Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Warrior: Tank or DPS at 20...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Sith Warrior: Tank or DPS at 20...

behindthejab
07.12.2012 , 08:31 AM | #1
I'm new to Star Wars, but a veteran to MMOs. I've Main Tanked in EQ, and WoW and have also been Main Assist and a top tier damage dealer.

I'm not looking to try a great deal of characters, as I have limited play time these days so I'm trying to decide between going tank or dps as a Sith Warrior. I'm not super intersted in deviatiating from this guy as I like the dark jedi idea and prefer melee whether it's dps tanking.

What I would like help with is figuring out if I should go tank or dps, and that is hard without understanding how those roles actually work at the higher lvls of this game.

Is tanking similar to tanking in other MMO where I generate and try to keep threat while dps focus and support CC's additional targets, or does it work completely different?

Do tanks stand up well in PVP since there is no duel speccing option? Was very frustrating to do anything but carry a flag in WoW as a tank

Are tanks able to solo quests well, or do you pretty much give up any damage output for survival?

So my options are go slice and dice with two lightsabers or go tanky. Wanted to get peoples opinions on which direction I should go.

Thanks,

Arthrax

chritie
07.12.2012 , 09:13 AM | #2
I'll toss in my two cents.

Guardians/Juggernauts are both DPS and have tanking ability. Infact, the main parts of PVP tanking are covered without putting a single point into the Immortal tree.

You get your taunt/AoE taunt at a certain level(30% less damage for anyone who doesn't attack you in PVP) as well as Guard(take 50% of the person who you are Guarding's damage onto yourself). You also get the tank stance at a certain level, which boosts your damage reduction significantly and allows you to use guard.

Most people go with a hybrid build as a PVP tank, which means you grab up to Invincible and then go up the Vengence tree to get Impale and Unstoppable. From here, you'd have two choices. Go further up the Immortal tree for a free stun(only hard stun for this class) and a bit more survivability, or go further up the Vengeance tree to get Rampage so you can pull off more Ravages and still get quite a few nice survivability boosts.

As a DPS, Juggernauts still do well.

Rage Juggernauts can turn people into mincemeat pretty quickly with their sweep bombs and really high hitting Screams. A lot of teams like to have them because they do serious damage.

Vengeance Juggernauts are much harder to get the bigger numbers with. But they have all single target attacks and can still drop people pretty fast. It takes a lot of skill to match/beat the numbers of some other classes, but it can be done.

Either way, you can swap stances for more damage or more defence depending on the situation. You can cripple the enemies attacks and protect a healer. Run the ball in Huttball. Drop people. Peel people. Mass Mez. Slow an entire team's advance with an AoE slow. There is a ridiculous amount of utility in this class and at high levels, it's a really amazing class and asset for people who are skilled with it.

Lady_Alyria
07.12.2012 , 09:18 AM | #3
Jugg damage is nil compared to marauder. I play every class and Jugg seems like the least dps of all of them, every class in game. And you'll really feel the difference in pvp. Rated groups will value you more if you are a marauder. However in pve, if you are a Jugg you'll have an easier time finding groups because there is a shortage on tanks, most people play dps. And yes, tanking works the same, but with the guard ability I think it's a bit easier than it is in other games.

Vuknasty
07.12.2012 , 10:13 AM | #4
Go DPS (Marauder).

Tanking is similar to other MMOs, however the Sith Warrior tank just got nerfed into uselessness for PvP.

Infalliable
07.12.2012 , 10:48 AM | #5
The Jugg tank is pretty effective and plays very similar to tanking in other games.

I personally would spec into a DPS role for leveling just b/c it's faster then respec at/near end game. I tend to solo most of the time leveling, so it'll depend on your solo/grouping balance.

If you want to tank while leveling, I would try hard to use Vette for her damage output while you soak up damage. Quests will at least go by at faster speeds.

Veniras
07.12.2012 , 12:51 PM | #6
Also, it should be noted you can always respec your skill trees. It can become costly if you do it too often, but resets after a week of non-respeccing.