Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR doesn't use the entire GPU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
SWTOR doesn't use the entire GPU

Raiqem's Avatar


Raiqem
07.11.2012 , 04:32 PM | #1
When I first got the game I noticed serious performance problems. I couldn't do FP unless I reduced all the graphics settings to their lowest, and even then I was still only playing at about 30-40fps.

So the other day I decided to see if my GPU was the problem and I got MSI afterburner, started the game, and surprise surprise. SWTOR was barely using 20-30% of the GPU and I played for hrs in different areas to see if that would change...but nothing.

I'm using the HD 5850 with the latest drivers, and I also overclocked the gpu as much as I could to see if that would change, but same thing, won't get past 30% activity. I played other games, and in all of them the activity was 99-100%.
I should be able to play the game maxed out and without fps issues. What's the problem ?

CKNairb's Avatar


CKNairb
07.11.2012 , 05:00 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiqem View Post
When I first got the game I noticed serious performance problems. I couldn't do FP unless I reduced all the graphics settings to their lowest, and even then I was still only playing at about 30-40fps.

So the other day I decided to see if my GPU was the problem and I got MSI afterburner, started the game, and surprise surprise. SWTOR was barely using 20-30% of the GPU and I played for hrs in different areas to see if that would change...but nothing.

I'm using the HD 5850 with the latest drivers, and I also overclocked the gpu as much as I could to see if that would change, but same thing, won't get past 30% activity. I played other games, and in all of them the activity was 99-100%.
I should be able to play the game maxed out and without fps issues. What's the problem ?
Poor Programming
Blighton
Sith Assassin

blowmedown's Avatar


blowmedown
07.11.2012 , 05:01 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiqem View Post
When I first got the game I noticed serious performance problems. I couldn't do FP unless I reduced all the graphics settings to their lowest, and even then I was still only playing at about 30-40fps.

So the other day I decided to see if my GPU was the problem and I got MSI afterburner, started the game, and surprise surprise. SWTOR was barely using 20-30% of the GPU and I played for hrs in different areas to see if that would change...but nothing.

I'm using the HD 5850 with the latest drivers, and I also overclocked the gpu as much as I could to see if that would change, but same thing, won't get past 30% activity. I played other games, and in all of them the activity was 99-100%.
I should be able to play the game maxed out and without fps issues. What's the problem ?
Could be a number of things your ISP, CPU, Ram, or the hero engine.

CKNairb's Avatar


CKNairb
07.11.2012 , 05:58 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by blowmedown View Post
Could be a number of things your ISP, CPU, Ram, or the hero engine.
The speed of your internet has nothing to do with how fast your computer can render frames on the screen, the stuff is still drawn and animated,

An example of that is when you get disconnected, your person is still seen running or doing whatever animation the person was doing as the client wasnt given updates on Objects and player locations from the last update, so it continues looping
Blighton
Sith Assassin

Kupo's Avatar


Kupo
07.11.2012 , 06:41 PM | #5
It could also be that this game is more heavily CPU-bound than those other games (or your CPU isn't fast enough.) Don't jump to conclusions, OP.

Mikeni's Avatar


Mikeni
07.11.2012 , 06:47 PM | #6
The more players on screen, the more the game uses the CPU. The more the game uses your CPU, the less bandwidth is available for use by the GPU. You can test this by going into an area full of objects/terrain etc but devoid of players. You'll see your GPU max out or come close to maxing out, while your CPU is at low usage.

Now go into an area full of players, you'll see your CPU over 50% usage and your GPU start to dip. So why is it dipping so low when the CPU isn't at 99-100%? Because the game is thrashing your HDD/SSD I/O and trying to load player models/armor/items/gear/info all at once and it causes a bottleneck in your system.

SWTOR's engine has gotten a tiny bit better since launch, but not much. They need to change how well it handles asset loading and caching to improve performance when multiple players are present. Until then, even players with SATA III 6gb/s SSDs and i7 systems are going to chug in FPS when the game is loading assets.
• Chrondo [50] Jedi Sage • Coolie [27] Republic Commando - The Bastion - «RETIRED»
• Pretendo [32] Operative • Bomboclat [25] Mercenary - The Bastion - «ACTIVE»

• Ajunta Pall Refugee •

Raiqem's Avatar


Raiqem
07.11.2012 , 08:56 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikeni View Post
The more players on screen, the more the game uses the CPU. The more the game uses your CPU, the less bandwidth is available for use by the GPU. You can test this by going into an area full of objects/terrain etc but devoid of players. You'll see your GPU max out or come close to maxing out, while your CPU is at low usage.

