Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confused about this game or the direction of MMOs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Confused about this game or the direction of MMOs

Shlamorel
07.13.2012 , 09:00 AM | #21
OP - are you using the group finder to find teammates for the lower level content? I use it on my alts and it's great for finding others that are questing on the same planets as me, or for flashpoints.

Regarding the solo-aspect of the game. It does seem more and more MMO's are incoporating more solo content into the genre. Whether this is good or bad is up to interpretation - everyone has their own opinion on it.

Personally I enjoy content that requires teamwork, so if the MMO genre heads further in the solo direction I may re-subscribe to one of the older games that fit my style more... or worse... give up MMO's altogether in favor of online console games.

I don't think the amount of ease/solo content is inherently bad... I just don't prefer it so it's not very desirable to me. I can understand why many people enjoy their solo content though.
Shlamorel Sta'raeth - Jedi Seer
Dragonbrand
------------
I vow to try and respond in a constructive and positive manner

bekkilyn
07.13.2012 , 09:05 AM | #22
I've been playing various MMO's since Ultima Online first came out and have soloed in every single one of them. I've also played in groups numerous times, but I've been able to solo to at least level 20 in every game that actually had levels.

There are plenty of ways to find groups in SWTOR. The new group finder is one of them. Also, unless you have decided to remain on a dead server, general chat is full of people forming groups on every planet I've visited. Join up with one of those, or form your own group. There are also the PvP warzones. Those are always in a group. I've probably grouped with other people every day because of those.

Also as others have mentioned, if you're just blind inviting, then no wonder people wouldn't be accepting your requests. Many of us find blind invites to be rude and will decline them even if we would ordinarily agree to be in a group when actually *asked* first. There is almost nothing I hate more than going about my business and then having some nitwit I don't know rudely pop a box up in front of my face. I had group invites on auto-decline until I'd keep forgetting to turn it off before planned invites.

CosmicKat
07.13.2012 , 09:08 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SajmanPeetee View Post
Very much agreed.

There's no 'skill' in any MMO or atleast the PvE portions. You're playing against a set number of fixed variables. In order to be successful you need to learn fight mechanics and farm the necessary gear, both of these takes time but neither takes skill.

The only difference between EQ vs WoW vs Swtor is time. EQ it took months to years to reach max level, in WoW it took weeks, and in Swtor it takes 4 days.

There are plenty of MMO's that require "skill", or the gaming equivalent of skill. There is none required for PvE in TOR. Every MOB fights exactly the same, there is NO AI! No MOB ever does anything other than unload it's attacks on you. There were more tactics involved in EQ's newbie zones than are required in TOR's epic questline fights (at least up to level 30, after that, I don't know). There are a few rare instances of a patroller that you need to watch for but other than that, MOB's are just bags of experience that you run up to, hit a couple of keys and collect the bag. The real definition of a "grind" isn't how many MOB's it takes to level, or how much time, it is how grindingly boring that process is. When there is no challenge, or thought required, killing 5 MOB's is more "grindy" than killing 1000 that require thought to kill.

TOR does not hold a candle to EQ in regards to challenge. That's not entirely a negative, as EQ could be much more challenging than was "fun". The truly sad part is that it doesn't hold a candle, challenge-wise, to other simple games like City of Heroes.

Up till TOR, I have never played any game, MMO or solo where any piece of gear was ever "required". In general, any gear appropriate for your level was perfectly fine. The choice of what to wear or wield always came down to "Do I want to look cool or do I want to do an extra 0.0005% damage?".

This is not meant to pan TOR, just to point out that it is unique in its ultra-simplicity and that the simplicity is severely affecting it's ability to retain customers.

JetAten
07.13.2012 , 09:33 AM | #24
I think the future of MMOs is going to be hybrid single player/multiplayer. The latest releases of new games are all moving in that direction.

