Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Easiest levelling spec for mediocre player

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Easiest levelling spec for mediocre player

davanev
07.07.2012 , 12:26 AM | #1
I play the game for the story, mostly solo and am happy to admit to being a pretty average player - my reactions are a bit slow. Got a Jug to 50 and a sin into the 30s but am taking a break from him for while and want to try a Smuggler for a change of scenery.

Which AC and trees are best for levelling a smuggler ? Which is the most forgving of less than optimum play ?

Sildanar
07.07.2012 , 01:06 AM | #2
Best spec depends on your playstyle, but most forgiving would be the Sawbones (Healing) tree.
Keep you Companions gear right up to date, and you should have pretty much no trouble at all.

Enjoy the story, I laughed so hard my Wife had to roll a gunslinger just to see it for herself

Good luck
Starcaller Legacy
Master Dar'Nala server R.I.P
Now Harbinger & The Bastion
PVP Healer

Gassygunslinger
07.07.2012 , 06:30 PM | #3
Yeah, Scoundrel has the advantage of being able to CC up to two enemies at once (one organic, and one droid). Makes it real easy (or easier at least).
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

Fuury
07.09.2012 , 03:33 PM | #4
I just resubbed recently and started a Scoundrel and have been going Sawbones. I find the game play much more engaging than with my Trooper or Counsular. The CC is great and having stealth makes the game much more enjoyable. I'm level 18 now and I am having no difficulties taking down Elites that my trooper was having issues with at the same level.

What ever spec you choose enjoy.

LagunaD
07.11.2012 , 07:57 AM | #5
I tend to disagree with people saying to level as Sawbones. DPS and tanking companions are very weak, and as a sub-50 healing scoundrel (no Freighter Flyby to deal with packs), you have very limited damage-dealing capabilities. I switched my scoundrel, who levelled as Scrapper, to healing for endgame, and I absolutely hate questing as Sawbones.

I suppose what it depends to some extent what the OP means by "easiest".

If "easiest" means least chance of dying on tough pulls/story quests, then yes, Sawbones is probably easiest ("safest" would be a better way to describe it).

If "easist" means completing quests and killing stuff fastest, then Sawbones is certainly not the easiest in my opinion.

Of the DPS specs, my impression is that Scrapper requires a little more attention to play well, but I am not that familiar with Dirty Fighting.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

jedip_enguin
07.11.2012 , 08:49 AM | #6
I'm a pretty average player at best, but I've found gunslinger marksman to be very serviceable.

It suffers a little from ability bloat, but you can do pretty decent dps just whacking whichever button lights up first on trash and by the time you get trickshot you can kill most strong mobs within 3 gcd's (Instant Charged burst->Trickshot->Quickdraw)
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

davanev
07.11.2012 , 02:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LagunaD View Post

I suppose what it depends to some extent what the OP means by "easiest".

What I mean by easiest is - is there a Smuggler AC and tree that should allow me to work through the storyline at a reasonable pace more or less on level, assuming I spend a fair amount of time rested. I prefer to take content on level or one level early. Dying now and again is not an issue, but having to have 10 tries at a boss fight because a tree takes a very precise rotation to work effectively is.

Jug has worked fine if a bit slow - Sin is going well so far. Both have slightly more key options than I would ideally prefer but I can just about cope with them with my middle aged manual dexterity and slowish reactions. On the other hand Merc bored me with the constanst spamming of tracer missile.

angrydurf
07.11.2012 , 04:26 PM | #8
For smugger you're gonna want to go with a gunslinger then. Scrapper and DF in the scoundrel tree are very finicky to play and if you're timing is off it can all fall apart with one missed UH opportunity.

Sawbones in the Scoundrel tree is safe but not that fast. If you take a good DPS companion and keep them really well geared it can be ok but you'll be much better off with a Gunslinger and DPS companion in general.

Of course I chose scoundrel, Dirty fighting purely for thematics ... it has not been easy or smooth but I do have a smarmy pirate with one blaster and a wookie so I get to live the dream
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

Star Wars: The Old Republic is the spritual successor to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, also made by BioWare, and not any other game.