Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

STAR WARS and bad writers...

Captain_Zone
07.12.2012 , 09:00 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by LegacyBroken View Post
Allston is good when he's writing X-Wing and focusing on writing Wedge, Janson, Hobbie and his own characters. I haven't enjoyed his work in FOTJ or LOTF though alot of that might because I don't like the direction those series have took. Also he sometimes struggles with characterizations of other writers creations, namely Corran Horn as an example. Though to be fair Corran is always at his best when Stackpole's writing him though Zahn has a great grasp of him as well.
It's hard for some authors to work with characters they didn't create or help develop. Look at the Travissty that took place with Mara Jade. (yes, the misspelled pun was intended)

But seriously, Allston still rips Traviss a new one in the writing department. lol

Those book series' themselves were just wrong, imo. After reading up on them, and actually reading a couple novels in the series, they really don't have the "Star Wars Feel" that the previous novels had. It shouldn't be about "What well liked and established character should we kill off now?"
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

LegacyBroken
07.12.2012 , 01:19 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
It's hard for some authors to work with characters they didn't create or help develop. Look at the Travissty that took place with Mara Jade. (yes, the misspelled pun was intended)

But seriously, Allston still rips Traviss a new one in the writing department. lol

Those book series' themselves were just wrong, imo. After reading up on them, and actually reading a couple novels in the series, they really don't have the "Star Wars Feel" that the previous novels had. It shouldn't be about "What well liked and established character should we kill off now?"
Well Karen Traviss is easily the worst writer to ever pen a Star Wars novel. Her hatred for jedi and unabased worship of the Mando's made me want to pull my hair out. Also the way she handled Mara and her death was unforgivable. Add in her arrogant and *****ly approach to the fan's rightful criticism and you have one writer who should never write for Star Wars again. Luckily the combination of her attitude towards fan criticism and the headaches her writing caused for Denning and Allston contributed to LFL and Del Ray to end their relationship with her.

Eillack
07.13.2012 , 09:52 AM | #73
Completely disagree with the OP. Though yes EVERY franchise has some bad writers.....but Superman level...you've been reading too much poor DC comics to get a twisted vision like that. How are the Jedi or Sith all at that level? Hell we see a Sith getting his *** kicked by a knife in his back then a blaster to the back of his head in Legacy .

I think you are taking one or two decades-old accounts and creating a sterotype that isn't there.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.