Arkerus
07.13.2012 , 10:34 AM | #25
This is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to take a jab at TOR as a single player game. Nice try OP. We've seen it before. You can stop pretending now.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Erasimus
07.13.2012 , 10:57 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
yup, since WOW hit the market the MMORPGs got dumbed down and are easy mode!
Before WoW MMOs were niche games. GameSpot speaking of WoW in 2004 - "Though massively multiplayer online role-playing games have been around for years, it has taken this long for the genre's breakthrough hit to finally emerge. " Here is the 2004 Gamespot review that came from: GameSpon 2004 WoW Review

Vanilla WoW had Elites wandering all over the maps, most of them are gone now and experience gains are vastly inflated compared to the original, but after all who wants to take months to get to 85? I played a lot when I started WoW and it took me over 4 months to get to 60. By the first expansion less than 10% of the people had successfully completed the current raids.

That was then, this is now. SWTOR is the easiest MMO to level in I've played, ever, and I've played a lot of them over the years. I like SWTOR. I do believe they should have made leveling a bit harder. Say hard enough so you needed to do a fair portion of the side quests and you didn't have people at 50 in a week. SWTOR has a lot of potential, but if you're going to compare it, compare it to MMOs, even WoW, as it is today and not 8 years ago.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

bpphantom
07.13.2012 , 11:05 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by StreakerDroid View Post
... I have YET to have anyone accept an invitation.
Hold up right there. Are you just seeing people and trying to invite them to a team?
@bpphantom - The Forgotten Legacy
"Life's like a horse wearing a suit and smoking a cigar: hard to explain." - Scary Go Round
"Your childhood memories totally wanted it. Look how they were dressed." - S*P

bpphantom
07.13.2012 , 11:08 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Erasimus View Post
Vanilla WoW had Elites wandering all over the maps, most of them are gone now and experience gains are vastly inflated compared to the original, but after all who wants to take months to get to 85? I played a lot when I started WoW and it took me over 4 months to get to 60. By the first expansion less than 10% of the people had successfully completed the current raids.

That was then, this is now. SWTOR is the easiest MMO to level in I've played, ever, and I've played a lot of them over the years. I like SWTOR. I do believe they should have made leveling a bit harder. Say hard enough so you needed to do a fair portion of the side quests and you didn't have people at 50 in a week. SWTOR has a lot of potential, but if you're going to compare it, compare it to MMOs, even WoW, as it is today and not 8 years ago.
Not the easiest, but there's lots of content to do while leveling in SWTOR. A year and a bit ago, a couple of weeks before Cataclysm, I went back to WoW and took a hunter (dur) to 55 in around 2 weeks of casual play.
@bpphantom - The Forgotten Legacy
"Life's like a horse wearing a suit and smoking a cigar: hard to explain." - Scary Go Round
"Your childhood memories totally wanted it. Look how they were dressed." - S*P

pipda
07.13.2012 , 11:08 AM | #29
OP you are right. This game doesn't add much to the same formula WOW uses, called a "theme park MMO". It actually has a lot less.

So don't expect much in this game different from WoW when you get down to brass tacks. There are a few variations on the tired old formula, like how quests are presented, space missions and some parts of the legacy system to name a few but at the end of the day its the same thing. Instanced PVP with PVP gear that has specific PVP stats. Gear grind in Hard Modes then gear grind in raids. Majority of leveling content can be solo'd and what can't be solo'd can be easily considered optional.

The real charm that TOR has above other WOW clones is the sci-fi setting. It doens't have the smoothest combat, it definitely doesn't have the best customer service and it lacks a lot of features but it is the only one that is Star Wars. If you line up SWTOR with Rift on paper Rift beats it hands down in every way. The big difference is the Science Fantasy world and that is why I play.

Nagadeath
07.13.2012 , 11:23 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by bpphantom View Post
Hold up right there. Are you just seeing people and trying to invite them to a team?
that's what i was thinking.

this might be the problem. most people don't like random invites. if you are going to invite someone to a group you might want to talk to them first. i know i always decline random invites.

most of the people i have known while playing mmo's for the last 12 years or so consider a random invite with no discussion before hand rude.

i know there are some people who think that they can just pick a name from a list and click invite and everyone should just accept. however most people want to know what they are being invited for. there are exceptions, such as if you are both standing waiting on a quest boss to spawn random invites are ok then.