columi MH. Currently I'm using a Tionese one with Columi mods -- want that 24 barrel.

I know I can get it by either KP Story end boss or LI HM end boss. I'm working through both, so whichever comes first. I will still fully finish both regardless. The gear reward is nice, but overcoming difficult content is part of the reason I play the end game at all.

XhenD
07.13.2012 , 06:00 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by JeffKretz View Post
Just to add my voice to the pot.

I'm a new mmo player (been playing RPGs/other pc games for 25 years but never an mmo until TOR). I was drawn in as a Star Wars fan. I was convinced to try this because it was solo-friendly and I had no interest in joining a guild, doing endgame content or anything. My plan was to do the storyline quests for the 8 classes and stop.

So.

I've somehow changed into someone who likes the endgame content, HM FPs and the raid progression. I've been pugging HMFPs since 1.3 dropped and having a blast meeting new people etc, etc. etc.

I personally find HM LI very difficult and have not yet made it past the first boss.

However, I have no desire to have the difficulty adjusted in any way. I'm looking forward to getting my Columi MH when I eventually finish it. And as a Commando dps, I'll be very happy when that happens. pew pew pew

Instead, I will read strategies for fighting that boss, learn my class better, become a better player. Sooner or later I will win and feel like I accomplished something, and continue on with harder ops.

Just my $0.02.
hey Jeff, SWTOR is also my first MMO, and I only bought it because I want to play through the story (myself being a KotOR fan). But sadly, playing MMO means you have to get better with your class, become a better "player", join a guild bla bla bla, if you want to do the hard, challenging stuff.

If you want to just play for the story, you should play other classes, and play flashpoints and operations in story mode. If you want to actually beat Lost Island hardmode, then you are not playing just for the story anymore. You said it yourself, you don't want to do end game content, and yet, you are "complaining" about one of the end game contents being too hard.

Vankris
07.13.2012 , 08:10 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
You would also gear your character faster running SM Ops than Tier 1 HM FPs. That point is not relevant to HM LI rewards.

Ops rewards: 8 players, 2 hours, 10 "tier" pieces.
FP: 4 players, 30-45 minutes, 1 "tier" piece.

Net reward per player per hour: Op 0.625. FP 0.5.

I'm only including the top tier available for that run, Columi or Rakata as applicable, and not factoring in lower tier gear, where Ops step ahead even further.

Anyway, LI is inline with other FP/Ops with the rewards, it just has a steeper learning curve.
you need to take in consideration that Lost island flashpoint could be chain, while hard mode SOA and normal Toth and Zorn (the other source of rakata chest) can only be killed once a week.

This make the lost island the most efficient method to specifically farm the rakata chest.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

Khevar
07.13.2012 , 10:56 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by XhenD View Post
hey Jeff, SWTOR is also my first MMO, and I only bought it because I want to play through the story (myself being a KotOR fan). But sadly, playing MMO means you have to get better with your class, become a better "player", join a guild bla bla bla, if you want to do the hard, challenging stuff.

If you want to just play for the story, you should play other classes, and play flashpoints and operations in story mode. If you want to actually beat Lost Island hardmode, then you are not playing just for the story anymore. You said it yourself, you don't want to do end game content, and yet, you are "complaining" about one of the end game contents being too hard.
You misunderstood my post.

When I first started TOR, I had no intention of doing end-game content. However, I've since found it fun and I really like doing it and am having a great time.

I'm not "complaining" that LI is too hard. I'm saying that I haven't yet mastered it.

I've also stated that I'm actively working on getting better so that I can complete it.

I like Lost Island like it is just fine -- don't make it any easier.

I should also note that I am still doing the story of all 8 classes. I do endgame with my group when they're available, and run my other characters when they're not. I get the best of both worlds.

grallmate
07.13.2012 , 03:33 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Vankris View Post
you need to take in consideration that Lost island flashpoint could be chain, while hard mode SOA and normal Toth and Zorn (the other source of rakata chest) can only be killed once a week.

This make the lost island the most efficient method to specifically farm the rakata chest.
I'm confused what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that it should be easier because it can be chained? Or that the rewards are fine? Or that it should have a lockout?

I was trying to highlight that the rewards are in line with other flash points and don't need to be increased (aside from Columi comms). Similarly that it is sufficiently difficult and should not be changed.

NasherUK
07.13.2012 , 04:51 PM | #97
LI is aimed at people who have finished the first 2 Ops (EV and KP). If you are not at that level then you will find it much harder. Also pugging it makes it even harder, because you get a lot of people who can't play in the group finder.

But don't compare the difficulty of SWTOR to WOW. WOW is notoriously easy (literally 99% of the content is window licking easy). Most MMORPGs are around swtor's level of difficulty, or harder.

DiLune
07.13.2012 , 05:00 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by NasherUK View Post
LI is aimed at people who have finished the first 2 Ops (EV and KP). If you are not at that level then you will find it much harder. Also pugging it makes it even harder, because you get a lot of people who can't play in the group finder.

But don't compare the difficulty of SWTOR to WOW. WOW is notoriously easy (literally 99% of the content is window licking easy). Most MMORPGs are around swtor's level of difficulty, or harder.
Current WoW. "Ancient" WoW raiding and instances were much harder.

NasherUK
07.13.2012 , 05:04 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by DiLune View Post
Current WoW. "Ancient" WoW raiding and instances were much harder.
They were back in TBC, the top tier stuff was probably the hardest content ever in wow. But mid way through WOTLK they decided that chimps were their new target audience and made everything stupidly easy. In the most recent expansion it was just a joke. We used to get eachother killed for laughs and stuff faceroll it on 25man heroic :/

NoxiousAlby
07.13.2012 , 08:36 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
I'm confused what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that it should be easier because it can be chained? Or that the rewards are fine? Or that it should have a lockout?

I was trying to highlight that the rewards are in line with other flash points and don't need to be increased (aside from Columi comms). Similarly that it is sufficiently difficult and should not be changed.
Your statement that the rewards are in line with the other flashpoints but what you fail to recognize is that the level of difficulty is not.

Regardless how many people believe the rewards are fine as they are I will never understand how the bosses for HM EV & KP as well as the first 3 bosses in SM EC are easier than HM LI and yet the rewards are greater. It makes absolutely no sense to me how more challenging content offers lesser reward, and for those coming late to the discussion i'm happy with the way HM LI is, just not the rewards.
You also mentioned earlier about time invested, my raid group does HM EV & KP in 80min each and thats taking the time to masterloot & /roll for gear. Take away another 20min for time wasted distributing loot and both raids are easily doable in an hour each if you chain pull and are on top of your game.