Now go into an area full of players, you'll see your CPU over 50% usage and your GPU start to dip. So why is it dipping so low when the CPU isn't at 99-100%? Because the game is thrashing your HDD/SSD I/O and trying to load player models/armor/items/gear/info all at once and it causes a bottleneck in your system.

SWTOR's engine has gotten a tiny bit better since launch, but not much. They need to change how well it handles asset loading and caching to improve performance when multiple players are present. Until then, even players with SATA III 6gb/s SSDs and i7 systems are going to chug in FPS when the game is loading assets.
I already said that I played in different areas for hrs at a time, with and without 100 players around, and it wouldn't go past 30% activity so no it's not my CPU. When I bought the parts for the PC I made sure to avoid any bottlenecking and that's not it either.

billyconnite's Avatar


billyconnite
07.11.2012 , 11:49 PM | #8
I have an i7, 16gb ram, ssd's, a gtx 670 and also have poor performance when more than say 16 people are being processed within an area.

I have tried everything to rectifty my issue. The basics, and the not so basic. New hardware, ramdisks, clean install of windows, SW, drivers. Different SSD's. Nothing will work for you.

You will not get help with your problem because bioware's using a modified hero engine - An extremely poor and horribly optimized engine for graphics rendering, partly due to texture loading and the renderer STOPPING everything while either textures load or other processes are occuring.

Bioware support if anything will post 2-3 pre-written responses asking you to post your DxDiag info, and to update your drivers and windows etc etc bla bla bla (All the simple crap to avoid leading to the real conclusion). Once you have done this they will cease support altogether, offering you no further help or explanation. There are COUNTLESS threads here on this issue, all leading to the same conclusion.

This is because of one simple fact. It is their engine. - It is their problem - They're not listing this as a "known issue" or even discussing the matter with anyone.

You may find some small increase in fps with some settings changed, and moving to a SSD will lessen stuttering if you have not already done so.

Sorry, but I just want to save you a whole bunch of time, wasting it to no avail.

Good luck.

billyconnite's Avatar


billyconnite
07.11.2012 , 11:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikeni View Post
Now go into an area full of players, you'll see your CPU over 50% usage and your GPU start to dip. So why is it dipping so low when the CPU isn't at 99-100%? Because the game is thrashing your HDD/SSD I/O and trying to load player models/armor/items/gear/info all at once and it causes a bottleneck in your system.
This is true to an extent, however even in areas with say 50 players visible, and no others moving into that area over time - FPS will still chug on any system once textures have been loaded. It is more than just storage i/o's.

But you are absolutely right - This is PART of the problem.

I wish BW would prevent more people from leaving this game by actually responding to the community. There has not been one answer, reference, or deadline given to an overhaul of this pathetic, embarrassing utilization of an engine not designed for MMO's without proper modification.

theskurGe's Avatar


theskurGe
07.12.2012 , 01:18 AM | #10
I also have a Radeon 5850, which happens to be overclocked. My whole system is overclocked and finely tuned. I constantly have ~99% GPU usage and rarely dip below 60 FPS, even in WZ. I do get drops in the fleet when there are hundreds of people on screen, 30-40FPS. (I have AA disabled)

It sounds like you have a CPU bottleneck, or another bottleneck somewhere in your system.

Bioware finally got around to doing some basic optimization to their game engine that should have been included at launch. Most people I have spoken to in game (random pubs & guildies) have all spoken about an increase in performance.

I have noticed many people posting have powerful systems, but I wonder if you have done any general optimizations to your operating system. If you have not, you can do some research on many PC enthusiast web forums.

Are your power settings set to High? Do you have core parking disabled? Does your CPU have a turbo boost feature, and is it not engaging properly when gaming? Are you using Hyperthreading on an i7? (if so, try disabling it to see if it affects performance) Is your CPU overheating, leading to CPU throttling?
skurGe-PC Specs
i5-2500k | MSI Z77A-GD55 | 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 | Windows 7 PRO 64-Bit | Crucial M4 SSD | Radeon HD 5850